• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Johnsons Floor Wax?

Jeff Wible

Just wondering if anyone has ever used Johnsons Future Floor Wax to re-coat badly oxidized vinyl siding. It's not really wax but an acrylic polymer, more like an actual coating. I've been messing with it on my own siding and the results are very natural looking.
Yellowing would be the main concern I think, and it even looks a little unnatural when it's first applied, but a light misting of oxalic mixed mildly takes the darkening away and leaves a very natural "new" type finish. Wouldn't last forever but, it's been on my siding since Fall with no real deterioration or discoloring. Will see how the Summer heat and Sun affects it.
Definitely adds nice lustre to oxidized siding and is very easy to apply,...very user friendly as well.

Not the best picture, but....

Jeff

Attachments

• 0412091704.jpg
    0412091704.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 31

Damaris Sutton

Just wondering if anyone has ever used Johnsons Future Floor Wax to re-coat badly oxidized vinyl siding. It's not really wax but an acrylic polymer, more like an actual coating. I've been messing with it on my own siding and the results are very natural looking.
Yellowing would be the main concern I think, and it even looks a little unnatural when it's first applied, but a light misting of oxalic mixed mildly takes the darkening away and leaves a very natural "new" type finish. Wouldn't last forever but, it's been on my siding since Fall with no real deterioration or discoloring. Will see how the Summer heat and Sun affects it.
Definitely adds nice lustre to oxidized siding and is very easy to apply,...very user friendly as well.

Not the best picture, but....

Jeff

Try RESTORA® Made by Flood. I used it back in Florida on a few houses. I have some pics I can put up somewhere. I need to for the website anyhow. When I find it I will post.

Jeff Wible

For anyone who's used Restora in the past. What was it, a wax, a coating or what? Was it similar to the acrylic polymer that is in the crappy photo I put up?

The properties of Future floor wax is what makes it appealing as a possible up-sell. It applies very easily and fast, and it has a very slight odor. How long it will resist fading and yellowing will be determined over the next few months. I seen on the internet that this stuff is used for numerous applications. Makes a very slick and natural looking re-coat.

Jeff

Damaris Sutton

For anyone who's used Restora in the past. What was it, a wax, a coating or what? Was it similar to the acrylic polymer that is in the crappy photo I put up?

The properties of Future floor wax is what makes it appealing as a possible up-sell. It applies very easily and fast, and it has a very slight odor. How long it will resist fading and yellowing will be determined over the next few months. I seen on the internet that this stuff is used for numerous applications. Makes a very slick and natural looking re-coat.

Jeff

Only problem I would have is that it is manufactured for interior use only? How would that hold up to the snow and ice up where we are at? Ofcoarse one attribute is that it is rated for floor use and no one will be walking on the vinyl siding unless they have had a few too many. Also, what would be the effects on vinyl? SW makes a vinyl safe coating for vinyl so that would tell me that I would be careful that the floor tuff does not warp the vinyl in the long haul.

Jeff Wible

Only problem I would have is that it is manufactured for interior use only? How would that hold up to the snow and ice up where we are at? Ofcoarse one attribute is that it is rated for floor use and no one will be walking on the vinyl siding unless they have had a few too many. Also, what would be the effects on vinyl? SW makes a vinyl safe coating for vinyl so that would tell me that I would be careful that the floor tuff does not warp the vinyl in the long haul.

Testing in progress as we speak.

Don't think it will warp the vinyl, it's a very mild "stuff". It's also used on and formulated vinyl flooring. I believe the Sun will be the real challenge, UV is what does most damage to surfaces.

I'm not looking for a "forever" product,..or something designed for this,..to expensive. This Future floor wax goes a long way and I can get a stink load of it for about 1/4 it's original cost at a local surplus,..and it spreads a very long way. Was really asking if anyone has actual experience with it,...I can make determinations from my experiment spots.

Jeff

Thad Eckhoff

I used to run into it on interior commercial floors every once in a while when I did floor stripping and waxing. It yellows out really badly (even inside) and is just about impossible to remove.
It's terrible for floors but might be great for siding?

Jeff Wible

I thought about the removing issues in case of the need, it seemed to come off fairly easy with a basic house mix. That's actually why I'm not afraid to test on my own stuff for now.
Yea, the yellowing is the real concern, but the oxalic may keep it reversed, we shall see.
So user friendly it seems like it's worth a little effort. Just makes siding look like new.

Jeff

Damaris Sutton

I used to run into it on interior commercial floors every once in a while when I did floor stripping and waxing. It yellows out really badly (even inside) and is just about impossible to remove.
It's terrible for floors but might be great for siding?

This kinda screams to me a "What If"

If you are no used to applying coats then it may give some trouble. If you put it on too heavy and it sags what then. You said it is almost impossible to remove. What if in removing it the finish of the vinyl comes off? Also, being made for floors means it is formulated for horizontal only. On a vertical surface may cause it to sag really bad actually, but who knows. Do the test spot.

Jeff Wible

It actually applies very easy and doesn't sag at all. I just used a little foam brush and it spreads right on. Dries in a few minutes. As I said in an earlier post, it's not hard to remove. The textured siding will contribute to it's staying ability, and also the fact that it is so thin it doesn't tend to get high build up. The test spot I posted has been there since about November,...but I am waiting to see what the Summer heat and Sun does to it.
Also being so thin, it makes it look like the natural finish. It's almost like it becomes part of the siding instead of just a top coat.

Jeff

Jeff Wible

Also Dan (plainpainter) mentioned some additives that will slow down or prevent the yellowing process, may be worth checking into that if that turns out to to be the main issue. It's kinda like Armour All on steroids. Even if it lasts one season, it would be a possible up-sell.

Jeff

Florin Nutu

It actually applies very easy and doesn't sag at all. I just used a little foam brush and it spreads right on. Dries in a few minutes. As I said in an earlier post, it's not hard to remove. The textured siding will contribute to it's staying ability, and also the fact that it is so thin it doesn't tend to get high build up. The test spot I posted has been there since about November,...but I am waiting to see what the Summer heat and Sun does to it.
Also being so thin, it makes it look like the natural finish. It's almost like it becomes part of the siding instead of just a top coat.

Jeff

I am very interested to hear your findings after the summer months. My main concern would be blotchiness after it starts to go away.

Jeff Wible

Yea, I have concerns as well,..but we won't know until some time goes by. The stuff is cheap, get some and conduct some test spots and see what you come up with. Concerning blotching, I'm hoping for an even fade out, just as the the original siding did. I think if it can be done it would be a great service to market to home sellers. It's fast and easy to put on. But time will tell if it's feasible.

Jeff

Florin Nutu

Yea, I have concerns as well,..but we won't know until some time goes by. The stuff is cheap, get some and conduct some test spots and see what you come up with. Concerning blotching, I'm hoping for an even fade out, just as the the original siding did. I think if it can be done it would be a great service to market to home sellers. It's fast and easy to put on. But time will tell if it's feasible.

Jeff

I am going to get some and try it on a few other surfaces as well like painted wood. Thanks for bringing your idea out Jeff

Ken Fenner

Jeff, my concern would be the cost to contractors. You are talking about painting on a coating, scaffolding, high ladder work, etc. Even at $1 per s.f that would be an enormous cost to a customer for a little rejuvenation that may only last a year or two.

PM me for a solution that will cost you $6 per 3000 s.f. house, add about 10 minutes per side to a housewash and you can easily upsell for $150.

Sal Panebianco

we mix it with water and car wax and x-jet it on houses. It gives a subtle sheen and smells nice. customers always comment on how clean the house smells but never can tell what the smell is.