• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Should pressure washing companies be licensed

Should pressure washing companies be licensed??

• Total voters

Jeff LeCours

Dont let Tony fool all you guys. He was born with a silver spoon in his mouth and raised in a Government Family. He also used to live in a big Whitehouse in some strang place called DC. and I heard it was during a democratic admin. Yup! he's just been hiding out in Vegas stirring the conservative pot so people would think the right went to far right, so we all would think its time for a Change

Don't let that Vegas tan fool you.......yep he related to

Tony come on admit it BROTHER you are TONY HUSSIEN BARRY OBAMA
Shelton was his Grandmas name. The conspiracy is over, congrats, job well done Tony, change is here, you did it. Now you can go back to your other job and dont worry, its going to be called marraige, not civil union

I'm not one to start rumors but did you hear about Tonys plan

Tony Shelton

Environmental Consultant / Past Director
Dont let Tony fool all you guys. He was born with a silver spoon in his mouth and raised in a Government Family. He also used to live in a big Whitehouse in some strang place called DC. and I heard it was during a democratic admin. Yup! he's just been hiding out in Vegas stirring the conservative pot so people would think the right went to far right, so we all would think its time for a Change

Don't let that Vegas tan fool you.......yep he related to

Tony come on admit it BROTHER you are TONY HUSSIEN BARRY OBAMA
Shelton was his Grandmas name. The conspiracy is over, congrats, job well done Tony, change is here, you did it. Now you can go back to your other job and dont worry, its going to be called marraige, not civil union

I'm not one to start rumors but did you hear about Tonys plan

Now I have to go back into secret service protection! Thanks a lot Jeff. :redface:

Did you hear about your buddy's doubling of the tax enforcement budget?

History has shown that low tax rates bring in more total taxes. There is another way though, raise the taxes to a rate that is unacceptable to the public then use paid thugs to forcefully take it. Your buddy has chosen the latter.

With Chris' family living in our house by the time the new spending bill goes through our cost will be over $77,000 as a household. In a year that could pay all our house payments and all our utilities. I guess that lady was right about Obama taking care of her mortage and fuel costs. He's taking care of them alright, he's spending them.:headshakesmile-fast

Back to the thread. --- Are you migrating towards libertarian?

Henry Bockman

As far as Criminal Charges I would have to pass on. Especially with the Northern states being famous for letting child rapist(Not Molestors because thats too nice a word for these perverts) off the hook with a slap on the wrist, it would be a shame for a person to have jail time just for trying to feed his family.

How about we all just get chapters started to help get these unlicensed workers on board and show them a new way. Why keep them off the radar and run them out when just a little training and the right licenses and liability with equipment and so forth they can join the fold?
:biggrin:

I'm not against new guys starting up, or guys trying to feed their family. I'm not promoting this just so we can raise prices either. My reasoning is soley based on protecting consumers property and trying to make people realize that pressure washing isn't just spraying water with the highest PSI you can buy. As a business owner we all carry insurance to protect ourselves and our clients, why should a new guy be allowed to start up without it?

In MD, you have to have an MHIC for tightning a nail or a screw on a house. Your telling me that anyone should be able to use a 3,500 PSI machine to wash siding and decks without a license? Think about the possible damages that much pressure could cause. Now think about what can be damaged from tightning a nail or screw. Does that make ANY SENSE???

Due to the possible damages that can be caused by pressure washing we should be licensed to protect consumers.

Tony Shelton

I'm not against new guys starting up, or guys trying to feed their family. I'm not promoting this just so we can raise prices either. My reasoning is soley based on protecting consumers property and trying to make people realize that pressure washing isn't just spraying water with the highest PSI you can buy. As a business owner we all carry insurance to protect ourselves and our clients, why should a new guy be allowed to start up without it?

In MD, you have to have an MHIC for tightning a nail or a screw on a house. Your telling me that anyone should be able to use a 3,500 PSI machine to wash siding and decks without a license? Think about the possible damages that much pressure could cause. Now think about what can be damaged from tightning a nail or screw. Does that make ANY SENSE???

Due to the possible damages that can be caused by pressure washing we should be licensed to protect consumers.

