Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 56

Thread: Usdot numbers - do you need one?

  1. #21

    Default Re: Usdot numbers - do you need one?

    Tony,
    The weight I believe was 6800 empty. No tank no machine. If I add 500 gallons of water plus the machine, hoses, etc I calculated it over the 11k mark.

    Its not a bad thing guys...we are commercial (not personal) vehicles therefore thats what I based my decision on.

    If you are having problems getting phone calls back or getting answers stop by a weight station and ask them. I wouldnt suggest taking your truck and trailer as you may get the guy who wants to write a ticket.

    I dont know how many of you do work outside your state but thats another issue. What if you get caught without it in another state? Again as anything in the US fines, jail time, confiscation all depends on the police. If you are not doing anything illegal and your truck can pass an inspection its just an easy task to go get a physical and get a DOT number IMO...

  • #22

    Default Re: Usdot numbers - do you need one?

    This isn't complicated AND it isn't regulated by the individual states, local DMV's, your Uncle Joe or Aunt Bessie, whether you live in NY , Nevada, Maryland or otherwise.

    It is a Federal Regulation that simply states.... If your vehicle gross registration weight exceeds 10000 pounds (or the combined weight of the vehicle and the trailer you are pulling) and your are engaged in a commercial enterprise, you are required to be registered.

    It does not go off of your actual weight.

    As far as complaince, I will make it work in my favor over my competition for me in marketing and sales. When a customer ask or questions price, it is one more safety item to point out why we are a more professional and a better choice for them to use our company over someone else. (no disrespect intended for the other BBS members here). I use every angle possible to entice the customer to use us over someone else.

    There is Federal money that is being allocated to the states for enforcement. The FMCS act of 1986 was written with one goal in mind; to reduce commercial vehicle accidents on the highways. Of of the benchmark statistics (or mandate so to speak)that I read when I researched this on their website and the internet, was that the Federal Motor Carriers Safety Administration reduce commercial vehicle accidents by 20 percent by the year 2010. I think this is probably why you are seeing a push in enforcement as 2010 is right around the corner.

    Another reason you are seeing enforcements is that the violation fines for some of the violations are very expensive and it is a huge revenue generator for the state and federal government.

    It is not a hassle to comply with this; and you can make it work to your advantage with credibility over your competition with your customers.
    M. Johnson
    Pressure Washing Services, Inc.
    Send Email
    Property Cleaning Mobile Hotline 607-435-5539

  • #23

    Default Re: Usdot numbers - do you need one?

    Quote Originally Posted by tonyshelton View Post
    Have you weighed the F550? I've got a regular bed (not a flatbed) but my F450 weighs in at over 9000 lbs empty and closer to 14k w/ 325 gallon tank and PW.

    They dont look at your registration.... The look at the panel inside the door to see what the vehicle GVRW is. When the trooper pulled me over, he looked at the panel on my trailer as he walked up to my vehicle and then asked me to open the driver door so he could check something. Then he told me about the federal requirements and explained why I was required to have the DOT#, then asked me for the vehicle and trailer registration's.

    The question I have is this.... Is it worth it to run without them?
    M. Johnson
    Pressure Washing Services, Inc.
    Send Email
    Property Cleaning Mobile Hotline 607-435-5539

  • #24

    Default Re: Usdot numbers - do you need one?

    So if I am reading this correctly, if I am over 10K GVW I need a DOT number?

    I need to stop at all the check points to be checked by the inspector?

    I need a medical card?

    I need a log book tracking my driving hours?

    If my rig is under 10K GVW and is lettered up with my business info, I do not need to do any of the above??
    JC Power Wash & Soft Wash LLC
    Jim Chesmore
    609-412-3033
    www.JCSoftWash.com

  • #25

    Default Re: Usdot numbers - do you need one?

    Quote Originally Posted by jcinnj View Post
    so if i am reading this correctly, if i am over 10k gvw i need a dot number?

    yes, i answered the rest of the questions based on my understanding from what i learned from speaking with the fmcsa investigator, the state trooper and reading info on the fmcsa website.

    i need to stop at all the check points to be checked by the inspector?

    they have the right to inspect you.... They do not inspect everyone... If you are a local company and they know you play by the rules.... You will be waived through more times than not

    i need a medical card?

    no medical card unless needed unless you are interstate carrier and over i think 26k

    i need a log book tracking my driving hours?

    no log book required

    if my rig is under 10k gvw and is lettered up with my business info, i do not need to do any of the above??
    true... If you are pulling a trailer, then it is the combined weight
    M. Johnson
    Pressure Washing Services, Inc.
    Send Email
    Property Cleaning Mobile Hotline 607-435-5539

  • #26

    Default Re: Usdot numbers - do you need one?

    My P32 Step Van has regular plates, I purchased it new in 1994. I have never been asked/told about teh 10,000 GVW rules. Once, I was told to chain up in the snow, as the van has dual wheels.

    I would think the DOT or a cop would have mentioned those requirements at least once in the last 14 years.
    Douglas Hicks
    General Fire Equipment Co of Eastern Oregon, Inc
    Member NFPA, NFSA, NAFED
    Founding member, past pres, past secretary Oregon Fire Equipment Distributors
    Board of Directors, The Grease Police

  • #27

    Default Re: Usdot numbers - do you need one?

    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Hicks View Post
    My P32 Step Van has regular plates, I purchased it new in 1994. I have never been asked/told about teh 10,000 GVW rules. Once, I was told to chain up in the snow, as the van has dual wheels.

