• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Vertical or horizontal burner

Trey Smith

the only differance I know of is that vertical burners are open on top so rain gets in and causes excess wear and rust. But a 15 dollar chimney topper will fix that.

Chad Johnson

the only differance I know of is that vertical burners are open on top so rain gets in and causes excess wear and rust. But a 15 dollar chimney topper will fix that.

Thank you.
I was wondering if there might have been a difference in performance, fuel economy, life of burner, etc.

45 views and I guess your the only one running hot water?:rolleyes:

Randall Brooks

I'm in the horizontal camp due to everything being contained in the cylinder with the heat. (heats up faster and more efficient I'd say) But like said call Bob or Pete or Paul.

Eric Flynn

I've got both, and the vertical seems to work better for me. The vert. is a steel eagle and I think it's an unfair fight against my horizontal tuff unit.

Eric

Trey Smith

the only reason that i dont think theres much difference in the effience is in a vertical unit there is a plate welded over the end of the coil that keeps the heat contained longer in the cylinder. Same basic princible as a horizanal with its end cap. both my hots are vertical. But still Paul at e-spec or Bob at Pressure tek could tell you for sure.

Ps Dont judge on my spelling

John Orr

UAMCC Treasurer
I've had both. If I recall, vertical burners are usually 12 volt DC and the horizontals are 120 volt AC, so you can run a 12 volt with a direct drive pump (no belts) while the 120 volt needs a generator (belt).

Aside from that, both performed fine, though a cover for the vertical burner (I used a pie plate with a hinge) will keep the base from rusting-out.

Paul Kassander

UAMCC Associate Member
Vertical burners are said to be more efficient than horizontal burners due to the equal dispersion of the heat across the coils and the way the heat rises it is supposed to give a better heat transfer rate. (as the engineers have told me)

Vertical:
smaller footprint
easy to vent with standard pipes
More efficient

Horizontal:
shorter height
easy stand up access to burner assembly
Little or no chance of flooding out the burner assembly

Really and truly what it comes down to is personal preference. There is not a substantial difference between the two that you will necessarily notice. I have run both for years and they have served me equally as well. I would make my decision base on application and quality of the manufacture more than anything else.