• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Hydrant use

Jim Cooney

Maybe I am missing something here but I am having a hard time seeing or believing that chemicals are such a 'threat" if one is just putting water from a hydrant into a poly tank!

The local water municipalities do not want anything (dirt, debris, chemicals, etc) back-flowing back into the domestic water lines. Imagine a water truck driver, filling off the same meter/hydrants all day long. Keeps dropping the fill hose and cam lock down into the muddy puddle he's created. Muddy water back flushed into the domestic water system.

I agree, just filling a PW supply tank really creates no conflicts, but the water companies need to cover their a*#.

Carlos Gonzales

The local water municipalities do not want anything (dirt, debris, chemicals, etc) back-flowing back into the domestic water lines. Imagine a water truck driver, filling off the same meter/hydrants all day long. Keeps dropping the fill hose and cam lock down into the muddy puddle he's created. Muddy water back flushed into the domestic water system.

I agree, just filling a PW supply tank really creates no conflicts, but the water companies need to cover their a*#.

Your right...I never thought about the water trucks and stuff...I was just focusing in on just our industry . . LOL.

Florin Nutu

Hit the jackpot and got 500' of hydrant hose for free. Networking at its best. Used it today. It was freakin awesome how fast I got this building done. Aloted 2 days and got it done in 6 hrs today.

Now if I can convince homeowners to let me use my hose on housewashes:biggrin:

Attachments

• FIRE HOSE WASH.jpg
    FIRE HOSE WASH.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 500' HOSE.jpg
    500' HOSE.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 37
We use a 1.5 inch hose from the water supply ( fire Hydrant) to rinse our garages that we clean. We are talking 80 GPM's at 100 PSI or as high as 120 PSI.

Snaptite hose is the best. Used by most fire Dept's here in California.

Brass attachments can be VERY expensive. Some as high as a few hundred dollars, others as low as $30.

I always go to a fire Hose supplier. They are not easy to find. Here in N. CALIF. I know of 2.

Snaptite hose we use is their best. Lasts for years. Cost about $6 per ft. with fire thread ends attached and takes 3 months for delivery. We order 850 ft at a time.

Last edited:

Florin Nutu

I'm not sure what brand these hoses are. They are 1.5" hose with the brass fittings. Each are 100' long and have a plastic nozzle. Blew one nozzle though.

Great investment.

John Tornabene

Member Guest
Hey Jim,
I know I read about your burners and the amount of heat they can produce where I think you stated that they can be as high as 300 Degree's at the end of the hose...How many GPM's do your Powerwashers produce and also how many CFM does your vacuum's produce???

Douglas Hicks

Maybe I am missing something here but I am having a hard time seeing or believing that chemicals are such a 'threat" if one is just putting water from a hydrant into a poly tank!

Carlos, I expect your poly tanks are cleaner than the FD pumper truck tanks are. In my firefighting service, we never cleaned or disinfected the tanks. And I was not aware that fire hydrants had back-flow preventers installed. Back flows are to be serviced and tested yearly. Besides, those back flow preventers affect the water supply,limiting pressure and flow. When I jumped off the tailboard and pulled hose, I did not want anything reducing the flow of my hose.

Jim Cooney

Hey Jim,
I know I read about your burners and the amount of heat they can produce where I think you stated that they can be as high as 300 Degree's at the end of the hose...How many GPM's do your Powerwashers produce and also how many CFM does your vacuum's produce???

John,

If you go on Jim's website he has all the comparison stats for his custom made monster rig compared to the average pre built skids most use.

I've seen his rig in action. One word for it....awesome !!!!

http://garagecleaning.net/default.aspx

John Doherty

Grainger has the converters too.

When I was a kid a Hydro-seed company illegally hooked to a hydrant and flowed seed and fert and crap into the water supply.

I have a complex next week the township wants a $200.00 permit fee plus the water usage, non-refundable!

Florin Nutu

Grainger has the converters too.

When I was a kid a Hydro-seed company illegally hooked to a hydrant and flowed seed and fert and crap into the water supply.

I have a complex next week the township wants a $200.00 permit fee plus the water usage, non-refundable!

Mine was $1200 deposit and $50 per month and water usage. Well worth the money for the speed which in turn meant less labor costs.

Chris Tharpe

Just setup a hydrant hookup the other night after not having water at a new property. A local hose shop sells the fittings for 15.00 and I got the cloth hose for 2.00 a ft with the correct ends on it. The nice thing is that the threads off of the hydrant adapter are 2'npt and pvc hooks up nicely if you need to shim it down to 3/4 for garden hose supply lines.