I saw John Stossel this morning on TV. He was talking about how, after the Americans with disabilities act passed the unemployment for the disabled rose SHARPLY and is still higher than it was before the ADA.

Bottom line is this. Government involvement promises protection and delivers oppression.

Please show me in the Maryland constitution where it has the right or the duty to "protect" you as a homeowner from making a stupid decision. I'd be willing to bet it's not there. It's not in the US constitution for sure.

Why not go further? Why not make a government agency to make sure you
don't pay too much for a used car?
CAR DEALERS ARE LICENSED TO REDUCE COMPETITION NOT HELP THE CONSUMER.
Why not set up another bureaucracy to make sure your used car "performs it's duties for the term of your loan without interruption"?
BANKS ARE LICENSED TO REDUCE COMPETITION, NOT TO HELP THE CONSUMER
How about a state department to make sure the homeowners aren't paying interest that's a point too high.
MORTGAGE COMPANIES ARE LICENSED TO REDUCE COMPETITION, NOT TO HELP THE CONSUMER

What they all have in common is some poor naive soul stood right beside a conniving bank/car dealer/mortgage company owner like a sheep (in front of a city council/state legislature, etc) and told how much protection licensing was going to provide for the consumer.

The end result is REDUCED COMPETITION and NO PROTECTION.

Why do we sit there and agree like sheep?

I notice there isn't much participation on this thread.

If you're reading this behind the scenes and sitting back thinking that YOU are going to be one of the large companies controlling all this in the future you are thinking far to highly of yourself and are fooling yourself. The owner of the company that will control this if it gets out of hand is probably playing golf right now an pays some one to read stuff like this.

Fighting for more government control over our industry is like picking at a snake with a stick.

Last edited:

Terry Miller

Should pressure washing companies be licensed?
I'd like to see more businesses licensed. maybe get rid of some jokers who pass their selves off as painters and PWers. The real problem is how to police the problem once we pass licensing. California has painters licensed with very few inspectors. That is the problem. I would love to pay an extra $1,000. for licensing. If anything, it may level the playing field. Let's do it and give me a phone # to call to turn in the clowns who don't have insurance, any education in their field or pay taxes and Soc. Sec. Let's make our business a professional business and not a way to make beer money. Just my 2 cents. Thank you.

RMedbery

Tony you will never convince people that want more government that less government is better. Over the last couple of years Ive had my fill of hacks, they will always be there, licensing, certification or what ever, they will be there. Ive seen first hand what helping someone with hard earned knowledge can do, its very hard to reach that knife in your back. So what did I do? I quit worrying about it, I dont help noobs, I dont chastise hacks (well, I try not to), and I sure as hell dont want more government. I do my job to the best of my ability and charge what I think I should and dont worry about everyone else. Guess what? It works great, my phone wont stop ringing.

Tony Shelton

279 views so far and only ten posters and 14 votes.

While I do believe that most everybody on here would like to justify additional licensure thinking they are helping a poor helpless homeowner, these snippets point in a different direction:

Marc - could be more $$ for the state

$163.00 per year to be liscenced , that isn't much money to show Im serious

We need to educate our customers (possible customers ) that the pressure cleaning industry isn't just a bunch of guys spraying water around.That we are serious about what we do . and we will pay the premium to prove it

Teachers working summer jobs for cash , doing painting and powerwashing , advertising then lowballing , these guys are taking possible income right outa our pockets . Book um Danno

John - $1000 fine with the next time being caught they can be charged criminally. I support that because it eliminates some of my competitors who want to be cheats.

OK I'll step up and say I want our industry to be licensed so to make it tougher for the ones who want to lowball us and do shoddy work to make us all look bad.

Terry - I'd like to see more businesses licensed. maybe get rid of some jokers who pass their selves off as painters and PWers.

I would love to pay an extra $1,000. for licensing. If anything, it may level the playing field.

Going on and on about saving the poor homeowner may make you sleep good at night. But its a false comfort based on a false premise.

I called my underwriter at my insurance company this morning (Farmers) to ask them if they could find out if they could find any claims against pressure washing companies. I'm still waiting for them to call back. I'm sure there are some. But nowhere near enough to warrant changes in licensure.

What I'm really waiting for is for one of the all knowledgeable pressure washers on any of the boards to produce a list of the hundreds or thousands of poor homeowners each year who have nowhere to turn because the guy who put some scratches in their driveway or furred their deck is uninsured.

If this is such a big problem where is the outcry from the public on this?

Doing a search on Google I tried Florida and some of the marjor cities in Florida. I can't find a single news report or article on the huge problem of uninsured pressure washers! Where is the avalanche of evidence to back up the idea that the poor pitiful stupid homeowner needs the protection of government licensure?

It's all made up. It's all hypothetical. Sure there are some homeowners who get screwed. Tough. That's life.

I caught a licensed HVAC company charging my customer $1300 to clean 9 coils and videotaped them drinking beer for 30 minutes on the roof and only opening ONE unit and cleaning NONE.

LICENSED HVAC COMPANY, 2M INSURANCE, 4 LICENSED TECHS, LOTS OF EDUCATION UNDER THEIR BELT.
I made the owner return the check or I would have turned the tape over to the police. (I referred them, that is the ONLY reason this situation was any of my business) If we witness FRAUD, THAT is how we need to look out for the homeowner, NOT waiting around every corner to try to snitch on anyone who does a job that's not quite as good as we would have done. We don't need quality police.

Tony Shelton

Tony you will never convince people that want more government that less government is better. Over the last couple of years Ive had my fill of hacks, they will always be there, licensing, certification or what ever, they will be there. Ive seen first hand what helping someone with hard earned knowledge can do, its very hard to reach that knife in your back. So what did I do? I quit worrying about it, I dont help noobs, I dont chastise hacks (well, I try not to), and I sure as hell dont want more government. I do my job to the best of my ability and charge what I think I should and dont worry about everyone else. Guess what? It works great, my phone wont stop ringing.

That's all good until the government steps in and sets your maximum price (utility companies) and determines how much you can pay yourself (Bank Ceo's) and decides that "the best of your ability" doesn't meet up to their minimum standards that have been set by your larger competitor who bribed a state legislator to let them require that Fords can't be used in the hood business because he uses Dodges :cool:

All I'm telling these guys is not to invite the devil into their house.

Jeff LeCours

Good post. I just dont see licensing solving anything

RMedbery

Ah.........but my best is far and above most industry or government standards. Thats why I quit caring about others. My standard is bare naked metal, you cant get no cleaner. The only thing a license will do for me is make me spend more money. And every larger competitor that Ive come across has had lower standards than me.

Jeff LeCours

279 views so far and only ten posters and 14 votes.

While I do believe that most everybody on here would like to justify additional licensure thinking they are helping a poor helpless homeowner, these snippets point in a different direction:

Marc - could be more $$ for the state

$163.00 per year to be liscenced , that isn't much money to show Im serious

We need to educate our customers (possible customers ) that the pressure cleaning industry isn't just a bunch of guys spraying water around.That we are serious about what we do . and we will pay the premium to prove it

Teachers working summer jobs for cash , doing painting and powerwashing , advertising then lowballing , these guys are taking possible income right outa our pockets . Book um Danno

John - $1000 fine with the next time being caught they can be charged criminally. I support that because it eliminates some of my competitors who want to be cheats.

OK I'll step up and say I want our industry to be licensed so to make it tougher for the ones who want to lowball us and do shoddy work to make us all look bad.

Terry - I'd like to see more businesses licensed. maybe get rid of some jokers who pass their selves off as painters and PWers.

I would love to pay an extra $1,000. for licensing. If anything, it may level the playing field.

Going on and on about saving the poor homeowner may make you sleep good at night. But its a false comfort based on a false premise.

I called my underwriter at my insurance company this morning (Farmers) to ask them if they could find out if they could find any claims against pressure washing companies. I'm still waiting for them to call back. I'm sure there are some. But nowhere near enough to warrant changes in licensure.

What I'm really waiting for is for one of the all knowledgeable pressure washers on any of the boards to produce a list of the hundreds or thousands of poor homeowners each year who have nowhere to turn because the guy who put some scratches in their driveway or furred their deck is uninsured.

If this is such a big problem where is the outcry from the public on this?

Doing a search on Google I tried Florida and some of the marjor cities in Florida. I can't find a single news report or article on the huge problem of uninsured pressure washers! Where is the avalanche of evidence to back up the idea that the poor pitiful stupid homeowner needs the protection of government licensure?

It's all made up. It's all hypothetical. Sure there are some homeowners who get screwed. Tough. That's life.

I caught a licensed HVAC company charging my customer $1300 to clean 9 coils and videotaped them drinking beer for 30 minutes on the roof and only opening ONE unit and cleaning NONE.

LICENSED HVAC COMPANY, 2M INSURANCE, 4 LICENSED TECHS, LOTS OF EDUCATION UNDER THEIR BELT.
I made the owner return the check or I would have turned the tape over to the police. (I referred them, that is the ONLY reason this situation was any of my business) If we witness FRAUD, THAT is how we need to look out for the homeowner, NOT waiting around every corner to try to snitch on anyone who does a job that's not quite as good as we would have done. We don't need quality police.

I dont think a lic will help much of anything, it will just be another fee for me to pay

BUT Tony, there is millions of Dollars done every year. I see it often, just because theres no news reports doesnt mean ir isnt happening

I dont think much will stop hacks, except themselves. Hey theres hacks in every trade

Ken Fenner

I've always been on the fence. Unless the licensing was actively enforced with personnel, stings and public awareness campaigns, its basically just another way for the gov't to get a chunk of the pie and give me no return on the investment.

I read through an article yesterday about unlicensed contractors in CA ripping off homeowners. First came the horror stories.. then came the admission by every homeowner that they had not done their homework. Then came the stories of licensed contractors that had also badly hurt customers. In the case of the last, a contractor was legitimate and licensed but a lousy businessman so when he couldn't meet payroll, he abandoned his projects costing his customers millions. What good did the licensing do?

I agree with Tony. There is no substitution for good sense. A license guarantees nothing. Another good point Tony makes is that it is a slippery slope. Where exactly do we draw the line on the gov't helping us make decisions? The FDA is probably a good organization (in concept) because people cannot know if meat in a supermarket is tainted. But you know what? If there wasn't an FDA, the private sector would have developed a test kit where you could test your own meat. The government has proved again and again that it is lousy at running a business. The less they are involved in mine, the better.

So bottom line, I am neither for or against licensing. If it makes people feel warm and fuzzy, cool. I'll pay the fee.

Michael Kreisle

Contributing Member
I've always been on the fence. Unless the licensing was actively enforced with personnel, stings and public awareness campaigns, its basically just another way for the gov't to get a chunk of the pie and give me no return on the investment.

I read through an article yesterday about unlicensed contractors in CA ripping off homeowners. First came the horror stories.. then came the admission by every homeowner that they had not done their homework. Then came the stories of licensed contractors that had also badly hurt customers. In the case of the last, a contractor was legitimate and licensed but a lousy businessman so when he couldn't meet payroll, he abandoned his projects costing his customers millions. What good did the licensing do?

I agree with Tony. There is no substitution for good sense. A license guarantees nothing. Another good point Tony makes is that it is a slippery slope. Where exactly do we draw the line on the gov't helping us make decisions? The FDA is probably a good organization (in concept) because people cannot know if meat in a supermarket is tainted. But you know what? If there wasn't an FDA, the private sector would have developed a test kit where you could test your own meat. The government has proved again and again that it is lousy at running a business. The less they are involved in mine, the better.

So bottom line, I am neither for or against licensing. If it makes people feel warm and fuzzy, cool. I'll pay the fee.

I am not a fan of it but am for Licensing due to the fact that there are already regulations on our business that isn't enforced so my stance is more for enforcing the regulations already in place. Either we push for enforcing what's already there or push for removal of current restrictions. Either way, we need to unite and push for some sort of equal treatment.

