• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Mr. Clean® Magic Eraser® Extra Power

plainpainter

On that note, I've shared lots of info with people over the years on various boards. I'm sure there are guys here that aren't disclosing every trick in their bag.

Jeff

Bingo! Jeff you certainly have shared loads of info - as I feel so have I. We both probably have some 'goodies' in our bag that perhaps we won't mind sharing in the next 2-3 years, but for now represents our edge in our local markets. And for now sharing how to remove A.F. is not high on my priority list. I don't see why guys care so much? It's a pita process - 50% of my prospects aren't even receptive to being upsold on gutter scrubbing, and the mention of it automatically means it gets added in free - because the 'other' guys included it as well, even though they mentioned it. Nah - I accidently came upon how to remove the stuff last summer. But I've mentioned it a couple of times - and people thought I was trying to chisel them. Now I just say it can't be removed, along with gutter brushing - it's been relegated to the 'Adding' value department if I want to close a really big job on the spot.

John Orr

UAMCC Treasurer
I find nothing wrong with a company not disclosing proprietary information. If I had spent years and many hours developing ways to do something that others can't (I have - don't ask!) I wouldn't be too exited about sharing that info - especially in a forum that anyone - customers and competition - have access to. Some will share this type of info in PM's when asked politely, by folks that also contribute.

The amount of information shared on this - and other - bbs is outstanding, but don't ask Coke for their formula and then get upset when they won't share it.

plainpainter

Excellent differentiation strategy, Daniel. You have the competitive advantage finally. You mentioned in another post that you are landing jobs. No more lingering in misery on every painting and washing board for you anymore!

You are correct Scott - pretty soon I won't be visiting these boards for very much longer.

As to the oil paint not yellowing - again, why solve an issue that would force oneself out of multiple repaints? But here is a clue, if you have a friend that cooks - and that friend cuts up and skins a bunch of apples - what would that person put on the apples to prevent them from not browning from the air?

BTW - mentioning I can clean artillery fungus is not a competitive edge for me. I don't even bring it up, Scott. I will however tell them that it can't come off - and as far as I am concerned, nobody knows how to take it off. What I have found out Scott - before I came to my discovery - when I was on the premises and described how it wouldnt come off - most folks seemed to be offended - or would outright tell me that it would! So I would pleasantly shake their hands and tell them to have a nice day - and that I could not accept a job under their requirements that I knew I couldn't achieve. It happend the other day - homeowner had 3 year old splashed on oil based deck stain on adjacent vinyl siding. They said the other company could clean it off - and I told them it wouldn't come off. I've stripped decks with full strength HD-80 and slopped it on to adjacent vinyl - and in each case it didn't make a dent into stain slopped onto the vinyl - perhaps lightened it.

Back to the removing artillery fungus - I can get in the groove and wash 3+ homes a day by myself. If I have to add the process of removing artillergy fungus - I don't know if I couldn't even complete the second house wash in that day. Why tell everyone how to remove something - that I know with absolute certainty guys are now going tell homeowners it will come off - and will do so at their cheapo pricing. If I knew guys would charge triple their normal house wash rate to clean this stuff off - sure I would tell guys - but I know that ain't gonna happen.

BTW - the magic ingredient for making oil based paints not yellow is thus, ready Scott?

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

So what' payroll burden for you Scott? 35% of gross revenue? Did it ever occur to you that a $15/hr work costs your company $20 when you add in all the payroll taxes and comp? So if you do the calculation - you have to charge a $57+ man-hour - based on a $hitty salary of $15. You pay your professionals that little, Scott? For your better homes and garden work?

And there you are on those other forums saying how you can't get work if you charge that much. So that just tells me - you are like the other idiots that hire 20+ guys cover payroll burden, add in $5/head, and call that a 100k+ salary.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeff Wible

Thats great info Dan, although I'm not a painter, it's fun to "know" things.
Great for conversation sometimes, and can make me look smarter than I am, Ha, Ha...

Jeff

topcoat

Contributing Member
BTW - the magic ingredient for making oil based paints not yellow is thus, ready Scott?

