Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Should pressure washing companies be licensed - Page 12

View Poll Results: Should pressure washing companies be licensed??

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

21 65.63%
  • No

11 34.38%
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Thread: Should pressure washing companies be licensed

Default Re: Should pressure washing companies be licensed

Sad thing is, it doesnt work in KEC. The certifying bodies administer a written test, collect a large sum of money and you become certified. The consumer is duped into thinking their system is being properly cleaned because the company is "certified". Thats why I mentioned the practical part, you not only have to know the job, you have to show that you can actually do it.

Quote Originally Posted by RMedbery View Post
    Sad thing is, it doesnt work in KEC. The certifying bodies administer a written test, collect a large sum of money and you become certified. The consumer is duped into thinking their system is being properly cleaned because the company is "certified". Thats why I mentioned the practical part, you not only have to know the job, you have to show that you can actually do it.
    See I didnt know I thought the KEC had a practical part

I like your idea A LOT, practical hands on is the best way, it would be a big undertaking thats for sure.

Question for you and others. Should an Org like the UAMCC tackle something like this in the future or should it be kept to private companies?

Quote Originally Posted by JL Pressure View Post
    See I didnt know I thought the KEC had a practical part

I like your idea A LOT, practical hands on is the best way, it would be a big undertaking thats for sure.

Question for you and others. Should an Org like the UAMCC tackle something like this in the future or should it be kept to private companies?
    In the HVAC and Duct cleaning orgs there are many certifications.

Since 2004 I've only had one customer ask if I was certified. I still got the account even though I wasn't. This customer got five bids and told me all the other four were certified but for some reason he liked me.

I got their names and came back to the office to check and sure enough two of them lied.

From what I understand this is common.

Many times the customer doesn't care if someone is certified or not, they just want good quality work at a good price. Even if they do care, they are too lazy to confirm if someone is certified or not and most scam artists know it.
    Sonitx
    702-358-7477

Free FREE Events www.uamccevents.com

Quote Originally Posted by tonyshelton View Post
    In the HVAC and Duct cleaning orgs there are many certifications.

Since 2004 I've only had one customer ask if I was certified. I still got the account even though I wasn't. This customer got five bids and told me all the other four were certified but for some reason he liked me.

I got their names and came back to the office to check and sure enough two of them lied.

From what I understand this is common.

Many times the customer doesn't care if someone is certified or not, they just want good quality work at a good price. Even if they do care, they are too lazy to confirm if someone is certified or not and most scam artists know it.
    I agree many just care if you have insurance, but many hire me because of word of mouth, experience etc etc. If there was hands on training, I think it would be a plus, just for the fact you could learn how to do it right to a proper industry standard and then the consumer who cares would know they are hiring a trained professional

Let me go back to my union days. The Painters Union in Boston had a really fantastic apprentice program. It was a 4 year apprentiship. They had to go to like 3 nights a week course for 9 months for 3 years and also TONS of on the job traing with Journeymen. They started with the basics and really worked their way up. By the time the 4th year came around, must these guys really knew how to paint, they knew prep, they knew how to mix paints. I know you will probably roll your eyes just at the mention of union Tony, but this was a great program. But nothing like this 4 year program would happen in this industry, but hands on certification would be better than just a written test

Quote Originally Posted by JL Pressure View Post
    I agree many just care if you have insurance, but many hire me because of word of mouth, experience etc etc. If there was hands on training, I think it would be a plus, just for the fact you could learn how to do it right to a proper industry standard and then the consumer who cares would know they are hiring a trained professional

Let me go back to my union days. The Painters Union in Boston had a really fantastic apprentice program. It was a 4 year apprentiship. They had to go to like 3 nights a week course for 9 months for 3 years and also TONS of on the job traing with Journeymen. They started with the basics and really worked their way up. By the time the 4th year came around, must these guys really knew how to paint, they knew prep, they knew how to mix paints. I know you will probably roll your eyes just at the mention of union Tony, but this was a great program. But nothing like this 4 year program would happen in this industry, but hands on certification would be better than just a written test
    Hahahaha LOL that's funny, I think you really are getting to know me Jeff!

No doubt in four years of lugging around equipment for the journeymen those guys would have learned a lot. (we lugged around a lot of journeyman equipment - I was an apprentice electrician and my son was an apprentice ironworker)

These days we have to work alongside Union HVAC guys and they work slow as Christmas.

Last week one of them told me, "If I don't get it all finished today, I'll do it tomorrow.....or the next day....its all just time to me". I called his boss and told him I was adding $200 per hour for every hour he wastes of mine and after that he was moving like a ......well, he moved a little quicker! I thought he was going to have a heart attack because he had to walk at a brisk pace.

Government intrusion and union demands destroyed our auto manufacturing base in this country. I'm not so sure we want to look in that direction for guidance. (Nothing wrong with training though, there needs to be a better vehicle for it than the union example. Maybe together we can think of something new).
    Sonitx
    702-358-7477

Free FREE Events www.uamccevents.com

interesting information
    Arkansas Pro Wash is an awesome Pressure Washing Company that specializes in Sidewalk Cleaning and Gum Removal. Check us out on Facebook. Call or Text 501-580-0223.<marquee> Free FREE Events www.uamccevents.com </marquee>

Although pressure washers can definitely be dangerous, I don't believe they should be licensed. Lot's of things are dangerous but that doesn't mean we license them. Just because some people are idiots doesn't mean everyone else should have to suffer for it.
    Shane Doyle
    http://www.cleanerio.com
    805-199-2750

Contributing Member No Posting Walt Edwards's Avatar

I voted no, but not without some reservations. The simple question should we or not does not give enough info to provide a well thought out answer. I would say it should be handled State by State just like Electrical, HVAC, Plumbers, etc.......That's if we wish to be listed as a skilled trade. Each State has it own licensing board for these trades so we need to stay on par with that. Only yes if lots of debate, thought and education has been accomplished. Just my three cents worth

Contributing Member No Posting Walt Edwards's Avatar

true my friend

This has always been a huge argument

• Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Thread Information