• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Jeff/ Condo King! Words of Wisdom

Terry Miller

Jeff,
The Condo King! Any words of wisdom? I want to be the condo King of NE USA? LOL I'd like to start out slow, maybe 10 areas of 100-150 units. Hopefully grow much larger. Your info at MB was great. I am trying some ideas you gave us and always looking for more. Thank you.

Jeff LeCours

Getting ready to take the kids out trick or treating. I will get back to ya this weekend

1st you got to find what PM companies you want to target. Web search PM companies in your town/city and expand from those areas.

Find PM websites and see if they have a list or properties and or a list of PM names.Usually not real estate companies, you want PM's that are for HOA/POA/COA Properties

Got to find your customer

BOO......got to go

Jeff LeCours

Like I said you want PM companies. Now I am not saying real estate companies that do property management work won't have any MULTI UNIT properties such as condo/townhome properties but what quite often is with real estate offices is they manager individual units with in a complex, they often don't manage the entire complex. It the one that manages the entire complex that you want to get to. BUT some real estate companies do manage entire complexes. I just say this because sometime if its real estate office its not really the target you want to go after so you may waste a lot of time,energy, stamps etc going after them. You can possibly find out through your Internet searches or just call the company
NOW another thing about real estate companies that mange properties, not just sell properties. They can be a good source of work, but sometimes smaller single homes. Around here there's a lot of vacation rentals beach homes etc etc . I don't go after the smaller stuff, but if someone does want this kind of work, these companies may have it. Vacation rental properties quite often are a good source of work, most want to keep them clean and some cleaning is handled by these companies or they will recommend to the actual owner. Some just don't deal with it and its the owner responsibility. Then its just a PITA tracking that person/owner down.

Once you find some PM companies, now you have to find who do you mail your intro letter to....This can be a hard one at times. Best way is if they have a website and they list the individual PM's or the CEO etc etc. Another good way is just call the receptionist. I quite often have called the receptionist and introduced myself and said I would like to send an info package and I would like a name of the person who would be the best to send it to, who's in charge or oversees the managers. AT THIS TIME I also ask for the company fax number, so I can fax some info. GETTING PERMISSION to fax now and that avoids problems.
OK now you are calling the receptionist.. I usually never have any problem doing this BUT, I have gotten receptionist that won't help you, they don't give this info out or they will tell you they do all washing in house. Often its just they don't want to deal with you, or they just get a lot of these calls and don't want them.
I would say 95% of the time you can get GREAT INFO and HELP from the receptionist

Use your charm, be nice, I don't like asking to much, they are often busy, but being short and sweet will always get you better chances. Now I have also asked to see if they can email or fax me a list of there managers. Must may not, but I have gotten a couple to send me a list over the years.

Now remember I when I started wasn't a great talker, just not a smooth salesman at all to get people to talk. I think cold calling or asking for the names of a PM and trying to get a meeting with a PM is a great tool. I just was not good at it, getting better, but if you are good at this type of approach and are a good salesman GO FOR IT,

Jeff LeCours

Other way to find PM companies and or HOA's

Go to a condo property ask a resident if they know who the PM company is, ask if they have the name of a BOD member and a #. Around here there are a zillion HOA, condo properties many are managed by smaller companies that are hard to locate doing a search. Sometimes you can't find a PM so asking residents is your best chance

Around here and other places, they quite often have small signs at entrances " This Property Managed By XXXX Management"

3 story and up buildings with elevators quite often the Elevator Certificate in the elevator will have the name of the PM company that holds the cert

Internet search of yellow pages .com

Most states I think HOA's are corporations and you can track them through public records

Networking

Any way you can think to find these PM, try it. If anyone has had luck other ways please share them here.

Stay tuned I will be adding things all fall & winter

Jeff LeCours

Who has a ALOT of condo/townhome properties around your area?

Give me your location ( in detail, town, city, county, state) and lets do a test, I will try to find PM companies in your area that deal with HOA properties

Don't know if will work, but I would like to try. I'm pretty sure I will be able to find some PM's for you.

