• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Wood That You Just Would Not Stain

Carlos Gonzales

Is there a type of wood that just has so much natural beauty in it that you just would not stain? Please post pics if you have them...Thanks Wood Masters!!

Ken Fenner

What's with the woodie questions? LOL.

There are some species that are not good candidates for sealing but for me personally, none of those reasons are because the wood is too pretty in its natural state. New pressure treated wood doesn't get any type of penetration. Ipe and other hardwoods are also maintenance intensive and won't hold sealer/stain. I still do them but the results over the long haul are never all that great.

Rick Petry

Carlos,

Olive wood, see the first picture. Of course, not much olive is used in the US, but maybe in areas of Italy or Greece.

Trex, see second picture. Of course, only half wood and pulp at that. But not what the composite manufacturers want consumers to believe.

Attachments

• img_0430web.jpg
    img_0430web.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 49
  • dscf0026web.jpg
    dscf0026web.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 49

Carlos Gonzales

Carlos,

Olive wood, see the first picture. Of course, not much olive is used in the US, but maybe in areas of Italy or Greece.

Trex, see second picture. Of course, only half wood and pulp at that. But not what the composite manufacturers want consumers to believe.

That Olive Wood looks beautiful!!!

Ken Fenner

Is that a camera trick? They make blue composite?

I guess if I ever came across deck with burled wood, I would not stain it.

James Foley

All wood turns grey from Sun exposure. Ipe looks great after cleaning ( white-ish) and I have a few tricks to make it have some color for a while.

Rick Petry

Is that a camera trick? They make blue composite?

I guess if I ever came across deck with burled wood, I would not stain it.

Ken,

The olive is actually a small piece my wife brought back from Italy. Beautiful wood and hard as nails. Would probably cost a small fortune to build a deck with the wood.

That picture does have a blue tone, the Trex was actually white/gray in color. Must be the lighting. Balustrade is cedar.

Attachments

• dscf0014web.jpg
    dscf0014web.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 36

topcoat

Contributing Member
Its a very subjective thing. 15 years ago I never wanted to paint cedar. We do it all the time. And mahogany. Its a shame. As a wood lover, I would rather see clear penetrating oil in these species than anything. Same with cypress. Ultimately, if you are a woodie for long enough, you get to do some things you would rather not. If its up to me, though, mahogany is pretty bomber with no pigment. While we have painted alot of it, I dont think we have stained it, and I would struggle with that.

Rick Petry

... Ultimately, if you are a woodie for long enough, you get to do some things you would rather not. ...

Scott,

I disagree. Once established in the wood restoration business, many only do what they want, what they know is best for the long term. Smart customers hire us not because we know how to clean, strip, and stain wood. They pay us for our expertise.

topcoat

Contributing Member
Scott,

I disagree. Once established in the wood restoration business, many only do what they want, what they know is best for the long term. Smart customers hire us not because we know how to clean, strip, and stain wood. They pay us for our expertise.

Rick

Perhaps I didnt explain well enough. The situations I am referring to are more in new construction finishing than wood restoration. In other words, very often on a high end house that has an exterior that is paint grade, the spec for trim species will be mahogany. It is the best option of life cycle and it does prime and paint well. So, even though I love the look of oiled mahogany, there is no way its going to fly on a six million dollar home sitting against painted siding. We get our appetite for natural filled by the decks, thresholds and doors in many cases.

I dont consider it selling out. I consider it agreeing that the proper species and coatings are being used for a high end paint grade new home. Wood restoration is a bird of a very different feather. I am fortunate to dabble in both. I am established in my local market for wood restoration. I do more with cedar, both new and resto, than any other painter in my area. And, believe me, I do what is best for the long term, in new construction and in wood restoration. Sorry I didnt explain this more carefully in my initial post.

Rick Petry

Rick, whatever became of that project we discussed?

Ken,

We sanded the ipe' yesterday afternoon and went up first thing this morning. As has been too usual this season, it started to rain, putting the kibosh on oiling the ipe'.

Second pic shows the 80+ yr. old cedar siding with a test of RS clear applied yesterday. No cleaning or acids, just non-pigmented baby oil into the wood. Soaked it up like a sponge. This morning, it had "lightened" up considerably, but I think it will take at least a month to settle in to true color.

The story is this. The owner has spent a veritable fortune building this structure. Its old, yet new. He has the resources, money is not a problem.

The real problem is that this very old, Amish country barn cedar siding was installed while the moisture content of the wood was too wet. The GC routed the cedar to T&G, installed, and now it has shrunk to the point of the tongue pulling away from the groove, especially on the "sunny" side which is the front of the house.

I can get probably a gal. of RS per 75 sq. ft. into this old cedar, and that will be great conditioning for the wood. It will "swell" or expand the cedar a little bit, but nowhere near 1/4 to 1/2 inch needed to tighten the siding. So, the ball is in his court. Oiling the structure, if he wants it, will probably wait until the spring.

Attachments

• overall_before.jpg
    overall_before.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 20
  • RSclear_cedar siding.jpg
    RSclear_cedar siding.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 23

Rick Petry

Rick

Perhaps I didnt explain well enough. The situations I am referring to are more in new construction finishing than wood restoration. ...

Scott,

My apologies. One becomes a bit myopic in their specialty, and I am very guilty of that. Odd, I can stain exterior wood all season, but ask me to paint and I pass! Hope to meet you in Orlando.

topcoat

Contributing Member
Scott,

My apologies. One becomes a bit myopic in their specialty, and I am very guilty of that. Odd, I can stain exterior wood all season, but ask me to paint and I pass! Hope to meet you in Orlando.

I hear you Rick. A few years ago I found myself specializing in interior wood staining, and earning a bit of a hardcore following in it. Whenever that happens it scares me. My grandfather used to say that if you specialize, the goal is to learn more and more about less and less, so that eventually you know everything about nothing. My condition is more one of knowing next to nothing about just a few things.

I wish I could make it to Orlando. I have a couple of other trips happening in Oct and Nov that involve flying, which preclude me from journeying to Orlando. Hate to miss it.

Rick Petry

... My grandfather used to say that if you specialize, the goal is to learn more and more about less and less, so that eventually you know everything about nothing. My condition is more one of knowing next to nothing about just a few things. ...

Scott,

Your grandfather was a wise man. Wish I could be so adept. We did an ipe'/cedar job a few weeks ago in a small, out of the way newer development of, as a guesstimate, $1.2 mil. stucco homes.

Many of these McMansions are covered with green mold/mildew, especially on the north side and in shaded areas. These homes are literally screaming, "Clean Me!".

If I was younger, smarter, and just after the bottom line, I'd grab this prime house washing market in a heartbeat.

Who knows, maybe I'll learn something in Orlando to change my ways. Sorry you cannot make it, I'd like to meet you.