Thread: EPA dose a surprise visit....

Hybrid View

Default EPA dose a surprise visit....

As most of you may know, I have been compliant here in California for the last 16 years. I have seen companies get little filters to do a garage, only to get fined and out of business because their filter was more for show than functionability for the job at hand.

This last weekend it was our turn for a surprise visit at 3 am. They came unannounced and in plan clothes in a unmarked personal vehicle. They took several of samples. ( Pre treatment, during treatment at two locations on the filter, and the treated Class II waste).

They tested for the following:

Caustic,
    PH balance,
    Heavy metals
    Mercury
    chromium
    copper
    thallium
    TTO
    Phenol
    Selenium
    Plus 130 more elements

We past, however the total test cost for the lab work was $1,000 more or less. Bill to come next month.

Though this was our first visit that we had in the last 3 years, I find that they are becoming more frequent, I am told that the fines alone this past year was in the 190k for one county alone. This is added monies that the Gov needs desperately, so beware.

It is not a problem for us, in fact we welcome it since we know the routine so well. I was told by the EPA that as far as permits go, we hold 78% of all the garage cleaning permits in N. California and out of the 100% of the permits ever issued for garage cleaning since 1992, we are the only ones who have not been written up or fined as far as they can tell.

I also was advised that we maybe the first company in all of California to reclaim the class II waste for Parking Garage Cleaning for proper discharge according to those same permit records.

( 1992 was when we built our 24 ft filtration unit for a cost of $72,000. Since no finance company would loan us the money to make it, we had to pay cash. The specs are 40 GPM's and require a generator of 15,000 watts to drive the (4) 2.5 to 3.0 hp pumps. It is a 240 volt system and requires the whole 15kw Kubota Diesel 4 Cyl 2.2 litter generator to run it). Unit weighs in at 9,235 lbs or so. To build it today, we are estimating 90 to 100k.

Take a look at the picture below on the right. You will see that we have several dikes / dams. This also has an 8 inch oil collective sock. what you don't see is the other 4 dam system including our water filled 8 inch thick rubber dike. It is not that lite blue dike. This is made for us by a hose company and weighs a ton. 25 ft weighs in at 90-100 lbs. with no water. Note that we have not started yet. This was just a pre set up photo that we submit with our report that is required in the permit process.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim@GarageCleaning; 04-08-2009 at 02:14 PM.

Default Re: EPA dose a surprise visit....

You are the man, congratulations on the job well done.
    Jonathan S. Ellis
    Kleen Crete, Inc.
    www.kleencrete.com
    jonathan@kleencrete.com
    770-681-0881 (o)

Way to stay on top Jim. I still owe you that phone call. Your equipment is definately above par...

Just a note here guys....

There are allot of filters out there and most are above par. But one thing that everyone should realize.

Equipment is usually made for a specific purpose. Thats why there are so many makes and models. Not 1 machine is good for every situation.

I also use this analogy.

Someone has a Mercedes 500SL and another has a mountain bike. Both will get you down the road The Mercedes will get you there faster and hopefully a better ride. However the mountain bike will get you there, just at a slower pace.

On the other hand, you are on a trail in the woods... The bike will get you down the trail, the mercedes.... well YOUR STUCK.

When looking for a filter, you must look at the job at hand and the jobs you want to achieve in the future. If you are doing a Parking Garage for example... I would not get a Ice box size of a filter to filter it. You need room for all the sludge. we usually get up to 1,000 gallons. If your are getting less than 1,000 Gallons, then the garage was not as dirty as you thought or you did not pull up as much oil from the cement.

So am I reading this properly,...you are going to be billed $1,000.00?

Jeff
    Since 1996
    Raystown Roof Cleaning
    Central, Pa
    (814)644-1396 or 1-800-236-0322
    Roof Cleaning Central Pennsylvania
    T.V Commercial

Yes. The price for doing business in Parking Garage Cleaning.

We have to pay for any lab work done that was collected from the job site. It is in the permit that you sign and agree to here in California.

And thats not just for California. Other states will follow. States, if they are smart enough, will always find ways to follow the money.

But in this case, the state is not charging me. It is the independent lab that I get to choose from the list of 20 or so labs. Just so happens the lab never has a sale.
    Last edited by Jim@GarageCleaning; 04-08-2009 at 11:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim@GarageCleaning View Post
    As most of you may know, I have been compliant here in California for the last 16 years. I have seen companies get little filters to do a garage, only to get fined and out of business because their filter was more for show than functionability for the job at hand.

This last weekend it was our turn for a surprise visit at 3 am. They came unannounced and in plan clothes in a unmarked personal vehicle. They took several of samples. ( Pre treatment, during treatment at two locations on the filter, and the treated Class II waste).

They tested for the following:

Caustic,
    PH balance,
    Heavy metals
    Mercury
    chromium
    copper
    thallium
    TTO
    Phenol
    Selenium
    Plus 130 more elements

We past, however the total test cost for the lab work was $1,000 more or less. Bill to come next month.

Though this was our first visit that we had in the last 3 years, I find that they are becoming more frequent, I am told that the fines alone this past year was in the 190k for one county alone. This is added monies that the Gov needs desperately, so beware.

It is not a problem for us, in fact we welcome it since we know the routine so well. I was told by the EPA that as far as permits go, we hold 78% of all the garage cleaning permits in N. California and out of the 100% of the permits ever issued for garage cleaning since 1992, we are the only ones who have not been written up or fined as far as they can tell.

I also was advised that we maybe the first company in all of California to reclaim the class II waste for Parking Garage Cleaning for proper discharge according to those same permit records.

( 1992 was when we built our 24 ft filtration unit for a cost of $72,000. Since no finance company would loan us the money to make it, we had to pay cash. The specs are 40 GPM's and require a generator of 15,000 watts to drive the (4) 2.5 to 3.0 hp pumps. It is a 240 volt system and requires the whole 15kw Kubota Diesel 4 Cyl 2.2 litter generator to run it). Unit weighs in at 9,235 lbs or so. To build it today, we are estimating 90 to 100k.

Take a look at the picture below on the right. You will see that we have several dikes / dams. This also has an 8 inch oil collective sock. what you don't see is the other 4 dam system including our water filled 8 inch thick rubber dike. It is not that lite blue dike. This is made for us by a hose company and weighs a ton. 25 ft weighs in at 90-100 lbs. with no water. Note that we have not started yet. This was just a pre set up photo that we submit with our report that is required in the permit process.

Just so everyone knows, two months ago, in Primm Nevada, I met one of the keynote speakers at the 2011 Tristate Seminar. His name is Tim and he is the head of enforcement for Contra Costa County, where Jim works. He stated that they discontinued all contractor paid testing in 2006 and prior to that Jim was only asked to pay once for testing. There are no other regulators in the area that test at all. I asked him if he was certain it ended in 1996 and he confirmed. He is very familiar with Jim.

Jim may very well have been tested in 1999, but according to the regulator in charge he never had to pay for it.

These are the leaders of the other org.

Buyer beware.
    Sonitx
    702-358-7477

Free FREE Events www.uamccevents.com

• Thread Information