• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

City taking work from local contractors

Randall Brooks

We got flooded this week very badly. Had like 6 feet of water over the local collage campus even. About 3 feet inside. Loaded up and drove over there this morning to try to troll up some work and what did I find....Hmmm... two fire trucks and about 10 more city street workers with all of their equipment washing down the tennis courts and common areas. Yea the city is using tax payer people and equipment to take my business. I can see maybe the roadways and common entrances to facilitate getting things open to get things going but I sat there and watched them for two hours doing the tennis courts. I called the facility maintenance super to see how I could get in on some work and never got a call back.

Am I wrong to think or believe they should be using local Mobile cleaner contractors to do the clean up work. Or at least involve us. The collage isn't city property whatsoever....I have a nice add in the book right up top and never got a call....They aren't but about 3 of us in the book so we all should have been offered a bid you think?...I'm sure insurance will be involved so what gives? I'm beside myself over this...I did notify local media and they acted like it wasn't a story. Could not comprehend that city workers shouldn't be competing with contractors for work much less taking it without notice :pukey:

This is the road going to the collage about a half a mile away. The shallow end I might add.

Attachments

• Flooding.jpg
    Flooding.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 39

Randall Brooks

Gee 40 lurkers and no comments,,lol,,,I must be off mark I guess but it burned me up to see city workers cleaning tennis courts and areas that I think should go to contractors...lol:got-hooligan:

Jbruno

It is total bull****, but how much revenue has the College created for your town/city. I'm guessing the college may have a little weight to throw around. Go to the next meeting and air your concerns as a taxpaying citizen... Could be an ethics violation, or other violations...

Carlos Gonzales

Gee 40 lurkers and no comments,,lol,,,I must be off mark I guess but it burned me up to see city workers cleaning tennis courts and areas that I think should go to contractors...lol:got-hooligan:

Was the area being cleaned city property? If not then heck ya I would be made.

There was an assistant fire chief in a near by city fired recently for sending a truck to his aunt and uncles house to have them help pump water out of a basement.The reason for his firing was misuse of city property and equipment.
His supports say he would have had a crew do the same for anyone.The unfortunate part is while the fire crew pumped water and moved his family members personal belongings to higher ground all the neighboring houses were flooding.
IMO,firing may have been a little heavy handed it does sent a message.I feel breaking a 27yr fire dept. vet down in rank would have been sufficient.However,if we as tax payers allow city employees to use the man power and equipment in this manner what will it be used for next.
I would definitely be at the next city counsel meeting to voice my concerns.

Scott Millen

I missed this thread, so I'm not too proud to dig it up...

I can understand how irritating it is for you because I have a similar complaint in Omaha.

Our city recently banned the sale of permanent markers and spraypaint to minors because of the tagging problem. The funny thing is that they also tried to push through a new ordinance stating the tagged property had to cleaned by the owner within a certain number of days, or the city would do it and bill them.

They wanted to do that because the crew that was tasked by the city (funded by DARE, Maddads, and a coalition of other well-meaning citizen groups) was falling behind so badly in the cold winter months this year. The wise city council figured it would alleviate the backlog of jobs, and gather revenue as well.:rolleyes:

That is a total :redcard: to the PW contractors here. I have never landed a paying grafiti removal in Omaha because of this crew, and its free status. People are content to let him come and overpaint the tags, and of course they are just retagged in a matter of days, etc, ad infinitum.

Funny thing is that the city bought a step-van, a pretty nice Hotsy rig, and rafts of chems, and then hired some old codger who just paints over the tags everywhere he goes. Now we are going to add another identical "crew", funded by fees, to further push away prospective customers.

It burns the posterior for sure.:Smiley-2027: