Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is the toughest part of your job?

Question What is the toughest part of your job?

As a pressure washing business owner with some tenure under your belt, what would you consider to be the toughest part of being in the business of pressure washing?

Is it the actual work the drives you nuts?

How about sales and getting contracts?

Or is it your workers/employees? How many times do you have to tell them that the red tip is not used to write their name in window screens?

Is there enough time in the day for you and your business?

What about your famil? Do you often come home late a night only to find a note on the fridge that says, "dinner is in microwave"?

Lets here your thoughts!
    [B]Carlos Gonzales[/B]
    [B]New Look Power Wash
    [URL="http://www.newlookpowerwash.com"]Pressure Wash in California[/URL][/B]
    [URL="http://www.newlookpowerwash.com/category/uncategorized"][B]California Pressure Washing Blog[/B][/URL]
    [B][URL="http://www.newlookpowerwash.com/california-pressure-wash-blog/pressure-wash-services-in-san-francisco.html"]Pressure Wash Services in San Francisco[/URL][/B]

Default Re: What is the toughest part of your job?

Its the juggling of aquired jobs, prospective jobs, getting new jobs, weather dependent jobs, employee issues and schedules.
    Florin Nutu
    ALL WASHED UP EXTERIOR CLEANING LLC
    206-380-4555

Seattle Roof Cleaning and Pressure Washing
    email--- allwashedupexterior@gmail.com

Every year I want to grow over the year before, the constant struggle to maintain exsisting customers and getting new ones sometimes is a battle.

Employees can be tough, working up to a good crew has been a battle at times.

Its real nice foor me not to have to spray anymore, but I do everything else and it gets to be a lot at times

I love owning my own business and I will always do what it takes. I have someone starting in August to help me automate and systemise my office..I can't wait

I love this biz

Life is Good

When all this "stuff' that we as business owners deal with get's a little too much...when do you know it is time to expand...bring in more people...hire a site supervisor and etc.? What "internal systems" do you have in place to help make the crazy days run a bit smoother?

A few years ago when I was out in the "trenches" I was on overload. I had no less than 5-8 concrete/landscaping jobs and many, many wash jobs going on at the same time. Was up to 12 guys working for me. I didn't do anything magic except surrounded myself around talented people and I allowed their talent to be used. My internal systems were not created on the fly. I knew what I wanted (in my mind) and had it mentally mapped out. So when the "influx" of jobs kept on coming...I just leaned into my systems more and more and allowed it to RUN the work. Towards the end of the summer myself and my crews were like a fine tuned Rolex...man we were hot!
    [B]Carlos Gonzales[/B]
    [B]New Look Power Wash
    [URL="http://www.newlookpowerwash.com"]Pressure Wash in California[/URL][/B]
    [URL="http://www.newlookpowerwash.com/category/uncategorized"][B]California Pressure Washing Blog[/B][/URL]
    [B][URL="http://www.newlookpowerwash.com/california-pressure-wash-blog/pressure-wash-services-in-san-francisco.html"]Pressure Wash Services in San Francisco[/URL][/B]

The first question:
    What is the toughest part of your job?
    I would say it is the variable I cannot control. I can control the customer, supplies, employees, etc. I cannot control the weather, accidents, etc.
    The second question:
    When all this "stuff' that we as business owners deal with get's a little too much...when do you know it is time to expand...bring in more people...hire a site supervisor and etc.? What "internal systems" do you have in place to help make the crazy days run a bit smoother?
    We expanded to 12 a few years back. Found the work to be tedious just to maintain the employees. Babysitting if you will! LOL I see companys today who brag about the # of employees they have. GOD Bless them. For our company, I fired 6 in one day and have no intentions to do that again. We maintain 5 employees and do very well with that #. Our business has been around for 12 years now and we have pretty good set of standards. Everyone follows them. Our employees are part of our family and they know the rules. A 32 pg. Handbook, which they signed. They know the results if they cross the line and what we expect. By doing so, we support them any way possible. Having these guidelines in place, we don't have to may problems. Thank you.
    Our Passion is Coatings,
    Our Obsession is Service!

Terry Miller COO
    Tegrey Family of Coatings inc.
    330-418-8955

Maintaining personal discipline - staying on an even keel is the toughest thing for me. It's easy to get like a superball on steroids or hit the wall hard. Don't they make some medication to keep you level???
    Roger Gothorp
    336-516-6139

Balancing the internal aspects of the business with the external, and building the infrastructure to support both. Oh, and shutting off my mind from thinking about the business 24/7.

Scott Burt
    Topcoat Finishes, Inc.

The hardest thing is wearing too many 'hats' at once. Doing the marketing, advertizing, sales - along with doing the actual work is really hard. I can't keep up with 'spikes' in the leads department. Yet this business never seems to have a steady stream of leads - which is what I really need. Even though I get real slow at times - I am very resistant to increase my marketing - because when folks do call, I can't keep up. I wish the business was more 'even'.
    Daniel Tambasco
    Just Plain Painting
    Gutter Cleaning MA
    Deck Restoration Contractor
    978-749-9808

Quote Originally Posted by plainpainter View Post
    The hardest thing is wearing too many 'hats' at once. Doing the marketing, advertizing, sales - along with doing the actual work is really hard. I can't keep up with 'spikes' in the leads department. Yet this business never seems to have a steady stream of leads - which is what I really need. Even though I get real slow at times - I am very resistant to increase my marketing - because when folks do call, I can't keep up. I wish the business was more 'even'.
    Increase the advertising. Thats what I did and so far its been a banner year for us. Yes sometimes we only have enough work a week out but there are times we are booked for over a month and its mainly because we advertise alot and I have an excellent crew. My wife and I have it in our heads how much a day on average we want to make to keep our business pretty profitable so by advertising alot we stay busy. But to do this I can't do any of the physical work which I don't. If I powerwash 5 times a year it alot...except for when I use the Swabby then I'm out with my guys working. Get a crew and if your customers are pushed off a few weeks its just means that your that much busier and a good customer wants to keep you business if your good....and where good.

Putting down the wand. Not because I love it but because I worry the guys won't do it the way I would.
    John Doherty
    Garden State Mobile Wash, LLC

Commercial and Residential Pressure Washing Companies Offering Cleaning
    of Roofs and House Washing Services.

• Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information