• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

looking for current bid $$

KDC8686

So I'm looking to get input on prices. keep in mind I'm a scraper. I've been using the same prices for way too long I'm sure. I charge approx 120 for a straight 16 to 20' run, fan, shroud, and a 90 or what ever degree one turn is.Then I charge approx 65 for the hood. This usually takes about 5 to 4hrs of work, unless I didn't inspect as well as I should have..:rolleyes:

I've been using these prices since 1994.
I've never been notified of a system not passing inspection, however, I have set off one fire system and thank god for insurance and great customer relations..
Am I under bidding? I try to bring in $30 per HR. I charge 35 for an access panel and that includes a gasket rather then caulking and hardware. I don't do hoods that have not been serviced regularly because I have no clue what to bid it at. I know in my area the other greasers are traveling either by ferry or driving at least70 mins. to get to the Peninsula. I've been told they are so busy in Tacoma and Seattle the owners feel that they are getting the service when it is convenient for the greasers regardless of the regular scheduled cleaning. With the influx of business I figure I should at least find out what others are charging and how they come to that specific price.
Thanks in advance....

The Cleaning Doctor

Contributing Member
Are you kidding? From what I have learned you are WAY under priced. You have a job not a business. How are you going to afford to replace equipment after it wears out or breaks? Around here say an Ihop pays $325 each quarter for quarterly cleanings. You should be closer to the 75 - 100 per hour gross.

Why not clean the ones that have not been serviced. Just make sure that for the first few you only have that one to clean that night incase you under estimated the time it was going to take. After 4 or 5 you will have it down pretty good and will be able to judge what it takes. After 10 or 20 you should be within .5 hours of actual time. You should be able to make $600 or more per night gross.

You might also check into other methods of cleaning because your method of scraping still leaves grease in the duct.

Now I don't do hoods and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night but before I got into what I am doing now I did alot of research. Maybe one of the regulars will chime in. I would also recommend that you seriously think about some training in hood cleaning so that you can get faster and put more money in your pockets.

Don't think I am jumping you it just took me by surprise when you said you were getting $185 to clean an hood, duct and fan. good luck to you and I hope you are able to increase your profits and business. Try looking at firemanllc.com for some info.

RMedbery

The thing is, you have the hard part down pat, scrapping. Most new greasers think theres a magic bullet (foam) where they dont have to do any work, it dont work like that. The best thing to do is scrape, then wash. So you only have the easy part to learn, washing. And yes, charge more, only you know how much but I dont care where you are..............you aint charging enough.

Carlos Gonzales

KDC 8686 - welcome to the UAMCC BBS. Continue to ask questions. There are some veteran greasers here that are willing to help those that help themselves.

Please go to th USER CP *upper left hand corner* and add your signature. We would like to know who we are speaking with...thanks!

KDC8686

Pat you have to remember I haven't been doing this as my primary job for several years and it still isn't it. However, as you point out I don't want to rip myself off. As I said I've been using prices that I used back in 1994. Over the years I just never cared since it was a secondary income and I did it when I wanted to.. but with the way it's picking up I might as well modernize beginning with prices.
So as of now I will increase to what I feel is fair. Lets say Dennys. I had several Denny's in California and was charging about 300 give or take for behind the vents up the (2)ducts, 2 fans, two short straight runs and two short 90's .
So lets say in hours what should I be charging an establishment?
I'm actually leaving here at 2AM to do a bar and grill. Nice easy good old soft hamburger grease..I don't think scrapers can ask for anything more.
Carlos I think I have it now:rolleyes:

Carlos Gonzales

Pat you have to remember I haven't been doing this as my primary job for several years and it still isn't it. However, as you point out I don't want to rip myself off. As I said I've been using prices that I used back in 1994. Over the years I just never cared since it was a secondary income and I did it when I wanted to.. but with the way it's picking up I might as well modernize beginning with prices.
So as of now I will increase to what I feel is fair. Lets say Dennys. I had several Denny's in California and was charging about 300 give or take for behind the vents up the (2)ducts, 2 fans, two short straight runs and two short 90's .
I'm actually leaving here at 2AM to do a bar and grill. Nice easy good old soft hamburger grease..I don't think scrapers can ask for anything more.

All right....:clap:

Florin Nutu

Hello Phil,

That price is way low. I know you live out in the middle of nowhere (in my opinion) and alot of cheapos there but you have to get your price up if you want a succesful biz. If you cant get more then it might be worth the $18 roundtrip ferry daily to come to civilization and get what the service is worth. About a year back I was looking into getting into hoods and what you explained on first post most restaurants were billed in the 300-350 range.

The Cleaning Doctor

Contributing Member

Like I said in the previous post I don't do hoods but I did alot of research on it before I found the roof cleaning etc and decided that I could not afford to get into this business at this time as I will not borrow to start a business so I am not able to help you with the pricing except what I have learned in my research and asking restaurant managers in this area. You might want to talk to a few managers across the pond or those you don't service and see what they are being charged. Just tell them you are thinking of getting into the hood cleaning business and just doing research and they will usually tell you. If you can be there at the end of breakfast you can usually catch the manager when it is not busy and the one making the decisions is there.

Congrats on the work you have done so far. I just couldn't see how you could afford insurance with those rates and eat after overhead. Sounds like you can take this to a full time business and have more home time. I hope you can and do.

Here is a link to a page discussing local market analysis hope this helps.
http://www.hoodcleaningschool.com/localmarketanalysis.htm
Another good site and good people is http://www.firemanllc.com

A couple of more links
http://www.firemancertified.com/dc_entrance.php Distance Learning and Certification
http://firemanllc.com/business.php Business potential.

Get trained on fire supression systems and increase your income potential also.

Good luck to you

KDC8686

Thanks for the input and links guys. I will deff keep you all up to date as things progress and if I decide to go full time. I will increase prices and will deff speak with both establishments I service as well as those that are not willing to change over regarding prices for hoods.

Josh Dodson

So I'm looking to get input on prices. keep in mind I'm a scraper.

Does this mean you use the scraping process exclusively? No form of washer right? Is Gen liability insurance cheaper if you a just a scraper? Do you use plastic sheeting for anything, or chemical degreasers? I think "just scraping" would keep your job costs lower, which would allow for better rates.

Alexy

You have to be close to starving at those prices. Get a good hot water set up and go to town. Like Roger said you have the hard part down just wrap and clean it and go make som emoney. you need to make at least 100 dollars a hour on all your jobs.

DJ Carroll

I tried my hand at hoods when i first started ... I had a 350 min and was grossing close to 250 an hour.... Down stream caustic, rinse and shine .... Easy work just messy and at night ...

so yes you are low on your price

KDC8686

I use degreaser and wipe all reachable areas by hand then put soaked rags on the the scraper extensions and wipe the rest of the duct down. For the fans I use a light mix of water and lye and it just looks great. I actually made new flyers today and took out any pricing and will just add $150.00 - $200.00 to my normal bid.
I will be making a bid over the weekend, since that is the only times I do the duct cleaning. It's a nice little greasy spoon with all American food. I'm going to shoot high.

Matt Bryan

Donating Member
So I'm looking to get input on prices. keep in mind I'm a scraper. I've been using the same prices for way too long I'm sure. I charge approx 120 for a straight 16 to 20' run, fan, shroud, and a 90 or what ever degree one turn is.Then I charge approx 65 for the hood. This usually takes about 5 to 4hrs of work, unless I didn't inspect as well as I should have..:rolleyes:

We still have a lot of scrape only jobs that are right around that price. If you don't have to set up plastic, and you arent paying for the extra materials, your prices on a scrape sound pretty fair and you should turn a profit.