• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Cleaning Deck above stained stamped concrete

cmturner

Got a customer who wants 2 decks cleaned to be ready to stain, he has another guy that is going to stain the decks. The thing I am worried about is both decks are elevated over a patio, the patio has like a rough surface on it, kinda like waves or something, it was done on purpose, looks really good. The concrete has also been stained kind of an orange color. All of the decorative work was done at the same time, about 3 years ago. I am cleaning the concrete as well but I am only ball valve rinsing it off, doesn't need anymore than that and I am not really sure if I can take a surface cleaner to it.

One of the decks is about 7 years old pressure treated wood and the other is about 5 years old pressure treated wood, neither one have ever been stained or painted.

So my question is what can I use to remove the gray wood and prepare this for staining without fear of damaging the surface below. I might be over thinking this and that stain can hold up to about anything but I am not sure. Thanks for any help you all can give.

opwdecks

Exterior wood cleaners, strippers, or brighteners will not hurt stamped or decorative concrete surfaces. Just make sure and rinse all the dirt and grime when done.

Ken Fenner

Yeah, i agree with Scott, you're fine. As an added precaution wet the concrete first and make it the first thing you rinse.

cmturner

Thanks for the info guys, as always you all are great.

I am not normally a woody, cleaned mold and mildew off quite a few decks but that is about the extent of it. If all I am wanting to do is remove the gray for him is it ok for me to just use a good stong housewash or should I use a mixed weak stripper. I also have some of Bob's F-10 Percarb cleaner from his sample pack, will that work? Thanks

Ken Fenner

The percarb will work fine and some woodies will recommend it. I would downstream a stripper and then downstream your acid for maximum efficiency.

Spray Clean

I'm new to the game and to this forum. I have only sampled one wood cleaner/restorer so far. CPR works great for me on gray, weathered and aged wood. followed by a brightener. I have to do a deck above sealed pavers too and was going to tarp it just in case. wetting the surrounding area's a good idea too.