Not apartment complexes although we can probably find those pretty easy too

Jeff LeCours

montgomery, Al

Cool, I will work on this in the next couple days and see what I come up with. Question, is there a lot of condo type properties, 10, 25, 100+. Is Montgomery the only area that you work in, is it the biggest/main area, is the area called anything else, like here in Myrtle Beach its also called the Grand Strand area

Ashley Phillips

Jeff,
If you don't mind do Birmingham, Alabama also. Also go ahead and contact the PM and you can even set up the jobs. Let me know when to start. I will send you a gift card or something. jk

I think it is great the way you are helping people.

Jeff LeCours

montgomery, Al

Did a quick search. Some are harder than others. I will look more. Look at Affinity Investment Services, do a search, they manage a couple complexes, looks like apartment complexes

Also search Treehouse Property Management. Looks like they may have some multi unit, but also a lot of just single family homes they manage. I also used to look at these types , sometime they recommend contractors to homeowners ALSO some of these communities have Clubhouse, pool areas, common areas, fences, walls etc that need cleaning. We do a ton of common area work, dozens of pool areas and clubhouses. Several miles of vinyl fencing at times, common area work is good work and a good way for a PM to check you out

I am surprised neither had their own website. I will do a little more searching when I get time. Remember even around here where this is a zillion HOA communities I can only find a small percentage of property manager at times through searching, I check back and do searches often every couple months and often something new pops up

Thanks,
I see treehouse stuff everywhere. I am going to look into these. I just got in the door with kyser pm here as well. They manage a decent amount of properties as well as shopping centers.

Jeff,
Thanks for posting this info here. I also appreciate the information/ wisdom that you passed along to me earlier this season for completing my first complex. It was a great success and I wish to pursue this more.

If anyone is going to the ACR RT this November and has the info presented on this topic from the Myrtle Beach RT, let me know, I will compensate you for copies of the material and pick it up. Also if there is a copy of any material available, I would pay to have it sent to me. Thanks, again.

Regards, Mike

Jeff LeCours

Thanks,
I see treehouse stuff everywhere. I am going to look into these. I just got in the door with kyser pm here as well. They manage a decent amount of properties as well as shopping centers.

You are welcome. I saw that Kyser, ya it looked like they do a lot of commercial go for it. Looks like a good sized operation

Jeff LeCours

Jeff,
If you don't mind do Birmingham, Alabama also. Also go ahead and contact the PM and you can even set up the jobs. Let me know when to start. I will send you a gift card or something. jk

I think it is great the way you are helping people.

Man I found a ton of commercial & apartment property management companies. Do a google of property management companies in birmingham AL. Tons of apartment complexes listed, saw some websites with PM names and properties listed
Heres a tip - If you see properties listed on a PM website and you want to go for it call the receptionist and ask who the PM of that property is

Jeff LeCours

HERE'S A COUPLE TIPS everyone

go look at - www.allpropertymanagement.com Its a listing of pm companies they have a thing you can scroll and it shows all types of management options. The list isn't always huge for certain areas but it may be helpful.

This site might give you some PM company names, take those names then do a search and see if they have a website and research their site

Another tip - If you find a PM company you want to get the PM's names, try to call them after hours. WHY? Sometimes and I mean only sometimes they will have a recorded message and SOMETIMES on that message they will give extensions & NAMES of the property managers. NAMES are what you want, then you can direct your targeting material to a person directly. I have gotten whole list of names off the company answering machine

Greg Nash

The HOAs make the final choice on what company to use, but the PMs can get you in front of multiple HOAs depending on how many properties they manage. I think marketing the PMs is usually more profitable when you get one. If you get one keep them happy and they will put money in your pocket.

Jim Chesmore

I have been advertising in the community news papers. These papers sometimes list the different developments along with the different PM's for each development. So if you go to the rec center or some other gathering place where they give away the papers, you may get lucky.

I have talked to the people running the rec center and got tons of good info. I just walked in and ask who was in charge, tell them what I do and why I would like to talk to them and they end up telling me everything.