• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

How Big or Wide is Your Service Area?

Mathew Johnson

Great responses from everyone. I am curious how other folks view their service area and what would prompt them to travel beyond their normal service area for work.

Lets see...75 stores to do. Do two of them a day...thats roughly 37 days. Lets just say the stores pay 300.00...just flat work and sidewalks...or whatever. Takes 4 hours to do one store....thats $22,500 Gross Revenue ever quarter x 4 quarters = $90,000.

Might be worth a trip

600 per day..... Not enough revenue to travel great distances. 37 days would be just over 5 weeks out of the quarter not counting travel days, food and lodging expenses.

I might consider it if I could get a crew of 2 to go out and do them, But figure 2 guys at 14.00 per hour, 8 hour day plus 2 hours per day travel X2, that would be 20 hours at 14.00 = 280.00 at workers Comp 9.88 per hundred (about 30 bucks), fica and unemployement insurance, now you are at about 320.00 per day. Giving each employee a 30.00 per day stipend for meals , Now you are at 380.00 per day in expenses. Figure a hotel fifty percent of the nights / days (40.00 per day when averaged out) now you are at 420.00, Between equipment and vehicles - figure fuel on the low side at 70 per day (especially if you need hot water), Now you are at 490.00 per day in expenses. Then there are your base operating expenses on phone, advertising, yellow pages and of course the wonderful vehicle and liability insurance along with the equipment cost, maintenance and depreciation schedule. If your base operating expensed to open your doors, advertise and maintain your equipment, tires, repairs and PM is 18000 per year than based on a 5 day work week, your expenses are 69.00 per day. Now you are at 549.00. If you operate 7 or 8 months out of the year due to weather, your daily operating cost are about 112.00 per day (give or take) that puts your project cost at 602.00 per day.

The hidden cost of "cost of goods sold" can kill you on a job like this....

RMedbery

Wow, flatwork sure sounds expensive. Id send a crew out of town if they brought in 600 a day..........every day......for as long as they wanted. And make a pretty good profit to boot. Ill stick with KEC.

RMedbery

The expenses would be the same no matter the type of job.
Um, no. Maybe for any type of flatwork job........not KEC. By his own figures it costs him an extra $156 a day to have a 2 man crew on the road as opposed to local. That means (by his own figures) it costs him $446 a day to keep them local. So, either flatwork is very expensive or he needs to get his costs under control. Just one example, he says $70 fuel on the low side per day, my exact cost for fuel for 1 crew last month was $6.62 per work day.

RMedbery

But I will say 300 would be my minimum for an easy local job. Travel jobs will bring in more, but with 75 locations it would be less than my "normal" travel job. But still, if I could find 2 guys that would be willing to be gone that long I probably wouldnt say no to 600 a day.

Mathew Johnson

Um, no. Maybe for any type of flatwork job........not KEC. By his own figures it costs him an extra $156 a day to have a 2 man crew on the road as opposed to local. That means (by his own figures) it costs him $446 a day to keep them local. So, either flatwork is very expensive or he needs to get his costs under control. Just one example, he says $70 fuel on the low side per day, my exact cost for fuel for 1 crew last month was $6.62 per work day.

The prices I quoted are for over the road pricing, not local as I believe that was the gist of the thread - "how far would you travel".

$6.62 per day for fuel???????????. Are they driving a golf cart? That is really good. Good Job with cost control. We live in upstate NY. 6.62 would buy about 2.5 gallons of fuel. - we can run our machines for a couple of hours with that amount of fuel or drive about 30 miles. (it is enough to get us to the gas station).

I think we control our cost pretty well, we price to show upwards of a a 500.00 PROFIT per day after all expenses including my salary, not to work just to keep employees busy. That is how we have built our business and stay in business. I would pass on the contract scenario that Carlos proposed. Many would jump at it.

A wise man once told me that if you are not going to make money on a job, you might as well stay home and not make any money.

Chris Tharpe

I personally go through 50.00 in fuel nightly in my machines alone doing flatwork. This does not count the transportation or any maintenance. I have been averaging about 750 a night alone for the last 30 days and have fuel reciepts for truck and rig for the last 30 days that total a little bit over 2k which is average for my operation.

The only way it can be made very profitable to service many properties over a large area is to have a great rig that can wash 3-4 Casual Dining Facilities a night with 2 men. This should yield roughly 800-1250 per night depending upon the maintenance intervals. In my position its hard to justify an employee unless they can generate $600.00 a night in revenue