• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Muddy parking garage

Chad Johnson

I landed a parking garage cleaning job. Its 2 levels for a condo housing complex. The construction companies stored all their material in the 2 decks. So they used bobcats and forklifts to load and unload all of it and out and got the floor area pretty dirty.
The goal is to clean the 2 areas to have them prepped for stripping. Its basically a big rinse job.

My question is: is there any chemical I could use to help break the mud and dirt up so I can rinse it easier? I was thinking maybe a light house wash mix but wasnt sure.
Or do I just pretty much need to rinse it alone and not get involved with any chemicals?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ken Fenner

Chad, warm water is going to (I assume) break it up just as fast as any chemical would. This kind of job can take forever without 30-40 gpm flowing for the rinse. It all depends on how much mud. I have done what I thought would have been simple post construction rinse downs and ended up being on the site three times as long.

I'm not qualified enough to really give you the skinny on garages, but I feel bad because this thread ran four pages with no one answering the q outright. :biggrin:

Mathew Johnson

Thanks for your help again Rob. Wish me luck.

Chad, I have done an interior of a barn that had caked on mud and cow defecation. We scraped what we could with a flat shovel than we used turbo nozzles with hot water to break it up. We didn't use bleach or detergents in this case because of the ammonia in the barn from cow urine, probably not a problem in the parking garage.

I had one helper grabbing the sludge with a scoop shovel and put it in a wheelbarrow and cart it to a dumping site (this helped a lot because we weren't pushing the muck the length of the barn. It came out really well.

Hope this helps.

MJ

Chad Johnson

Yes I did a test spot the other day on a 10x10 area.
The dirt rinsed away really easy. Guess what I found afterwards? Fluid stains and tire marks. I explained to the supervisor that if they needed them removed I would need to use different methods. He told me not to worry about them. Its a parking garage, there going to come back anyway.
The mud or dirt isnt caked on, its just on the surface. Im looking into getting a permit and using a fire hose for this job. I'll have to see how I can do it becuase the entrance to the bottom level is on one side of the building and the entrance to the top level is on the other side. The 2 levels dont join together. I think theres only 1 hydrant around.
All in all, its going to come up very easy.

I appreciate everyones input and have considered all options and to Rob and Jim who took the time to give me suggestions over the phone.

I'll keep posted how everything turns out.

Chad Johnson

Chad, warm water is going to (I assume) break it up just as fast as any chemical would. This kind of job can take forever without 30-40 gpm flowing for the rinse. It all depends on how much mud. I have done what I thought would have been simple post construction rinse downs and ended up being on the site three times as long.

I'm not qualified enough to really give you the skinny on garages, but I feel bad because this thread ran four pages with no one answering the q outright. :biggrin:

Ken, dont feel bad. It wasnt your fault.
Truth be known I wasnt upset about it, I was trying to understand what was going on.
Glad to see eveything is taken care of now.