ASCORBYL PALMITATE - A.K.A. Oil based Vitamin C - you dumb piece of $hit. You happy now - Burt-Man? You see Vitamin C prevents oxidation which is what you see as 'yellowing' - and the modification of vitamin to palm oil is what makes the vitamin C soluable in an oil based paint. You really irk me you crud faced idiot. You and your better homes and garden paint company - when I know the truth about you - you are just another lowballing slimebucket who adds $5 per head on top of payroll. You are no better than the rest of the idiots on these forums - why would I share with the likes of you as how to remove A.F.??!?!?!?!? Now you know how to make oil paint not yellow - I hope it makes you want to go and jerk off.

So what' payroll burden for you Scott? 35% of gross revenue? Did it ever occur to you that a $15/hr work costs your company $20 when you add in all the payroll taxes and comp? So if you do the calculation - you have to charge a $57+ man-hour - based on a $hitty salary of $15. You pay your professionals that little, Scott? For your better homes and garden work?

And there you are on those other forums saying how you can't get work if you charge that much. So that just tells me - you are like the other idiots that hire 20+ guys cover payroll burden, add in $5/head, and call that a 100k+ salary.....

This might be my favorite all time Dan the Plainpainter rant of all time on any forum.

Btw, I had no idea my working relationship with BHG was bugging you so much. Its been great for my business. How many guys did you hire between November and March? Did you do any jobs?

Get yourself some people skills and grow a business. Theres more to life than cleaning gutters until you figure out how to make a paint business work. You dont need capital, Dan. The right attitude will take you far.

Doug Dahlke

Donating Member
I find nothing wrong with a company not disclosing proprietary information. If I had spent years and many hours developing ways to do something that others can't (I have - don't ask!) I wouldn't be too exited about sharing that info - especially in a forum that anyone - customers and competition - have access to. Some will share this type of info in PM's when asked politely, by folks that also contribute.

The amount of information shared on this - and other - bbs is outstanding, but don't ask Coke for their formula and then get upset when they won't share it.

I agree John. Why should someone be expected to just give away knowledge they have had to work hard to gain that gives them a competitive advantage on a public forum? I would really like to know what these guys have discovered but I certainly don't expect them to just post it here. There are plenty of people here who share info and help others but keep some things to themselves. Nothing wrong with that.

topcoat

Contributing Member
John and Doug

I agree that there are alot of matters related to our individual businesses that should not be shared on an open forum. I dont think any of us fully open our business playbook online for the world to see.

The difference here is Dan has a history of being one of the most vocal (in a negative way) and needy forum contributors on the internet. I know alot of guys who have spent alot of time (both online and on the phone) trying to help Dan out of his neverending funk of cynicism and hopelessness. One would think that when Dan has a chance to give back, he might consider it, especially on a non-critical to business success technical matter. Or at least, not choose the condescenscion of walking into a thread and basically saying "I have a solution to this problem, but I am not going to share." Sometimes its better to say nothing at all, much less spiral into yet another classless rant. I really just hope he gets so busy that he has no time for forums anymore. That would be win win.

Damaris Sutton

John and Doug

I agree that there are alot of matters related to our individual businesses that should not be shared on an open forum. I dont think any of us fully open our business playbook online for the world to see.

The difference here is Dan has a history of being one of the most vocal (in a negative way) and needy forum contributors on the internet. I know alot of guys who have spent alot of time (both online and on the phone) trying to help Dan out of his neverending funk of cynicism and hopelessness. One would think that when Dan has a chance to give back, he might consider it, especially on a non-critical to business success technical matter. Or at least, not choose the condescenscion of walking into a thread and basically saying "I have a solution to this problem, but I am not going to share." Sometimes its better to say nothing at all, much less spiral into yet another classless rant. I really just hope he gets so busy that he has no time for forums anymore. That would be win win.

Off topic a bit, but I looked at your site and see you offer venetian finishes. Can you tell me a little in the forum or should we just keep it all to ourselves? Our little secret...muhahahahahahahah. J/K

topcoat

Contributing Member
Off topic a bit, but I looked at your site and see you offer venetian finishes. Can you tell me a little in the forum or should we just keep it all to ourselves? Our little secret...muhahahahahahahah. J/K

Jimmy

I'll tell you anything I can about it. On the actual application process, I am not the expert in my company. But I would be happy to help. That was my point, information related to the technical sides of our trades doesnt have to be top secret. I could tell everyone on the internet how to do it, but only a small percentage would be able to execute it well. We have a formally trained artist on our crew who does all of our faux. He brought the venetian to us when we hired him. While I should not be the guy to apply it, I know all of the steps and products to the process, because I have to estimate and sell them. How to estimate and sell them may be the part that I wouldnt post.

