• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Oil in Air Filter - Why Does This Happen ???

David Styles

UAMCC-Member
I routinely check my air filter and today's check showed that 1/3 of the filter seems to be full of oil. What causes this to happen and what can I do to prevent it? I have an 18 hp Vanguard built on hot water skid. Thanks for any maintenance tips.

Russ Johnson

UAMCC Associate Member
It's definitely coming out the breather. Vannys do that when the breather gets junk in it, when there's too much oil in the crankcase, when the carb has leaked and mixed gas with the oil (raises the level too high), and sometimes if there's an incomplete sealing of the crankcase (bad fill cap gasket, leaky valve cover, etc.

Check the oil first.

Brian Schrecengost

Contributing Member
I routinely check my air filter and today's check showed that 1/3 of the filter seems to be full of oil. What causes this to happen and what can I do to prevent it? I have an 18 hp Vanguard built on hot water skid. Thanks for any maintenance tips.

I totally had this happen to me a little while ago. Luckily, I have mechanics across the alley and we swap anything we need to each other. Back to the point. I put the wrong oil in it. Very small engines only can take sae 30. I put 5w30 in it.

If that isnt it your valves may be sticking open.

RMedbery

Its been my experince that out of all engines, small engines care the least about what kind of oil is in them. I use the oil that I drain out of my car for oil changes in my small engines.

Alexy

Clean it out make sure you have the correct level of oil in the machine. Put a new filter in it run the machine till it warms up and stop it. If you see oil in the filter again on a cold start up you have a oil seal problem in the combustion chamber ( broken ring or scored piston side wall) allowing oil to blow by and behind the piston where the crankcase breather is picking it up and sending it back to the engine air cleaner..

Larry Hinckley

It's definitely coming out the breather. Vannys do that when the breather gets junk in it, when there's too much oil in the crankcase, when the carb has leaked and mixed gas with the oil (raises the level too high), and sometimes if there's an incomplete sealing of the crankcase (bad fill cap gasket, leaky valve cover, etc.

Check the oil first.

Russ nailed it. The only thing I might add would be a loose or missing dipstick or a bad seal on the dipstick.