• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

RS Med Brown / Deck

Adrian Carrier

Hey guys, I am looking into it. I have decided to tackle my Moms as trial run, no charge for her, she just buys the supplies. So I stripped her cedar deck today with f18, then put on some oxalic. Looks great, needs some repairs so my little bro will do that tomorrow. I had her pick up some Armstrong clark today, and I will stain tomorrow. I should probably start a new thread for this, but her front porch has some sort of deck paint on it, f18 didn't touch it. What will get this crap off so I can stain it?!

Not all decks present the same process. Sounds like your project is one that is on the high end of the PITA scale. They are not all like that. Each will have it's own set of unique charactaristics due to whatever species you are working with.

Obviously the more wood you restore, the more knowledge you gain each time. It is a craft and an art form in and of itself.
Some are basic trainers and some are exotic masterpieces.

Just don't be too zealous when it comes to pressure on wood, and learn your mixes and use PPE.

...... and don't forget to tip your bartenders and wait staff

Adrian Carrier

You won't get it off. Scrape, Prep with TSP and bleach, prime and recoat with a solid stain. Every woody has one of these decks in their portfolio. Since this is your mom's place and if you have more time than work, you can experiment. F-18 is not nearly strong enough. Get yourself some HD-80 and then boost that with butyl. Wear your protective gear as that mix will cause second and third degree burns within ten minutes of making skin contact. Also be prepared to do a ton of sanding.

Ken do you adjust your rates for this scenerio?

Ken Fenner

Ken do you adjust your rates for this scenerio?

Yes, Adrian. For applying a solid with primer there are 3 trips so upcharge is 50%. To strip an intact solid acrylic, I bid at $7 per s.f (that's all wood, nit just the floor. We could spend two days on the rails alone. The chem to remove paint (the one I use which is not caustic) costs $375 per pail.

Adrian Carrier

Adrian,

Don't worry about it. My brain was fried in the 70's and refried in the 90's. Why do you think we wound up in this wacky wood business? Hah! All in good fun.

That is the best laugh I have had all week. Really.

Stage 1 was graduating from doing resi driveways to mall flat work
Stage 2 has been realizing wood pays off in lost time or ( part time)
better than or equal to some of the more involved commercial projects which take a while to get paid. ( FOR ME ANYWAY ).

I would rather be in a customers backyard perfecting my (chosen) craft
and getting paid ( in alot of cases ) before during and after completion of project.

Not to mention, avoiding a large chunk of all the EPA CWA hoopla.
It stays on their property and I'm a rinse junkie.

Thanks for the laugh,
Go watch my weekend video and get me some hits, so everybody thinks I'm really popular and cool and I find a way to make money off this malarky.
You guys can send me a buck if you want.

Your friendly neighborhood internet "busker". ( Please use the Homeless guitarist' search button for that one)

Rick Petry

That is the best laugh I have had all week. Really.

Stage 1 was graduating from doing resi driveways to mall flat work
Stage 2 has been realizing wood pays off in lost time or ( part time)
better than or equal to some of the more involved commercial projects which take a while to get paid. ( FOR ME ANYWAY ).

I would rather be in a customers backyard perfecting my (chosen) craft
and getting paid ( in alot of cases ) before during and after completion of project.

Not to mention, avoiding a large chunk of all the EPA CWA hoopla.
It stays on their property and I'm a rinse junkie.

Thanks for the laugh, ...

Adrian,

Hah! You are another hoot. Coming into Orlando?

This could be fun. Old *arts thinking about living glory days. We're not washed up yet. Carlos, you have a fine bunch of wacko's on your hands!

Adrian Carrier

Yes, Adrian. For applying a solid with primer there are 3 trips so upcharge is 50%. To strip an intact solid acrylic, I bid at $7 per s.f (that's all wood, nit just the floor. We could spend two days on the rails alone. The chem to remove paint (the one I use which is not caustic) costs $375 per pail.

I knew you had the unseen fires covered. That rate kind of makes one want a PITA.