• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Hydro Blasting

Jim Cooney

Anyone have any experience with Hydro Blasting ?

I have the opportunity to bid a large project, water treatment plant. Involves the interior of a 8' in diameter pipe, several thousand feet. No hazardous material concerns, just a return discharge pipe that needs to be prepped before it is relined.

Specs require a 20,000 psi Hydro Blaster. I have found several sources to rent from, and they will provide training and support as part of the agreement.

Since I've never been on the business end of a 20,000 PSI, 24 GPM wand, I'd like to hear your experiences.

Working inside a 8' pipe is probably as low on the totem pole as it gets for pressure washing, especially here in Arizona with the heat. Access holes are located every 100' at the top of the above ground pipe.

As always, your input is much appreciated.

Jeff LeCours

All I remember is seeing a video out on the BB's where some guy got killed using one incorrectly, it was some kind of safety vid, but a true story. Thats sure something I would want to work with an expereinced company that does that

Good luck

welder

Hydro blasting, hmm,I saw it done once a few years ago. Those guys had a machine like a mini skid steer, remotely operated. All hydraulic. If i remember right, ceramic nozzles and such. It seemed like a expensive operation.

Government job that size equals prevailing wage. bid carefully, don't get caught on the backside when asked for prevailing wage reports.

Will your wc cover that type of equipment operation. usually the guy running the machine is a operator at least familiar with hydraulic controls.

Where is the power plant going to be? The one I saw was a self contained unit. diesel powered. Yours would have to be a remote power unit.

ventilation, don't forget about it. 100 ft between access points could mean stagnant air or no airflow at all.

I would say know when to hold em and know when to fold em. know when to walk away, know when to RUN. Totally different aspect of cleaning. I would bet that at several thousand feet. it boils down to a several hundred thousand dollar job.

Jim Cooney

Hydro blasting, hmm,I saw it done once a few years ago. Those guys had a machine like a mini skid steer, remotely operated. All hydraulic. If i remember right, ceramic nozzles and such. It seemed like a expensive operation.

Government job that size equals prevailing wage. bid carefully, don't get caught on the backside when asked for prevailing wage reports.

Will your wc cover that type of equipment operation. usually the guy running the machine is a operator at least familiar with hydraulic controls.

Where is the power plant going to be? The one I saw was a self contained unit. diesel powered. Yours would have to be a remote power unit.

ventilation, don't forget about it. 100 ft between access points could mean stagnant air or no airflow at all.

I would say know when to hold em and know when to fold em. know when to walk away, know when to RUN. Totally different aspect of cleaning. I would bet that at several thousand feet. it boils down to a several hundred thousand dollar job.

Thanks for the reply, and you raise some very good points. Ventilation equipment and confined space permits would be required. Since the condition of the surface on the pipe is unknown, the bid would be done at a time and material basis, hourly rates on all the equipment, employees, etc.

Workmans Comp is good, still waiting to hear back from Joe Walters regarding if my current coverage will cover 20,000 PSI.

I've owned an excavation company for 20+ years and woorked around heavy equipment for 30+ years, so operating the equipment will not be an issue for me. Both of the rental sources I have contacted will provide complete training and support.

The power plant is trailer mounted, and will be outside the pipe.

I also agree with your opinion (know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em). That's why I'm exploring all my options and asking for the feedback.

If work wasn't so slow these days, I wouldn't even entertain a project like this. Flatwork is my specialty, but all of my commercial PM's budgets are at zero. Vacancy rates here in the Phoenix area average 50%.

Thanks again for the feedback. Much appreciated.

Jim Cooney

Yes, very familar with the headache of doing government work. But since I would be working as a sub contractor, that lessens the burder some.

Eric Flynn

Give me a call sometime I can hook you up with some guy's that do this every day. Harvey Wingate is one of them. He is a really great guy and I'm sure he will be more than glad to help you out.

Eric

William Davis

Sure have...
Used a 10K PSI BLASTER daily and another unit called the ADMAC (if I remember correctly) which is a 30K+ reactionless system - cool but boring. Just be sure to have proper footing and the main thing is technique. I weighed about 120lbs back then, but was blasting in-take structures, Rx cavity floors, etc. in below zero to 120+ degree heat with the big boys. How you hold the gun is 90% of the battle. I still use those techniques today with my 4k washer - which allows me to do most jobs non-stop. When you get tired STOP!!! I can't count how many times guys would wind up on their backs trying to play hero.

Intake structures which is what is sounds like you will be doing is a very nasty job to say the least. You will most likely not need any pressure over 10K except to blast off pock marks (barnacle spots). Another thing to be wary of, is if you will have a crew going in before you to do the major clean up. This involves, mud, debris, dead things etc. We bid on a contract and did not stipulate this. We shoveled, bucketed, and scraped for almost 2 weeks before we shot water. Did I say that this job is nasty - LOL.

Anyway it will def be a life experience and if you like muck, quite rewarding. Oh the good ole days!!!!

Good Luck

William Davis

Thank you for asking.

She is doing VERY well. But Mom and Dad are dealing with one greedy and expensive eater. GEEZ, have you priced formula lately? To top it off she can only drink a certain brand and type of formula which just happens to be at the top of the food chain and never goes on sale. Heck Ribeyes are cheaper!!!!

Doug Rucker

UAMCC Board of Directors
Yeah...whenever anybody had a baby shower we always just requested diapers and formula...they seem to go hand in hand and never have enough.