    I would think the DOT or a cop would have mentioned those requirements at least once in the last 14 years.
    My last bucket truck was 22,000 lbs dead empty. No one ever asked for any DOT compliance. The guy who bought it now uses it for tree trimming in California. Said he's never heard of such a thing. I checked with the largest tree trimming company here with 45 bucket trucks just under 26k. They have no DOT numbers, the owner has never heard of such a thing. His response was "How stupid is that, I'm not transporting cargo for hire".

    Maybe a tree trimming company with 45 trucks that cost over $150k each just isn't willing to play by the rules. Hackers!

    As for other posters in this thread please see number 2 here before you go telling everyone they have follow the rules of your own Gestapo states:

    http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/about/other/faq/faqs.asp#name2
    Sonitx
    702-358-7477





    Free FREE Events www.uamccevents.com

  • #28

    Default Re: Usdot numbers - do you need one?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathew Johnson View Post
    They dont look at your registration.... The look at the panel inside the door to see what the vehicle GVRW is. When the trooper pulled me over, he looked at the panel on my trailer as he walked up to my vehicle and then asked me to open the driver door so he could check something. Then he told me about the federal requirements and explained why I was required to have the DOT#, then asked me for the vehicle and trailer registration's.

    The question I have is this.... Is it worth it to run without them?
    Yes. It's not required here. So you answer is yes, it is not worth it.

    Your information is incorrect about DOT numbers being a federal requirement for Intrastate work. And by the way, the NEVADA Highway Patrol doesn't care what your sticker says. They have a portable scale system you have to drive on and that tells them the weight. My wife has been helping companies with weight issues on their fleets when it comes to Nevada law for ten years. But I guess her customers, the more than 100 commercial companies with fleets here, are putting their trust in the wrong place. Maybe I can have her forward next weeks calls to you and she can take a much needed vacation.

    I'm sure what you have stated is eventually on the way especially with Obama in the White House, but frankly you don't know what you are talking about outside your own state and are spreading misinformation at this point.

    http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/about/other/faq/faqs.asp#name2
    Sonitx
    702-358-7477





    Free FREE Events www.uamccevents.com

  • #29

    Default Re: Usdot numbers - do you need one?

    It's not on the way here in Indiana. It has been enforced heavily for the past 2-3 years. If the GVW total rating of a truck and trailer is 10K or greater it requires a DOT number period. 75% of the 3/4 ton pickup truck lawn guys with a tandem trailer have DOT numbers now. The other 1/4 will get tickets eventually. As I said I'm not clear if it's the feds or the state but it's the law and it's enforced. At least that's the way it's being enforced. And it's about money.

    The only thing I find hard to believe is the "Left Coast" hasn't used this as a revenue source. We in the midwest are usually way behind. I've never heard about the medical card, log book etc stuff, those are all CDL over 26K requirements I think. At least that's what was on my CDL test.

    Some of you guys really get testy over different opinions. Matt I've searched like Tony and can't find even the Indiana regs that refer to this. But I personally know guys that have been pinched for it here. Beats me.

    Just because it's not enforced doesn't mean it's not law.

    Overall it's actually a very good thread. A question without an easy answer. Isn't that what these boards are about?

  • #30

    Default Re: Usdot numbers - do you need one?

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy Power Wash View Post
    It's not on the way here in Indiana. It has been enforced heavily for the past 2-3 years. If the GVW total rating of a truck and trailer is 10K or greater it requires a DOT number period. 75% of the 3/4 ton pickup truck lawn guys with a tandem trailer have DOT numbers now. The other 1/4 will get tickets eventually. As I said I'm not clear if it's the feds or the state but it's the law and it's enforced. At least that's the way it's being enforced. And it's about money.

    The only thing I find hard to believe is the "Left Coast" hasn't used this as a revenue source. We in the midwest are usually way behind. I've never heard about the medical card, log book etc stuff, those are all CDL over 26K requirements I think. At least that's what was on my CDL test.

    Some of you guys really get testy over different opinions. Matt I've searched like Tony and can't find even the Indiana regs that refer to this. But I personally know guys that have been pinched for it here. Beats me.

    Just because it's not enforced doesn't mean it's not law.

    Overall it's actually a very good thread. A question without an easy answer. Isn't that what these boards are about?
    The reason I got so testy about this is because I actually called the Nevada Highway Patrol, much to the chagrin of my wife who was adamant about the fact that Nevada is not like New York or (as you have shown) Indiana.

    My checking behind her was disrespectful considering it is her business to know things like this. I should have just taken her word for it. Hundreds of construction companies, contractors, delivery services, etc rely on her information to be accurate and I should have too. If she didn't know her job she wouldn't have done around 30,000 registrations in ten years and the DMV wouldn't refer commercial customers to her citing her expertise.

    I am sorry that you guys have to go through all that unnecessary junk in Indiana and where ever else it is. What possible purpose could it be for other than another method to extract money from contractors in the way of fees and penalties?

    When my camper is on the truck fully loaded the truck and camper weighs over 14,000 lbs. Behind that is a boat that weighs about 6000 lbs. That's 20,000 that I can drive from coast to coast. My friend pulls an 18,000 lb 40+ ft 5th wheel with a 2,800 lb boat BEHIND it and he can drive almost everywhere like that. But some poor guy going across the state line to wash some concrete with an F150 and a trailer with a 350 gallon tank has to have a DOT number. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

    Welcome to America.
    Sonitx
    702-358-7477





    Free FREE Events www.uamccevents.com

  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

    Thread Information

    Users Browsing this Thread

    There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    Single Sign On provided by vBSSO