• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

HELP with Beckett timing

I have a Beckett Burner (model ADC) 12 volt, and I can't seem to get the air/fuel timing set right. It is bellowing BLACK SMOKE (diesel fuel) and I can't get the timing and mixture set to clear the cloud. Yep, hot battery. Oh yeah......I have other question but, I gotta get this set first.
:confused::confused:

Carlos Gonzales

I have a Beckett Burner (model ADC) 12 volt, and I can't seem to get the air/fuel timing set right. It is bellowing BLACK SMOKE (diesel fuel) and I can't get the timing and mixture set to clear the cloud. Yep, hot battery. Oh yeah......I have other question but, I gotta get this set first.

Hey Hydro..if you could please fill out your signature line. You can do that by clicking the User CP (left hand corner of the screen).

Appreciate it!!

Russ Spence

just for kicks, is it a hot box or a skid?

Paul Kassander

UAMCC Associate Member
First change your fuel filter if you haven't in a while and make sure your tank is clean of gunk so you don't clog up a new one right away. Check your fuel pressure it should be between 110-130 psi. If it is set correct you will need to adjust the air bands around the pump area. loosen them up and open or close until it burns clean.

If the coil has completely sooted up you will never be able to adjust it properly and you will need to pull and clean the coil first to get good airflow out. If it is just a little clogged you should be ok and eventually it will burn off once you adjust the airflow properly.

Carlos Gonzales

First change your fuel filter if you haven't in a while and make sure your tank is clean of gunk so you don't clog up a new one right away. Check your fuel pressure it should be between 110-130 psi. If it is set correct you will need to adjust the air bands around the pump area. loosen them up and open or close until it burns clean.

If the coil has completely sooted up you will never be able to adjust it properly and you will need to pull and clean the coil first to get good airflow out. If it is just a little clogged you should be ok and eventually it will burn off once you adjust the airflow properly.

Thanks for helping out Paul...appreciate it!!

Okay...............I guess I'll be cleaning the coil because I'm sure it's dirty. Do you have any suggestions on what I should use to clean it? Common sense tells me degreaser (you know, non-flamables). I tried adjusting the air vents and it had little effect on the out put of black smoke. I'm changing the filter and lines (lines are hard and discolored). I appericate the insight and help.

Paul Kassander

UAMCC Associate Member
To clean it properly you really have to pull it form the unit and spray it down with degreaser and wash it down. Get it real good from multiple directions both from the outside and inside. Be sure you have some replacement insulation on hand as you will more than likely have to replace the old stuff.

Once it is clean re-wrap the coil with the insulation and reinstall. While you have the coil out check the adjustment of the electrodes and the depth on the housing with the depth gauge. If it was put too far forward or back from the fins that create the vortex that can effect the way it burns.

Paul Kassander

UAMCC Associate Member
To clean it properly you really have to pull it form the unit and spray it down with degreaser and wash it down. Get it real good from multiple directions both from the outside and inside. Be sure you have some replacement insulation on hand as you will more than likely have to replace the old stuff.

Once it is clean re-wrap the coil with the insulation and reinstall. While you have the coil out check the adjustment of the electrodes and the depth on the housing with the depth gauge. If it was put too far forward or back from the fins that create the vortex that can effect the way it burns.

Paul,

I took the Beckett off and cleaned it. I also took the Hotbox apart and cleaned it as well as I could. My question is.......Does the coil have to be "CLEAN" or just knock the build up out of it? Man that coil is HEAVY!!!!!!! If it does have to be "CLEAN" then I'll probably have to use Easy-Off oven cleaner on it.

Gene Fivel

Paul,

I took the Beckett off and cleaned it. I also took the Hotbox apart and cleaned it as well as I could. My question is.......Does the coil have to be "CLEAN" or just knock the build up out of it? Man that coil is HEAVY!!!!!!! If it does have to be "CLEAN" then I'll probably have to use Easy-Off oven cleaner on it.

A good degreaser will work and let it sit a couple of hours