• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Cool Deck Cleaning and Staining

Ken Fenner

Posted this on TGS too.

This was one of the more complex jobs this year so I was on the jobsite. Height, acyrylic stains, multi level, glass inserts, steps, benches, lots of sanding and brush work.. this one had it all.

McNamara-1.jpg

moldy_toward_gazebo.jpg

100_1104.jpg

Preparing to get 'er clean.

prep_for_clean.jpg

Testing out the new invisible harness from SafeTech. I dare you to find it!

sanding-3.jpg

The first coat is down on the floor. Porch, 3rd story deck, gazebo and rails are done. Pierre cuts in under the rail system.

gazebo_from_deck.jpg

p.jpg

A couple close-ups of the gazebo. We used a lighter color inside to accentuate the beauty of the cedar shingles.

gazebo_closeup.jpg

replacing_fan-1.jpg

The second coat goes down on the floor.

prep_2nd_coat-1.jpg

The after-shots of the whole deck and porch did not come out because of the sun. Here is the only one I could salvage along with some better shots of the way the color turned out. Beautiful if I do say so myself.

whole_finished_sun.jpg

closeup_below.jpg

Ken Fenner

Thanks. Its a great deck. Unique. That tree is perfectly straight up to its peak. Florin, We stained around and cleaned the glass at the end. PITA.

Terry Miller

Ken,
Very nice job. This is what seperates the men from the boy's. Having the ability to do volume with tough situations makes us different. I do enjoy a challenge. Great work.

Ken Fenner

Oh yeah - the work is nice too, Ken. But that goes without saying - all that glass looks like one major pita. But I guess a stain like bakers or A.C. would be cleanable if left less than 48 hours

Thanks, Dan. We got caught in a rain storm when cleaning them at the end of a day and even 24 hours later it was a pain. God Bless Windex (two full bottles used cleaning these panes)

Ken Fenner

Ken,
Very nice job. This is what seperates the men from the boy's. Having the ability to do volume with tough situations makes us different. I do enjoy a challenge. Great work.

Thank you, Terry. I'm not a big fan or larger projects like this because of the manpower needed to get them done quickly and the potential problems but its good to know I have enough experienced guys and the learned skillset to deal with them.

The Cleaning Doctor

Contributing Member
Thanks. Its a great deck. Unique. That tree is perfectly straight up to its peak. Florin, We stained around and cleaned the glass at the end. PITA.

You do have to be careful on glass because of what is considered MFG defects. If that glass has this defect it can cause scratches if you use a razor blade to remove the stains. Only happens on tempered glass.

I have had sucess getting stain off of vinyl siding from a previous application using Krud Kutter.

Was that Super Cedar?

Florin Nutu

Usually it is the first day of course. On this deck and with the rain, we had to come back to do the final floor coats.

I have never done a second day 2nd coat, always have been afraid to. Doesnt the dried stain repell the second coat and keeps it to the surace?

On your same day second coats... Do you apply a light first coat and then apply a heavier second coat or vice versa? how long do you usually wait in between coats?

I have allways battled shiners. Wondering if I am missing something. Maybe I do need to put the wood resto breakout session on my priorities at the convention.

Ken Fenner

You do have to be careful on glass because of what is considered MFG defects. If that glass has this defect it can cause scratches if you use a razor blade to remove the stains. Only happens on tempered glass.

I have had sucess getting stain off of vinyl siding from a previous application using Krud Kutter.

Was that Super Cedar?

Pat a 50/50 blend of SC and SC Dark.

I was very sketchy around the glass. I walked from guy to guy to make sure they were not causing damage. Its was all soft oil so the hardest part was getting rid of the streaks and making sure the oil was gone.

Krud Kutter rocks and is my go-to chemical for all that is spot removal.

Damaris Sutton

Ken,

We have been using Krud Kutter for so long we should have our company name tagged to its stock market ticker. It is a really good product. One dip hole that worked for my Grandpa forgot to cover some antiques when he was painting a room and it was covered with sprinkles. Even the fabrics, but with the door shut, locked and someone manning it, we cleaned it quickly and safely.

The job looks awesome. I love the jobs that have 5 star difficulty because they are going to be charged fot exactly that, but the high risk also brings high rewards when completed.