Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SW Attack!

Default SW Attack!

My letter was written to SW for a response to their ad running on HGTV. Have you seen it? This kind of promotion will affect every contractor in every aspect of all industrys. Right now, it is my 2 cents, but could blossom into a serious problem for us all? Thank you.

My friends,
    You have recently run television ads on HGTV. They are using terminology for home owners to come to your stores to learn how to paint. It's easy and you can show them the right way to paint and you will teach them to be painters.
    My comments are not to be taken lightly. You are promoting to remove the professional painter out of our customers homes. We all know anyone can paint, however we are not all painters. With the economy down, we are all scrambling for work and business. By gouging the professional painter, you are in the process of loosing the professional painter as your customer. Look at your figures. Could you afford to loose the pro as your customer. If so, feel free to continue to sell the home owner on doing their own painting. Eliminate needing a painter to beautify their homes the correct way. After all, their is always BM, PPG, ICI etc. for the professional painter to shop at. Simply stated you don't need us, we don't need you. I certainly hope this message reaches the top of your business. For all our ability to survive, we must work together and not as individuals. Thank you.
    Our Passion is Coatings,
    Our Obsession is Service!

Terry Miller COO
    Tegrey Family of Coatings inc.
    330-418-8955

Default Re: SW Attack!

Terry, I replied at the other forum my thoughts. I totally agree. I found out long ago my local little Bennie Moore dealer could take better care of me as far as coatings stains and such, only frequent S/W for Airless stuff now (except if I'm right there and there's a S/W right there and it would just be stupid to drive 25 miles to return to my "base" store.

Good for you, Terry. Here is some food for thought. There will always be people that DIY and those that pay professionals. Rarely do those two crowds cross paths. Many were concerned when I launched a DIY site and sold professional grade chemicals to home owners. My site teaches them everything they need to know about restoring a deck. The people that buy the products were never going to pay for the service. In three years I had one return from an older lady that said it was hard work and that she thought the product would make it easy. Simple, yes.. easy? No way.

There are tons of things I can do but choose to pay someone for.. mowing grass, changing oil, painting, etc. Even if someone gave me a perfect 15 minute seminar on how to change my oil in under ten minutes without getting dirty, I still wouldn't do it.

I'd love to read SW's response when you get it, Terry.
    Ken Fenner
    PressurePros, Inc
    House Washing
    Pressure Washing Companies

Terry

Thanks for calling SW on that.

We don't need another Home Depot. "You can do it, we can help..." Yeah right. The positive spin is all the frustrated homeowners with their cans of Behr who tried to do it themselves and couldnt. They call us in to take it over and the first thing we do is go buy some BM and show them how pros do it.

Please pursue this and post any updates.

Scott Burt
    Topcoat Finishes, Inc.

I watched HGTV for 1 hr. I saw the same ad 3 times! I spoke with my local managers at SW. They are in a tight position now. There are some folks from SW who check out BBS sites and I sure hope they come across this one.
    Our Passion is Coatings,
    Our Obsession is Service!

Terry Miller COO
    Tegrey Family of Coatings inc.
    330-418-8955

Right on Terry! If my recent experiences suggest anything, I think some of these homeowners are learning the trade from SW, putting out a shingle, and pricing things the way they always thought things should be priced: down and dirty . . . I'm getting low-balled all over the place!
    Greg Mack
    Mack Painting, Inc.
    www.mackpainting.com

This is another reason for a unified voice in our industry representing contractors. None of us individually can afford a huge national TV advertisement pitching our PROFESSIONALISM. Together with enough members and support, we could possibly get at a minimum local campaigns launched. SW is "painting" a picture of us as this being easy and worthless. While Ken is right, there are folks that just won't hire the work out, the ads like this still affect those that will by giving them the impression that the PAINT is the hero and the PAINTER is just a hired laborer equal to that of a fry cook at McDonalds.

Contact all your local competitors and encourage them to join UAMCC. Lets take back our industry from folks that wish to spin the publics impression of us simply to put the focus on the products or equipment. Reality is that WE are the force behind our service and not a paint, chemical or machine.

TOGETHER we can pool resources to launch campaigns to make the public aware we are PROS!!!!
    Michael Kreisle
    First Choice Power Washing LLC
    Lexington, KY 859-983-5955
    BBB Member, UAMCC Member, GLAA Member, LBAR Member
    We own and operate a great Cleaning Service in Lexington KY as well as provide
    awesome Pressure Washing and Roof Cleaning services.

You can follow us on Facebook here...Pressure Washing Lexington KY

I really see no problem with the ad's. Their sales are down and they are trying to move into taking customers from the big box stores. They are a corporation, while bigger than mine, they too need to re-invent themselves in this economy to survive and flurish. Their target audience are the first time home buyers who really do not have the money for our services to begin with.

This thread could be directly linked to most of the marketing threads found here and other painting forums. Who is your target audience? Who are you marketing towards? Do you market to a group that would paint their own home? Or to a group with a $100 painting budget? Or customers that think that 1/2 of the crap they see on HGTV is quality craftsmanship?

I do not. My target audience are not first time home buyers. My target audience wouldnt even consider picking up a brush. But I would almost prefer that my customers at one time or another decided to paint their own fence or their own bedroom to give them the understanding of what a professional job really is.

DIY'ers will always find an outlet to purchase and to get tips from. I welcome it. Not only wil they have a new found respect for what we do I just might run into them at the store or they could take one of my business cards and sell them on their next project.
    New England Painting Services Inc.
    1-866-255-NEPS
    www.neps.us
    Chris Toscano, President

NEPS,

I think that contractors are feeling a little bombarded right now (like anybody in this economy) and are getting frustrated with the general attitude of the buying public which, in my recent experience, is purchasing on price alone.

You make great points, though, and what I like is your general attitude of self-reliance. I don't think there is much hope in changing SW marketing strategies but we can always market better ourselves.
    Greg Mack
    Mack Painting, Inc.
    www.mackpainting.com

Quote Originally Posted by neps.us View Post
    I really see no problem with the ad's. Their sales are down and they are trying to move into taking customers from the big box stores. They are a corporation, while bigger than mine, they too need to re-invent themselves in this economy to survive and flurish. Their target audience are the first time home buyers who really do not have the money for our services to begin with.

This thread could be directly linked to most of the marketing threads found here and other painting forums. Who is your target audience? Who are you marketing towards? Do you market to a group that would paint their own home? Or to a group with a $100 painting budget? Or customers that think that 1/2 of the crap they see on HGTV is quality craftsmanship?

I do not. My target audience are not first time home buyers. My target audience wouldnt even consider picking up a brush. But I would almost prefer that my customers at one time or another decided to paint their own fence or their own bedroom to give them the understanding of what a professional job really is.

DIY'ers will always find an outlet to purchase and to get tips from. I welcome it. Not only wil they have a new found respect for what we do I just might run into them at the store or they could take one of my business cards and sell them on their next project.
    I completely agree. My comments are more from an attitude that they are not on the contractors side and as such should not get our business.
    Michael Kreisle
    First Choice Power Washing LLC
    Lexington, KY 859-983-5955
    BBB Member, UAMCC Member, GLAA Member, LBAR Member
    We own and operate a great Cleaning Service in Lexington KY as well as provide
    awesome Pressure Washing and Roof Cleaning services.

You can follow us on Facebook here...Pressure Washing Lexington KY

• Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information