• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Cool Deck Cleaning and Staining

Ken Fenner

I have never done a second day 2nd coat, always have been afraid to. Doesnt the dried stain repell the second coat and keeps it to the surace?

On your same day second coats... Do you apply a light first coat and then apply a heavier second coat or vice versa? how long do you usually wait in between coats?

I have allways battled shiners. Wondering if I am missing something. Maybe I do need to put the wood resto breakout session on my priorities at the convention.

Florin, it depends upon the product. Baker's does not have any issues with shininess. I still wouldn't recommend a second day recoat but in this instance, rain ruined the finish and prevented it from curing the same amount it would have in that time period. I tested many spots by painting out a fairly heavy coat and within ten minutes all evidence was gone and those areas were dry.

Procedure wise on our decks.. first coat is sprayed down and id light. That's the first thing that is done on a deck. Then all rails, spindles etc are done. Here's another pic to show that process.

applying_stain.jpg

Florin Nutu

Florin, it depends upon the product. Baker's does not have any issues with shininess. I still wouldn't recommend a second day recoat but in this instance, rain ruined the finish and prevented it from curing the same amount it would have in that time period. I tested many spots by painting out a fairly heavy coat and within ten minutes all evidence was gone and those areas were dry.

Procedure wise on our decks.. first coat is sprayed down and id light. That's the first thing that is done on a deck. Then all rails, spindles etc are done. Here's another pic to show that process.

applying_stain.jpg
Thanks Ken. I will definately try that. My method has always been to do the rails first and had turps under the rails so as to not drip or overspray and have it dry before im ready for the floor. Then I would do the floor with one coat, pack the truck up with all supplies except what I needed for the second coat and then applied the second coat.
Your way definately sounds like more sense and should cut my time down.

Also been meaning to get that truck brush you use.

Ken Fenner

Florin, another advantage to having that first coat down is that you avoid dry lines when applying in direct sun. If you notice in the picture above, he is stopping mid board to finish the deck horizontally. In direct sun and on a hot untreated deck, that would be very risky and could leave lap lines.

Those truck brushes will beat any stainer or pad out there. They get down between the boards. Beth of TGS and See Dirt Run recently switched over and sent me a pm saying they loved it.

plainpainter

Good thing for the rest of us that Ken was a failure as a fleet washing contractor - and the idea of staining with his idle and dusty truck brushes came to him. J/K Fenner.

Ryan Freidline

I have never seen a deck with glass panels like that, before. Looks cool. I would not have enjoyed that project, at all....Really need the man power, and trust them....Great Job!:yes: