View Poll Results: Should pressure washing companies be licensed??

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

21 65.63%
  • No

11 34.38%
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Should pressure washing companies be licensed

Default Re: Should pressure washing companies be licensed

Quote Originally Posted by tonyshelton View Post
    If every state did that they'd all be as broke as California is.

owner will be fined $3,000 each day the work that was done plus disposal fee's. The pressure washer will be fined up to 10k and be banned for 1 year, but good luck in getting another permit.

Just to show you how dumb it is, why is the "hack" who is not on the list able to get a permit in the first place? And how can he be banned from something he's already banned from by law?

Yet another perfect example of why the government shouldn't be involved.

Keep posting from more restrictive states. This just gets better and better.
    every state already has something in place just not with the fines.... It's called the BBB

Henry,

Where can I find direct information regarding what the actual license requirement and what the license description entails?

I was on the state of MD website and did read up on the MHIC but didn't see anything about the description of the license itself.

Appreciate it!
    [B]Carlos Gonzales[/B]
    [B]New Look Power Wash
    [URL="http://www.newlookpowerwash.com"]Pressure Wash in California[/URL][/B]
    [URL="http://www.newlookpowerwash.com/category/uncategorized"][B]California Pressure Washing Blog[/B][/URL]
    [B][URL="http://www.newlookpowerwash.com/california-pressure-wash-blog/pressure-wash-services-in-san-francisco.html"]Pressure Wash Services in San Francisco[/URL][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    Henry,

Where can I find direct information regarding what the actual license requirement and what the license description entails?

I was on the state of MD website and did read up on the MHIC but didn't see anything about the description of the license itself.

Appreciate it!
    Hey Carlos, and that's part of the problem. There isn't much information to be found on the MHIC license and what information you get from them on the phone changes day to day. The terms are very broad and that leaves a lot of room for bad information making it even more difficult for contractors and consumers. All the stipulations I've ever been able to get have already been posted.

You need a license to stain decks, but not to wash them.

If you use high pressure to clean and no chemicals (soap) you don't need a license.

This is what I'm trying to change, anyone using a pressure washer to maintain the exterior of a home should be licensed, and properly insured. I say maintain instead of clean because were not janitors or maids, the machines PW companies use are high powered, and can cause a lot of damage with improper use. Someone needs to educate consumers and with the current laws in this area it makes it almost impossible to do so. It also makes it nearly impossible to recognize that pressure washing is more than just spraying water, it's an important industry that should be recognized.
    Henry Bockman 301-216-9675
    Henry's Housework Inc & Commercial Restorations
    13433 Tilford Court Germantown, MD 20874

Thanks Henry...My monday is booked but I would like to suggest we speak on Tues....let me know

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Bockman View Post
    Hey Carlos, and that's part of the problem. There isn't much information to be found on the MHIC license and what information you get from them on the phone changes day to day. The terms are very broad and that leaves a lot of room for bad information making it even more difficult for contractors and consumers. All the stipulations I've ever been able to get have already been posted.

You need a license to stain decks, but not to wash them.

If you use high pressure to clean and no chemicals (soap) you don't need a license.

This is what I'm trying to change, anyone using a pressure washer to maintain the exterior of a home should be licensed, and properly insured. I say maintain instead of clean because were not janitors or maids, the machines PW companies use are high powered, and can cause a lot of damage with improper use. Someone needs to educate consumers and with the current laws in this area it makes it almost impossible to do so. It also makes it nearly impossible to recognize that pressure washing is more than just spraying water, it's an important industry that should be recognized.
    [B]Carlos Gonzales[/B]
    [B]New Look Power Wash
    [URL="http://www.newlookpowerwash.com"]Pressure Wash in California[/URL][/B]
    [URL="http://www.newlookpowerwash.com/category/uncategorized"][B]California Pressure Washing Blog[/B][/URL]
    [B][URL="http://www.newlookpowerwash.com/california-pressure-wash-blog/pressure-wash-services-in-san-francisco.html"]Pressure Wash Services in San Francisco[/URL][/B]

Hey Carlos, you don't need an appointment to call me. Just call me..lol
    Henry Bockman 301-216-9675
    Henry's Housework Inc & Commercial Restorations
    13433 Tilford Court Germantown, MD 20874

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Bockman View Post
    I think you guys are missing some information.

The Maryland Home Improvement Commission (MHIC) is already involved in Maryland. You must have a MHIC license to stain decks. Clear sealers are okay, you don't need a license to use thompsons for example.

But, you don't need one to clean decks, and that's where most of the damages happen. Now they are saying if you use chemicals when power washing, you need a license. BUT, if your using soap, you don't. This is the problem, the rules to stipulate whether you need a license or not don't make any sense. Soap is a chemical!

Decks are damaged when washing, not staining. I'm trying to get the MHIC to create different guidelines that will require everyone that does residential pressure washing to be licensed.