A whole lot of what Tony says is very true. I admit that it isn't consumer I am more interested in protecting as much as eliminating bad businesses. I don't agree with Tony on one thing however. Not everyone is cut out to run a Business and they do not deserve the fruits from such. Those folks trying to put food on table should just get a job working for those of us that do have the talents needed to run Businesses. The lack of insurance is the LEAST of the reasons we often are beat on price by these guys. It is the lack of knowing how to run a Business and understanding numbers or common business practices.

So, I am for SOMETHING. Enforcement of what is already in place or Removal of those restrictions. Either way, none of it will change if we don't become united and active to help our industry. All the folks say we shouldn't worry about the other guys with no clue but they are the majority. They take a huge piece of the pie. It does in fact take money from our tables. We abide by the restrictions currently in place to protect our invesments and lose revenue to folks that do not abide and lie/weasel/underbid to gain unfair advantage to get jobs. Customers don't know any better because the other guys are good at selling but also able to sell same service for less(for a while, then go out of business and taking revenue from the companies that are complying)

Take away the restrictions and we will all be level. OR enforce heavily the restrictions to level us all.

While I am at it.... To clarify.... Encouraging Licensing isn't inviting them into our sandbox. (They are already here.. Workers Comp, Unemployment Ins., Matching FICA, Taxes, OSHA, DOT, EPA etc...) I only want to encourage them to enforce what's already in place or remove restrictions all together.

Tony Shelton

There is a huge divide between the mindset in the east and the mindset out here. Out east you guys have just come to believe and accept that it is the place of government to be involved in everything.

Lots of people move out this way because there is a lot less regulation.

People moved here from California and, lo and behold, now we have to have islands all over every parking lot to make it "pretty". Nevermind the fact that this is the freaking desert and it takes a lot of money to keep water running to all those stupid islands! And how are the drunks going to make it to the street without popping a tire on one of those things?:cool:

Because of immigrants coming from other states we now have beautiful rocks lining our interstates similar to the grass you have out east. They only cost hundreds of millions of dollars.

What did these beautiful rocks replace? Rocks. It's the freaking desert!

These people who come here and bring regulations from their home state because they miss the nanny state don't realize that they are simply pawns.

Example
A smart, wealthy, and immoral landscaper puts the word out that our state is ugly because we don't have all the pretty landscaping around our streets and parking lots. (Nothing wrong with that) But the immoral part is when he gets everyone (pawns) up in a tizzy about it with the local news reporting on it etc, he then starts donating money to the city council members (and sometimes straight into their pockets) to get them the make it a REQUIREMENT instead of a suggestion. That's where the line is crossed.

It doesn't matter how anyone tries to justify it, this type of activity is immoral. One may think it's smart business. And maybe it is. As long as the goal of your business is to trample everyone else underfoot and take the spoils.

There's plenty of room in this world for honest business based on work that is superior and a work ethic that is high. There's no reason to drag this industry through the mud of corruption.

That is why I am against involvement in city governments in any way short of defending our work and not defining what our work is an how we do it.

That's all I've been trying to say in this thread. If we want to hold power as a national group we should be defending the industry instead of strangling it.

For example, when a water restriction based on false assumptions about our industry crops up like it has in SC or NC, (I don't remember) our industry should make a b-line for there like white cells to an injury and DEFEND our industry! (BTW I know the UAMCC is doing this - and this should be an integral part of what the UAMCC does if it plans to succeed as an advocate for the industry)

This is not the time nor the political atmosphere to get together with our heads held low in submission to ask "can we PLEASE still work!"

Politics are on our side right now. Global warming has proven to be another fraud perpetrated on us to suck more money out of us as a nation. We are in a hard recession. Governments are broke. Now is the time to entrench ourselves and defend our industry on record so local governments will leave us alone.

We need to present ourselves as knowledgeable and professional and NOT go to city councils complaining about HACKS. It looks like little children telling on each other and just give the entire industry a bad name.

Disclaimer: The above reflects the "out West" way of thinking and in no way represents the opinions of this board, the staff or pressure washers as a whole:clap:

John Tornabene

Member Guest
It always makes me laugh how these conversations turn into "The Gov't this the Gov't that". Go to those other countries that lack Gov't and you will see whole groups of people there getting macheted to death with no repercussions...NONE.