I think your question was rhetorical, but it does illustrate the point about internet disclosure.

Damaris Sutton

Jimmy

I'll tell you anything I can about it. On the actual application process, I am not the expert in my company. But I would be happy to help. That was my point, information related to the technical sides of our trades doesnt have to be top secret. I could tell everyone on the internet how to do it, but only a small percentage would be able to execute it well. We have a formally trained artist on our crew who does all of our faux. He brought the venetian to us when we hired him. While I should not be the guy to apply it, I know all of the steps and products to the process, because I have to estimate and sell them. How to estimate and sell them may be the part that I wouldnt post.

I think your question was rhetorical, but it does illustrate the point about internet disclosure.

Yeah, I was actually coving both bases. To illustrate and to inquire. I can take the post either in here or in private. Its funny with me about coatings. Although I on one hand would like to move more to the pw/deck resto and all that other service than to paint I will always find myself involved with painting. The good thing is when Winter rolls around I will be very busy while others are not working. Not that it is good my friends and colleagues alike will be out of work. You know what I mean.

Painting is a comfort zone. No matter what I do in painting I am just a natural that can pick it up. Either I will pick it up or break it off as Jim Carey eluded to in liar liar.

I have been interested in this style for several years now. If you could let me know things like pricing/products/promotion in private mail please do so.

Thanks

topcoat

Contributing Member
Yeah, I was actually coving both bases. To illustrate and to inquire. I can take the post either in here or in private. Its funny with me about coatings. Although I on one hand would like to move more to the pw/deck resto and all that other service than to paint I will always find myself involved with painting. The good thing is when Winter rolls around I will be very busy while others are not working. Not that it is good my friends and colleagues alike will be out of work. You know what I mean.

Painting is a comfort zone. No matter what I do in painting I am just a natural that can pick it up. Either I will pick it up or break it off as Jim Carey eluded to in liar liar.

I have been interested in this style for several years now. If you could let me know things like pricing/products/promotion in private mail please do so.

Thanks

I just sent you a message. Let me know if you have other questions on it.

Ken Fenner

Who knew that a Magic Eraser thread could run afoul?

Dan, let's try not to get into the name calling and bashing stuff. That forces my hand to censor and take actions tht are unneccessary. I'm asking as a friend a colleague for you to stay on point and not make personal attacks. Heated is fine. If you want to be cynical, that's not a forum violation. When you refer to someone as an idiot, or imply that they are an idiot.. that's not cool. Rise above that stuff.

Scott Millen

Now Boys...

I have to honestly say that I hadn't been reading this thread, but saw it explode today and read the whole thing.

There are a couple of points I'd like to make here.

1. Nobody can or should be compelled to share one iota of information on the boards. If it is in your head, and nowhere else, it is yours.

2. It is rude, in the least, to mention that you have a technique that works, but that you aren't sharing. This is preening, self-seeking behavior best left on the schoolyard where we all learned it. I would respect any poster more if they did this, and then had the actual stones to add, "NYAH NYAH NEE-NYAH NAH!!"

3. Daniel. I have defended you on these boards, and even on the phone. You don't owe me a thing for that. You do, however, owe this board at least enough respect to not come here to publish obscene diatribes against those with whom you disagree. You should be ashamed on a professional level, as well as on a personal level. I am appalled that you would pull a stunt like that.

As I see it, I have the power to edit, delete, or move the following: Your post, this thread, and your account. I don't do that. I am going to ask that you reconsider your words here, and allow you to do as you will with them. When (if?) you edit your post, I will edit this one. Check your PMs.

I believe the topic was Magic Eraser, please continue.

Damaris Sutton

Re: Now Boys...

I believe the topic was Magic Eraser, please continue.[/QUOTE]

Maybe the Magic eraser will "e-sponge" this whole issue?

Pretty good play on words I think. :biggrin:

Jeff Wible

Magic Eraser is something to keep on hand. Great for removing marks on vinyl siding or the vinyl railing that seems to be so popular.

Jeff

Damaris Sutton

Magic Eraser is something to keep on hand. Great for removing marks on vinyl siding or the vinyl railing that seems to be so popular.

Jeff

Thats what my Wife says. I figure since I am a painter and as much as they want to change color in the kids rooms it would be a waste for me. Thats the one draw back of being a coatings GURU lol I can do it with half my brain tied behind my back.