• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Have You Ever Thought About Quitting This?

Ya I do think of retiring. But then I think, I am already semi retired. I am currently physically working 61 or so days a year. My neighbors think I am a drug dealer or have a wealthy trust that I am living off from.

My wife dose not work and wants me to cut back as well as to be with our kids and do activities as a family.

Thats my 2 cents

Last edited:

Doug Dahlke

Donating Member
I have found that having a business is like golf. Just when you're ready to chunk your clubs in the lake you hit a great shot and decide to keep going.

I started in Feb of 06. By June of 07 we were in a drought of historic proportions, 08 the drought kept up and the economy started to tank, 09 drought is over but many counties still have water restrictions, lost my commercial contracts and the economy is completely in the toilet. I am also 51 years old, not the greatest age to be looking for work, even if I could find any with unemployment where it is.

Residential work is actually up this year but the loss of commercial is hurting. I have thought about quitting many times but just keep moving forward. Still hoping to pull a rabbit out of my a** and make this thing work.

Craig Harrison

UAMCC Associate Member
I've never thought of quitting the business of powerwashing, but I have let some services go. They are usually replaced by shorter time/higher rewards type of services. There are some stains that I have given up on in the past, like about 1000 times but something always pushes me to go back until I figure it out.

That's what I love about the biz is there are so many different ways and techniques to clean something. It's our jobs to figure out the right combination to make our jobs faster and more profitable.

Chris Apple

Just curious about how many washers out there thought one time or another to give it up. Has there been a moment in your business where you just said..."the He%% with it...I am done"?

What kept you in the game?

It was tough in the beginning. Not enough work, hard work with little to show for it.

But quit? Never! The easiest way through something is straight at it. Failure isn't an option.

Steven Mendez

No not yet lol. I have actually been doing pretty good here in Maine. I think that maine is a little slower than the rest of the country when it comes to cleaning up their property. I am trying hard to spread the word and it can get frustrating at times. but I believe I will overcome the battle and start to flourish. AUDENTAS FORTUNA JUVAT.

Guy Blackmon

I had a plan coming into this. 5 years, sink or swim 5 years. I worked a "regular job" while building our business so I had a safety net. Pretty hard working 80 plus hrs at the time, but you get out of it what you put into it.

Simple answer.....No, never thought about quitting....Ever.

Chris Dubbs

I quit every day when the work is done. And every day I get up and do it all over again.
Quitting is a way of life, but not my life!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ron Musgraves

Past President
Staff member
I've never thought of quitting the business of powerwashing, but I have let some services go. They are usually replaced by shorter time/higher rewards type of services. There are some stains that I have given up on in the past, like about 1000 times but something always pushes me to go back until I figure it out.

That's what I love about the biz is there are so many different ways and techniques to clean something. It's our jobs to figure out the right combination to make our jobs faster and more profitable.

Craig you have no idea how that last paragraph is everything !!

Iowa July 19 & 20 free free text me for more details !!

Tristan Colborg

No not yet lol. I have actually been doing pretty good here in Maine. I think that maine is a little slower than the rest of the country when it comes to cleaning up their property. I am trying hard to spread the word and it can get frustrating at times. but I believe I will overcome the battle and start to flourish. AUDENTAS FORTUNA JUVAT.

Steve that is a nice logo, where did you get the idea from??? :smile:

Rance Tilley

Contributing Member
No. Never. I'm in it to win it! Like Chris Apple said " Failure is not an option". I have invested to much to quit now, besides I love this work. To me it's very satisfying and rewarding. Also there are some really good hearted people that are true to the industry and only want everyone who is serious about their business to succeed. It is good to have friends here who are willing to help a brother out when he ask for help. There is definitely a family type atmosphere here that makes things even better, for me anyway. Thanks to everybody who has taken the time to help me out when I needed it and thanks to all of you who have steered this ship in the direction it's going and making it what it is!

Scott Stone

It was a frustrating time in my life. Thankfully the hiring managers had a big enough ego to be afraid of what I had done. Last I heard, they were both unemployed within a year of to hiring me, due to incompetence. One of them was specifically told to hire me, and thought he had more influence then the president of the company. He could call that an unfortunate miscalculation.
Like I said, it worked out well for me.