As it stands now, the hacks don't need a license because they all use high pressure to clean and to remove deck stains, they use turbos to strip decks so they don't have to use "chemicals" that require a license. Now tell me, if you had these stipulations that decide who needs a license, what would you do? They won't drop the laws so they only thing we can do is get them to make sense.
    Not so sure about that clear sealer statement....Where is that listed on MD's site?
    Beth
    See Dirt Run!TM Inc.
    Log Home Maintenance & Restoration, Decks & House Washing
    Beth Borrego & Rod Rodriguez
    Office: 301-540-1243
    Germantown, MD * MHIC# 86481 * VHIC# 2705-126609 * BBB
    The Grime Scene BBS Forums

Quote Originally Posted by RMedbery View Post
    This is fruitless. The people who want government involvement in every aspect of life will never be convinced less government is better. Im done.
    Less is BETTER? Not always. I agree with Henry. Read these links...please.
    http://www.dllr.state.md.us/whatsnews/mhicunlic.shtml
    http://www.wbaltv.com/news/17773716/detail.html
    http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/ap....asp?PrID=4307

Consumers have a right to be protected, and as business professionals we have a duty to hold ourselves to a higher standard and to protect their property while we are working there. As a homeowner, I expect to be protected too, and I only hire licensed contractors to work on our home because if something goes wrong, I want to know I'm covered.

Beth
    See Dirt Run!TM Inc.
    Log Home Maintenance & Restoration, Decks & House Washing
    Beth Borrego & Rod Rodriguez
    Office: 301-540-1243
    Germantown, MD * MHIC# 86481 * VHIC# 2705-126609 * BBB
    The Grime Scene BBS Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Beth n Rod View Post
    Less is BETTER? Not always. I agree with Henry. Read these links...please.
    http://www.dllr.state.md.us/whatsnews/mhicunlic.shtml
    http://www.wbaltv.com/news/17773716/detail.html
    http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/ap....asp?PrID=4307

Consumers have a right to be protected, and as business professionals we have a duty to hold ourselves to a higher standard and to protect their property while we are working there. As a homeowner, I expect to be protected too, and I only hire licensed contractors to work on our home because if something goes wrong, I want to know I'm covered.

Beth
    Again beth your liberal views are completely wrong. Consumers have no RIGHT of protection. Unless your talking of foreign invasion of course. I know you despise the document but you really should try and actually read the US Constitution some time. Like I said, you will NEVER convince a person who wants more government that less government is better.

Perfect example in one of your links.

Homeowners who use Maryland Home Improvement Commission (MHIC) licensed contractors are protected by the Home Improvement Law, and are eligible for coverage by the Home Improvement Guaranty Fund
    Here is the government using MY money to reimburse people for their bad decisions.

I lost several hundred dollars in Vegas a few months ago. Hey beth, how bout you reimburse me for my stupid gambling decision? If you dont I will go as far as to use deadly force to make you do so. Sounds Fd up dont it? Matter of fact its highly illegal, but why is it ok for the government to do it?

I can understand both viewpoints. I don't buy into the idealistic vision that the government can protect consumers from thievery or unscrupulous activity. At best it can do what the UAMCC does.. ask to see proof of insurance. Any fool can buy an insurance policy. It doesn't make the holder honest, it doesn't prove integrity and it certainly doesn't prove work quality. So, ultimately, the obligation of due diligence comes back to the person hiring the contractor. Check experience, references, current insurances. If a person chooses not to do that, that's on them. I'm still failing to see where the government and a piece of paper called a license provides any type of security blanket. The real result is often what happens when people let others (ie the government) do for them what they should be doing themselves... complacency, dependance and ultimately, laziness.

The system of capitalism weeds out bad products, bad service and bad management. I'm not sure what makes me sit on the fence with this issue. I guess a license makes people warm and fuzzy and that is a marketing edge. I am for licensing if it includes spot checks for valid insurances, OSHA log auditing, field agents checking for violations, random truck inspections for safety equipment and MSDS sheets, consistent public awareness campaigns, and enough field agents to enforce the standards. Anything less is just a gesture. This gesture does little for the public and is another excuse for the government to collect some money from my company.

Here's the problem.. the public. All of the above makes a company more expensive to operate. Me, Beth, Henry, Roger, Jim.. we have to pass that cost on. Here comes cheapskate homeowner that gets a bid for far less from a contractor that has no one to answer to. A friend of mine just had his basement completely rewired by an unlicensed handyman. This is a guy with a wife and two children in his home. His justification to me was that he inspected all the handyman's work before the walls were buttoned up. So there you go.. an educated, well off guy that circumvented the sytem to save a few thousand bucks. Idiocy.
    Ken Fenner
    PressurePros, Inc
    House Washing
    Pressure Washing Companies

• Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread Information