This licensing thing is to 1-protect the homeowner some...but more importantly to protect my business against the hacks. Yup I want to succeed and the ones that want to hack I want to fail. Less competition. Tony is right I want it for my own sake. I don't mind friendly competition and I also don't mind networking and exchanging possible job leads with other UAMCC members and legitimate contractors. Personally I don't pity the guys like Tony is doing that want to hack there way into this industry.

So licensing if it causes me to be even more successful by making it tougher for the hacks..yup I am all for it. I learned the hard and true way and I believe others should also. I don't support ones who say they cant afford insurance so there going to powerwash without it and I also don't support the ones who are in a licensed area and still continue to work illegally. I am a supporter of most rules because without them you have those machetted countries who are and will forever be way behind the great USA. Our Gov't is light years ahead of just about every Gov't on this planet. Of course I don't agree with everything our Gov't does such as OBAMA allowing some of these ridiculous Stimulus packages but all in all this Country has it right. Ah oh..I'm rambling:saai:

Ron Musgraves

Past President
Staff member
I think to protect the public from crooks Background checks should just be a law for any one with a business.

Criminals rehap or not should not be able to just start a business in my backyard and start robbing elderly.

These reports play every year here about how Mrs. Jones got robbed by the airduct cleaning guy who droped a flyer for an unvbelieveable price.

Later they catch the guy, find out he is a felon. (Often a repeat offender)

Background checks would be a great plus accross the board.

Don't you ex-cons take offense, I think if your off Parol and paid dues depending on the crime you should be allowed to operate. Everyone makes mistakes.....Its the guys that are just repeating an repeating. E

RMedbery

I dont understand how a 50 dollar license will keep a hack from being a hack. A lot of people have a drivers license, but the vast majority of them are hack drivers.

Terry Miller

This post is a long way from it's original idea.

Should pressure washing companies be licensed

Most of the info here is about your own complaints. Not whether licensing is needed. Getting back on track, The area of the country or whether we are criminals is not the question. California is over lawed we all know that. The people voted the laws in. Don't complain, do something about it. If someone is a past criminal and is allowed to own a business so be it. You made the law this way. Having a good system for checking backgrounds in any business is pretty much in place in most states. If not, make new laws to do this. The price for a license, I hope it wouldn't be $50.00. Maybe starting at $1,000. or so? The vote is over whelming to have license. Let's write our legislators and make it the law. As I ststed before, give me a 24hr. toll free # to call about the guy's who don't follow the law. Have insurance, pay under the table, rip people off and steal my SS future. My 2 cents.

Ken Fenner

Terry, the new license law put into effect for PA.. drumroll please.. $50 for two years. I currently pay about $700 per year to license in every little township etc. Here is some great news for me:

Does the Home Improvement Consumer Protection Act affect the licensing or registration of home improvement contractors by counties, cities or towns?
Yes. Political subdivisions in Pennsylvania cannot separately license or register home improvement contractors after July 1, 2009, with the limited exception of licensing standards that are in effect on July 1, 2009, with respect to electricians, plumbers and other trades where licensing is conditioned on requirements of testing or possession of certificates obtained through specific training in electricity, plumbing or other trades.

Ron Musgraves

Past President
Staff member
I dont understand how a 50 dollar license will keep a hack from being a hack. A lot of people have a drivers license, but the vast majority of them are hack drivers.

I Agree, it not going to change it much. The criminal thing burns me because we operate in a community called Robson. Its a private retirement community an we service common area.

It a large residential setting, contractors kept robbing old people. Over charging an some flat stealing stuff.

Now we have to have every employee that comes thru the gate background tested by there people. The cost is not 50 bucks, try 150..

Of course we pass that on to them, this started making me think. Did it improve the service? Are the actual home owners safer? will I sleep better knowing my own help are not guys that have been convicted of crimes?

They started this three years ago, because they are a city within themselves they keep track of stats. They practically eliminated the problems.

This was done because they are simply private enterprize, we know in the real world this stuff doesnt work. Why because those crooks just moved to easy pray. You cant protect everyone.