• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

little PWer

Terry Miller

I hear about many folks doing 100's of thousands of Sq. ft. Who does the little stuff? Is it profitable and how much work do you do a year? We are small compared to many out in PW land. But if we make our profit, it is good. Thank you.

Ken Fenner

Terry, I only take on jobs under 20,000 s/f because I am not equipped for mass concrete work (only one 5.6 gpm hot). The jobs are profitable because I pick and choose them at $.10-$.15 s/f. I had a quarter million dollar/yr contract thrown in my lap but I had to decline it because it required traveling al the way out to your neck of the woods (as well as upstate NY all the way down to D.C) I just don't have the labor set up right yet.

Roger Gothorp

I just don't have the labor set up right yet.

Is the operative word "yet" there Ken?

Personally I think that those monster traveling shows are a niche all their own. If a profitable convenient job opportunity should present itself, we very well may take it on, but as with Ken - one hot machine isn't a good way to try to tackle those type jobs. We're little :)

Celeste

Ken Fenner

I've had discussions with with guys that have been with me seasonally for 2 and 3 years. They really want full time work. I really want to see what shakes out with the economy. I also need Jason to handle the residential side. I don't want to be involved (or at the least overly involved) with micro managing multi state endeavors. That means I need a whole commercial division inclusive with management. $250K sounds good and seemingly could cover three crews roving about the northeast. I really want to just focus on internet businesses. After this year my confidence is a little shaken so I want to spend the winter carefully thinking this whole thing out.

DJ Carroll

Terry

I have done some post concruction clean up which is really just a rinse, I have done a few parking lots i do a couple 30 day fast food places and i also have a couple bids in for gas stations . . .

I always say that only the owner of a business truly knows at what rate they can be profitable . . . Personally I love the fast foods . . . decent money not really good money like resi work but decent money and the best part is it is money every month . . . between my fast food Rest. I know that my rig and ins is going to get paid every month . . . that take a huge weight off my shoulders . . ..

I like concrete :cool:

Roger Gothorp

It's a good place you're in at this stage of your business DJ.

On a personal, off topic note: You are truly a breath of fresh air in this industry. You came in, asked questions, actually followed advise and have really tried to give back to the folks and community that supported you initially. Your success & drive combined with the wonderful trait of appreciation that someone taught you is just really nice. I hope your success continues and that you never lose the qualities you possess now.

Celeste

Doug Dahlke

Donating Member
I do some smaller centers. I hope to have contracts on more next year. I have found it difficult to break into these markets because most of the large PM companies have PW companies they already use and others trying to get in. Since many work off of a yearly budget you also need to be in the right place at the right time to get a contract. Then you have to wait another year for more until budgets are done again.

Still waiting for a big break with multiple locations being thrown at me at once. Just have to keep at it. Most of the contact I have with these PM companies comes from cold calling.

DJ Carroll

:eek: Gee thanks Celeste . . .I just try to do whats right and live like i was raised . . . the golden rule off treat others as you wish to be treated :)

Terry Miller

Ken,
Stay on the East Coast,
Quote: (I had a quarter million dollar/yr contract thrown in my lap but I had to decline it because it required traveling al the way out to your neck of the woods (as well as upstate NY all the way down to D.C)
Be afraid, Be very afraid!!!!!!
Just kidding Ken. I'm gonna paint your neighbors house next week! LOL

Attachments

• th_funny_animals_pictures_06.gif
    th_funny_animals_pictures_06.gif
    13.4 KB · Views: 20

Russ Spence

As the owner of one of the Large traveling shows. I will say this, it is not an easy task. We have been out here for going on 3 years on the roads and we are still working the kinks out. I do enjoy it , but it is not easy.

Last edited:

Carlos Gonzales

As the owner of one of the Large traveling shows. I will say this, it is not an easy task. We have been out here for going on 3 years on the roads and we are still working the kinks out. I do enjoy it , but it is not easy.

Take heed guys.....it can get pretty lonely and interesting on the road all the time.