• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Trailers?

Carlos Gonzales

I have a question for those that pull trailers. Do you prefer PT lumber or steel mesh on the floor of your trailers? Pro's/Con's! Or do you have something else down as the floor!

Just curious!

Florin Nutu

I have PT lumber down on mine and it has held up well to the abuse I have put it thru. I will be stripping it down here soon though and will apply a deck stain on it. I have metal mesh on the trailer as well on the V neck where I hold surface cleaner or a carboid of SHC and that area is rusting up. Think it would be easier to change a board or two if they rot thru rather than weld patch a rust hole.

Mathew Johnson

On our haulmark trailers, there is plywood on the floor and interior walls. When we take delivery, we saturate the walls and floor with readyseal deck sealer, Our one trailer is 5 years old and has held up very well even with the chem exposure and so forth.

\MJ

There are allot of benefiters for both. Wood is lighter and easier and cheaper to install and work with. Steel is almost " Forever". Wither steel is painted or Powder Coated, steel is always stronger. For our rig, the wood flooring was not strong enough to hold all of our equipment. Infact, the average steel deck of 1/8 inch was not strong enough. We had to go with 3/8 diamond plate which is a bit stronger than just plain 1/8 steel.

So for a light weight trailer, to keep cost down, for lightweight items ( 900 lbs or less) that are not necessary to be permanently welded or installed on the trailer, wood would be my choice.

For heavier trailers, 10k plus with equipment permanently installed with stress factors involved, use a cat program.... that will inform you that steel is the best option for those limited situations. These trailers are usually bigger in the weight classification.

Last edited:

Tomdurbin

Contributing Member
I have done my fair share of all of the above. If you use steel it gets slick and it will rust, wood will rot eventually and it gets slick as well. If the wood is not PT then you had better use a sealer. If you use steel have them spray it with a hot spray like a bed liner. The kind that gets hard and is textured. This will help with sliping. If it an enclosed trailer get the slip proof rubber overlay. This works great. Hope this helps.

Mathew Johnson

We saturate the inside of the trailers (walls and floors) with readyseal. It holds up very well. My 14 foot Haulmark still looks good and is in good condition 4 years later

Jim Cooney

I prefer the PT lumber, because the wood absorbs the vibrations and provides more cushion for the equipment.

I've primed and sprayed my new trailer with Heculiner.

TrilogyViscanciaNewTrailer025.jpg

TrilogyViscanciaNewTrailer027.jpg

NewTrailerCompleted001.jpg

Douglas Hicks

My enclosed trailer has Rhino lining on the floor and 18" up the wall. To date, it has held up very well to the occasional SH on the floor. The only problem is the floor gets slippery when wet.