• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

When is it time to call the painter?

Carlos Gonzales

We have some very talented and experienced painters here. I would like to ask them a question.

As a washer we wash to clean...this is obvious. I know for myself that I have done residentials over the years where I just knew that washing the house wouldn't "do it"...meaning the house needed painting.

In your opinion....what signs do we washers need to look for or indicators to determine that the house just needs a fresh coat of paint?

Terry Miller

Carlos,
Again this is a topic I would love to give a seminar on. Utilizing other business for our own. Time to call a painter is when you cannot remove something from the substrate. Cleaning old aluminum or steel siding, severly stained vinyl, same with concrete, etc. An experienced painter can and will paint any substrate. Some however concentrate on Residential, commercial or Industrial projects. Some overlap areas. None can do them all. Our example might be we will paint a million $ home, an apartment, commercial up to 65,000 sq. ft but never an industrial plant. Bottom line is get a reputable painter to work with. Not the chapaest or most expensive, base it on their experience and knowledge. Again, if you feel you may damage the substrate, call a painter for advice. Most painters think they can PW, but it usually isn't the real part of their business. They will ask your for advice as a professional. I hope this helps. Thank you.

Doug Dahlke

Donating Member
Signs a house need paint

Is the paint oxidized

Can you see places where the paint has peeled and bare wood is showing

Are there areas that get more direct sunlight and are obviously faded more than other parts of the house

Has the paint faded to where you can see overlap marks from when the house was painted (sprayed) last

Is there noticable wood rot

Carlos Gonzales

Signs a house need paint

Is the paint oxidized

Can you see places where the paint has peeled and bare wood is showing

Are there areas that get more direct sunlight and are obviously faded more than other parts of the house

Has the paint faded to where you can see overlap marks from when the house was painted (sprayed) last

Is there noticable wood rot

Thanks Doug!!

Jbruno

Wood rot would also warrant a call to the carpenter...

replacing wood, or fixing a leak may be more involved than adding a coat of paint. Most guys on here are probably capable of doing some wood replacement, hence why I have just as many wood working tools as I do powerwashing tools!! (and a good helper with a background in that kind of stuff!!!!)

Jbruno

A fireman that doesn't do ladders ??:Smiley-2009: Just kidding around

The ladder doesn't bother me, It's the painting part that sucks!!! If I can't reach it from the ground, then someone else gets to paint it! LOL

p.s. I'm in the engine... that's the guys with the hoses that put the fire out. the guys with the big ladders are our helpers!! (any firemmen on here will get that joke!!)

Florin Nutu

When I call a painter is when I get strong housewash mix on their red door that I didnt notice and it dried and made discoloration spots all over. Tried painting it myself but the quick dry paint that was requested was too quick for me.
Should have learned my lesson when the same thing happened with a green door, but at least that one I was able to fade out the spots.

plainpainter

In New England - that's easy, when you see copious amounts of peeling. As a painter I hated seeing vinyl go up, as they say 'Vinyl is Final' - so there is no future work there. But folks with painted homes for the most part here never get them washed - they wait until the next go around for painting.

But I always follow my 'unreasonable' rule. If I come to a house that would look much better with a new paint job - as in it's gone longer than 7-8 years since the last job. And homeowners are looking for a brand new looking home after a washing. That's when the bells goes off - and I alert the homeowner that I will be cleaning their home, but it won't look new.

Damaris Sutton

Time to call a painter when you screw up the cleaning and say to yourself you wish you had called a painter first.

Faded, peeling or alligatoring coatings. That powder stuff we call chalking on the brick? That comes from the binders in the paints that are separating. Otherwise known as blowes or or Home Creepo. Any Aluminum siding house.

Also, any home painted with the color lime green, bright orange, dark purple or other related historical ghetto colors out there in the compton color guilde. :biggrin:

Terry Miller

Carlos, When we look at a home that is clean and yet still looks old, it is time. Siding fades. Paint peels and deteriorates. Most home owners call us to clean the home to make it look new again. It can only happen if the substrate is new. Paint begins to fade immediatly after application. The way to tell as a pressure washer, if the home needs painted, ask the owner after cleaning if the are satisfied with the results. If they say it is dull and doesn't look fresh and new, it is time to paint. There is really no gauge to say this or that home needs painted. Similar to old tennis shoes. Some look like crap yet we wear them because we are comfortable with them. Hope this adds to the conversation.