Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Usdot numbers - do you need one?

Default Re: Usdot numbers - do you need one?

After reading all this I was curious as to why we hadn't heard of any of our commercial customers getting DOT numbers for their new vehicles. (My wife has owned a DMV service for 10 years and in that time has registered more than 30,000 vehicles here in Nevada, about 25% of them are commercial)

I asked my wife quickly about DOT numbers and she simply said, "you don't need them here".

So, just out of curiosity we put a call into the Nevada Motor Carriers and into three of our commercial truck sales departments we work with.

Here's what we got almost Verbatim:

You are only required to get a DOT number if you are transporting passengers or Cargo in the state of NV.

At the Ford Dealership we were told that any truck under an F650 regardless of what it is towing (unless cargo for hire) is UNDER the 10k mark and is exempt.

In the state of Nevada you don't even need a CDL OR commercial license plates unless you actually WEIGH over 26,000 total on the road.

A call to the Nevada Highway patrol resulted in:
    "Is it a pickup" YES,
    "Is your total weight less than 26k?" YES.
    "Then don't worry about it, you're not going to have any trouble unless we pull you over and you weigh over 26k total."

They wouldn't answer my question as to if that applied to California as well.

Ahhhh, the freedom of a loosely regulated state.
    Sonitx
    702-358-7477

Free FREE Events www.uamccevents.com

I think I can get by with something smaller then 10K for a few more years...
    JC Power Wash & Soft Wash LLC
    Jim Chesmore
    609-412-3033
    www.JCSoftWash.com

Quote Originally Posted by tonyshelton View Post
    Ahhhh, the freedom of a loosely regulated state.
    Don't you love it Tony!!
    [B]Carlos Gonzales[/B]
    [B]New Look Power Wash
    [URL="http://www.newlookpowerwash.com"]Pressure Wash in California[/URL][/B]
    [URL="http://www.newlookpowerwash.com/category/uncategorized"][B]California Pressure Washing Blog[/B][/URL]
    [B][URL="http://www.newlookpowerwash.com/california-pressure-wash-blog/pressure-wash-services-in-san-francisco.html"]Pressure Wash Services in San Francisco[/URL][/B]

I am doing a little more research to see what I find in between states...but here is what I got. I bought an F550 with weight around 7k. Guys please pay attention to this part. I have a 500 gallon water tank on the flatbed part of this. The state police and anyone else DO NOT CARE what your empty weight is...if they read 500 on the side of your tank thats another 4k...Anything over 10k you NEED a DOT number. The next step will be anything over the 26K mark which would require a CDL. Also if you have a combined weight (truck and Trailer---with water tanks) that is over 10k you will be required. When I applied for my DOT number the big question was if I went into another state...Doesnt matter which one. That made the change from Inter to Intrastate if I remember correctly.
    Its not a big deal to get the numbers and be safe about it. Also if you carry more than 55 gallons of any chemicals you are required to get a hazmat license and stickers are required.
    Please be careful as from what I was told they can do pretty much anything they want from a warning to a fine to pulling your truck off the road until all is taken care of. Its easier to comply.

I went to the NJDOT and got confused?? I called them and left a message yesterday but still no reply.

So under 10K I can run business as usual?

Over 10K I need a DOT#, but what does that mean?

You mentioned over 55gal chem you will need stickers, I remember reading that it was 1000#'s of material in bulk containers. Non-bulk containers had a higher limit on the weight.
    JC Power Wash & Soft Wash LLC
    Jim Chesmore
    609-412-3033
    www.JCSoftWash.com

How about a DOT Rep at the convention in Orlando?
    [B]Carlos Gonzales[/B]
    [B]New Look Power Wash
    [URL="http://www.newlookpowerwash.com"]Pressure Wash in California[/URL][/B]
    [URL="http://www.newlookpowerwash.com/category/uncategorized"][B]California Pressure Washing Blog[/B][/URL]
    [B][URL="http://www.newlookpowerwash.com/california-pressure-wash-blog/pressure-wash-services-in-san-francisco.html"]Pressure Wash Services in San Francisco[/URL][/B]

Los,
    I will look that up today...

Jim,
    What I was told was that 55 gallons of any chems would need a hazmat license and depending on materials stickers would be required. The form to fill out is not very easy to figure out so I talked to a rep and had them walk me thru it online. If your trailer (with full tank) and truck weight less than 10k you are ok. Anything more than the 10k you will need to apply (you can do this online) and they will send you an email with your #'s. Get the book so you can comply with all other regulations...you will also need to get a medical exam card. From what they told me (the person that called me back was actually from Virginia) these regulations and #'s are required for ALL highways and in ALL states.
    I am not 100% if thats true after reading what everyone else has been told so I am looking at it online now. And again this is what I was told...I will try to update this when I get more info....

You only need hazmat cert or placards if you are hauling a hazmat qualified chemical in certain quantities. There are specific guidelines out there based on reportable quantities and labeling requirements based on wt and volume of the particular product. Some you only need a few gallons some are a few hundred pounds before the rules take effect.
    Paul Kassander
    The Power Wash Store
    Mobi Clean Inc.
    855-351-9274
    www.powerwashstore.com
    www.mobicleaninc.com

Pressure Washer Parts, Cleaning Detergents, Pressure Washers, and Pressure Washer Technical Support

Commercial pressure washer Wisconsin, Fleet washer Wisconsin, Concrete cleaning Wisconsin, [URL="http://www.mobicleaninc.com/page/1nosi/Residential.html"]Residential property cleaning Wisconsin

http://uamcc.org/images/logos/Associ...0Signature.png

It is very confusing. The feds have one set of rules that can be superseded by state, that can have additional city and county rules. I can call three different police departments and get three different answers.

The only thing I get a consistent answer on is if your vehicle can legally carry over 10,000 lbs, truck, trailer and potential load combined it needs a DOT number. No matter what you a haul if it can haul over 10K total. There are some exceptions such as motor homes and farm vehicles. But that may be a state exemption since we are a farming state.

The enforcement division here that's supposed to have the answers is a civilian employee department of the Indiana State Police called Motor Carrier Enforcement. I've called them and left messages and never had a call returned. They create more revenue giving you a ticket than answering questions so can comply.

Quote Originally Posted by Aspen Contractors View Post
    I am doing a little more research to see what I find in between states...but here is what I got. I bought an F550 with weight around 7k. Guys please pay attention to this part. I have a 500 gallon water tank on the flatbed part of this. The state police and anyone else DO NOT CARE what your empty weight is...if they read 500 on the side of your tank thats another 4k...Anything over 10k you NEED a DOT number. The next step will be anything over the 26K mark which would require a CDL. Also if you have a combined weight (truck and Trailer---with water tanks) that is over 10k you will be required. When I applied for my DOT number the big question was if I went into another state...Doesnt matter which one. That made the change from Inter to Intrastate if I remember correctly.
    Its not a big deal to get the numbers and be safe about it. Also if you carry more than 55 gallons of any chemicals you are required to get a hazmat license and stickers are required.
    Please be careful as from what I was told they can do pretty much anything they want from a warning to a fine to pulling your truck off the road until all is taken care of. Its easier to comply.
    Have you weighed the F550? I've got a regular bed (not a flatbed) but my F450 weighs in at over 9000 lbs empty and closer to 14k w/ 325 gallon tank and PW.
    Sonitx
    702-358-7477

Free FREE Events www.uamccevents.com

• Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information