• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Opinions about people using these on roofs?

Damaris Sutton

Give me your opinion of positive and negative experiences with these chems.

Sodium Metasilicate:

Borax:

Sodium carbonate:

I am just trying to get a grasp of the history of what you all have used and why.

Thanks

Florin Nutu

Sodium Metasilicate:

Borax:

Sodium carbonate:

I am just trying to get a grasp of the history of what you all have used and why.

Thanks

SODIUM PERCARBONATE?

I have used that on cedar shingle and it works but takes a long dwell time. I think its useless on anything but wood.

Jeff Wible

What would be affects be on landscaping?

Nothing if used properly. It is the bleach in roof cleaners that can wreak havoc for you and the home owner when used carelessly. The products some choose to add to their roof mix are basically there for thickening and/or wetting. Some of these things work to make the chlorine work better at lower concentrations.

But user error is why you see damage to landscaping.

Jeff

Chris Tucker

Sodium metasilicate is a great chemical to use with sodium hypochlorite. They act synergetically.
ALWAYS use Sodium Metasilicate when cleaning metal roofs, it is a corrosion inhibitor.
It also jacks up the PH, and aids cleaning.
Ken, you have long advocated it's use, going clear back to the old Delco days, remember that ?

AC Lockyer

UAMCC Associate Member

Sodium Metasilicate:

Borax:

Sodium carbonate:

Thanks

I wouldn't do any closet chemistry. Some of these products can be incompatible with bleach. Even some thought to be compatible are not compatible in the high dilution ratios / strengths of bleach we all use. I'd hate to have a dozen of us all in our own wing at the Cancer Centers of America dying from lung cancer. Please be careful engineering your own products and leave that to real chemists. Hire a chemist, it will be the best money you ever spent if it means living long enough to see your grandchildren give you great grandchildren.

Hope this helps,

AC

Last edited by a moderator:

George Clarke

UAMCC Board of Directors
Anything with sodium is bad for plants. You have to rinse it off. Stuff containing sodium meta silicate seems to help release the dirt and mold. Is that anyone else's experience? Also, per carb

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Bob Gomez

I have been using sh and a former..that's it! It's worker we'll in most cases. Mostly shingled asphalt roofs of course. What additives have helped with you all. I'm always looking for a better mix. Also, what wetting agents do you all use and why? My mix is 50/50 sh and water. Bag downspouts, and rinse every roof thoroughly. Who is heading to Albany? I'm on the fence still as I have a commitment, but trying to get there.