• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Vinyl siding paint?

Roger Gothorp

I have icky white vinyl siding on areas of my home (primarily a brick home) We are getting ready to change all of the trim paint (windows, doors, gutters, etc...) from white to black. I want to change the vinyl siding portion as well (to a creamier color) but definitely do NOT want to go the route of replacing the vinyl. Can it be painted and with what type of paint?

Celeste

Jeff LeCours

We always use to use an Acrylic Latex, that was 10+ years ago so there may be better products, but from what I understand Acrylic Latex is what you are to use. I applied to vinyl trim on several houses and I know on at least a few of the houses it lasted years

Roger Gothorp

Thanks guys - is there any extra prep for vinyl like"etching" or anything like that? I've tried painting plastics in the past with fairly dismal results :( and I don't want to be repainting in a short period of time!

Celeste

Doug Dahlke

Donating Member
When I do shutters I just clean them usually with a house wash mix. I don't think there is any special prep invloved besides making sure the surface is clean. Call your SW store and ask them to be sure.

Tonyg

Doug or Matt,

When using Superpaint (we have definitely settled on that product from SW) on vinyl, do you add the Emulsabond?

Celeste

Noooo

Use the SW Duration or BM Aura not the SuperPaint. Both of those products are heavy 100% acrylic, high build at 2.8mils dry (SW), and self priming, and lifetime manufacturer warranty. You can easily cut it 20% and spray with an airless. One coat would do it but plan on two because of holidays. If it is a darker color go with the BM Aura. Be sure to do it before it warms up.

Oh, Hi Celeste :)

Tonyg

Ooops, sorry Celeste, I just noticed that that date was 10/20 instead of 11/20 :eek:

If you've already done it you made a great choice :rolleyes:

If not try the other products.:cool:

Doug Dahlke

Donating Member
Re: Vinyl siding painting as a service?

I also do painting and have never been asked to paint a vinyl sided home. I have painted vinyl shutters to match a door or because the customer wanted a color they couldn't get. Vinyl can be painted, you just don't see much of it.

Tonyg

How many guys paint vinyl siding as a service? I wonder if quite a few do over on the paint forums?

I wouldn't think it would be a great add on service. Painting vinyl siding can be a pain. Many many joints, cracks, and corner molding to shoot up into. I don't do many because I try to charge at least an arm for it and I will only do it between late fall and early spring. Paint it when its warm and you a bunch of surprises when cooler weather hits and the vinyl contracts.

Roger Gothorp

Tony -

No painting happening yet :( We're still in the planning stages PLUS - it's sooooo cccooooollllddd here!

If you get a minute this weekend or next week, I'd like to talk to you about the paint you're recommending as well as methods!

Thanks so much for your input :)

Celeste

Len Sutton

Contributing Member

I wouldn't think it would be a great add on service. Painting vinyl siding can be a pain. Many many joints, cracks, and corner molding to shoot up into. I don't do many because I try to charge at least an arm for it and I will only do it between late fall and early spring. Paint it when its warm and you a bunch of surprises when cooler weather hits and the vinyl contracts.

Celeste,

I agree with Tonya. When painting a siding that is subject to expansion and contraction is best done in cooler weather. Painting siding when it is warm and the material is in an expanded state will show up all kinds of missed places when the weather turns cool and the material contracts.

Sherwin Williams make an excellent paint, but I prefer Porter Paint's Acri-Shield (100% acrylic) myself. It's an exterior coating that is flexible or pliable enough to withstand the expansion and contraction of the siding it is applied to. It also comes in a version that can be applied in temperatures down to 35 degrees. I painted a cedar sided condo complex through out the winter with it a few years with excellent results and only missed a few days because of low temperatures. I have used it on vinyl siding on smaller jobs and on a bunch of shutters as well.

plainpainter

Celeste - the important thing you want to remember with painting vinyl is that you must remove the oxidation! This can be acheived several ways. The first way is that I like to use a strong mix of TSP and bleach like 1/4 to 1/2 cup of TSP per gallon and quart of bleach. Then when you apply it's important to use a combination of scrubbing and if you are a purist a low pressure rinse - or if you are like me a high pressure blasting. I have added sodium hydroxide to the mix in the past. Perhaps you can let it dwell with strong chems and use high pressure without scrubbing. But I always like to scrub to make extra sure.

Then let the house dry and make sure you have removed all oxidation. At this point you can use a quality 100% acrylic exterior grade paint, but don't use a color that is darker than the original color of the vinyl - unless you have a special paint. I prefer to use 2 coats of Pratt&Lambert Accolade. Or Pittsburgh paints 100% Acrylic Manor Hall. Or you can you use Muralo's exterior Ultimate house paint.

Terry Miller

Celeste,
# 1 Hire a reputable professional painting company if possible.
# 2 Clean the substrate as clean as possible.
# 3 Apply two coats of any good 100% acrylic paint.
That should do it.

SW has some darker colors if needed.
Don't forget to get into the seams as the siding will contract and expand.
If you have any questions feel free to call.
Thank you.

Roger Gothorp

Thanks all for the advice! I'm fairly certain that we've passed the "cooler" temp stage as it feels like NC is the new Alaska now. It's absolutely FREEZING here - early. We've even had snow already!! At what point in the spring are temps optimum - 50 degrees?

Ultimately, my icky white siding is going to be a creamier pale pale pale yellow tone so I guess technically I am going darker than original but not by much. We do have a painter on staff and are considering adding exterior painting to our business so, my house becomes the "guinea pig" again :) LOL - By the time we finish doing all of the "things" that we're using in various businesses - I will have quite a unique and extra beautiful home! I live in my favorite marketing tool!

I will be calling you guys - Thanks!

Celeste