• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Stripping Sikkens from Cedar House

Rick Honahan

UAMCC Contractor Member
I Have been asked to strip Sikkens stain from a cedar sided Home. The Sidding is rough side out and the stain has been on 5 years. The owner of this is insisting to have it removed and restained. His only reasoning for removing is so it doesn't get any darker. ?? He want's the natural look and iw willing to pay for it. Any Ideas on what to use to strip on Sikkens. I have stripped Sikkens from PT decks but never cedar siding. Also looking for pricing info for a job like this. HELP!!

Ken Fenner

My advice would be to bring in another company experienced in this type of work. Decks and houses are different beasts. I'm not implying you aren't capable but good money can turn into a loss very quickly on larger projects like this. Sikkens can be a bear to remove. on cedar its even worse.

Rick Honahan

UAMCC Contractor Member
I would consider giving it up or working with someone but where I live in Rural Upstate NY I don't believe there is anybody within 3 1/2 hours of us that even does wood restorations. I have cleaned a lot of wood homes and camps but never stripped sickkens from a cedar sided, rough side out house. Anybody else have any ideas. :got-hooligan:

Beth Borrego

I would consider giving it up or working with someone but where I live in Rural Upstate NY I don't believe there is anybody within 3 1/2 hours of us that even does wood restorations. I have cleaned a lot of wood homes and camps but never stripped sickkens from a cedar sided, rough side out house. Anybody else have any ideas. :got-hooligan:

Actually - there are lots of companies up there that do that kind of work.
You will need a really strong stripper, lots of patience and dwell time.

Beth

Rick Honahan

UAMCC Contractor Member
Ok! I am inviting anyone in my area to join with me and help with this house. I am located on the Canadian Border 1-Hour north of Lake Placid NY. There is a contractor in this area that does cedar restoration. He just did another home on the Lake. He removed Each and Every Board and ran it through a plainer to remove the finish.??? I can't imagine what that cost the Homeowner. So once again I would invite anyone to share either ideas and or the job for the training.

Jbruno

So Where are you? Canton? Messina? Plattsburgh? I'll be the first to say this... Please fill out your signature so we know your real name... but broken biker is cool.

If the money is legit, I can come up and do it with you... just have to wait for the kids to get out of school. Other than that, there's no reason not to do thid job, if you have the right chems, and equipment. It's the only way you're gonna learn!!!

Rick Honahan

UAMCC Contractor Member
Close, Malone NY. I own Pro-Jet Pressure Washing. I assume your talking about when school is out for summer. Up here they are out in the Middle Of June. I would entertain having you or someone with expert experience join me with this this project, so give me a shout when you get a chance. 518-779-WASH

Jbruno

Forgot about Malone... spent time in Paul Smiths. One of many stops on the highway to hell I like to call my College experience. Yeah, I have a son in first grade, so if you really need it, I would come up... just need a hotel and some notice... (mid June he's out)

Did you go to the Albany seminar that Matt Johnson threw??

But I'll give you a shout!

Beth Borrego

Ok! I am inviting anyone in my area to join with me and help with this house. I am located on the Canadian Border 1-Hour north of Lake Placid NY. There is a contractor in this area that does cedar restoration. He just did another home on the Lake. He removed Each and Every Board and ran it through a plainer to remove the finish.??? I can't imagine what that cost the Homeowner. So once again I would invite anyone to share either ideas and or the job for the training.

Nothing wrong with it, if his end result was a success. Pretty clever actually...hmmmm.....

Beth

Rick Honahan

UAMCC Contractor Member
Yes, I was in Albany. I thought it was awesome and glad to have met some great people.

Attachments

• Truck & Trailer.jpg
    Truck & Trailer.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 29

Randall Brooks

I think I remember that rig...were you the guy who parked straight across several handi cap parking spots right in front of the hotel the whole weekend? Nice,,,,,:redcard:

Rick Honahan

UAMCC Contractor Member
Yeh, That was me. I am probably the only amputee Pressure Washing Contractor. I guess being an aputee has some privelages. ie:parking

Rick Honahan

UAMCC Contractor Member
I am glad to have had parking close to the Seminar in Albany since I was in serious pain as usual, and utilized my Handicapped pass to be able to park in the Handicapped area. I hope I didn't offend you by parking there. I think I took up 3 spaces out of 10 that were empty. You are correct though, I shouldn't take advantage of being an amputee and should just use the one parking space as allowed per pass. Sorry!

Jbruno

Kudos Brother on not letting anything get in the way of doing a great job. Sorry I haven't reached out to you, I'm kind of slammed right now. but the rin just showed so maybe soemtime this week I can ring you up on the telephone thing!!

Rick Honahan

UAMCC Contractor Member
Same here. Been booked solid. I haven't heard back from the painter on the home yet anyway. I noticed on another post you don't do roofs yet. I love them, simple to do and great money. Do it its great. Oh yeh, as an amputee you won't ever find me up on one though.lol