• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Pump gurus?

Florin Nutu

I 98% installed my new pump. Just need to get a belt and put it on.

After I did that I decided to take my expensive 12gpm pump apart to see what the hell happened to it. When I gave Bob the symptoms of my pump I told him that the main shaft wes tweeked over to one side. I thought this was the case because the belt was tweeked over when it touched the pump pulley. When I was taking the pump off I realized that the whole pump was shifted because some bolts were loose and not the shaft. Well after I took the back of the pump off I found one of the bearings in pieces inside the pump. The main shaft looked intact. I spun it and the pistons seemed to move. Is there a possibility that this pump is not a complete gonner? Is there something else I should check before buying a bearing?

I'll be calling Bob on Monday but hoping to get an answer before then so that my mind doesn't ponder over it all weekend.

Greg Nash

You could of lucked out if it's just a broke bearing their not to hard to put in. Make sure none of the plunger shafts are bent and the plungers aren't cracked. also check the case for cracks.

I took my pump into get some service I was losing water volume. looked at the plungers said there hole in one and big scrach in another one. Are the plungers costly to replace I have cat pump donnot know the numbers other then 3000psi at 4gpm.

MarieMwa

I took my pump into get some service I was losing water volume. looked at the plungers said there hole in one and big scrach in another one. Are the plungers costly to replace I have cat pump donnot know the numbers other then 3000psi at 4gpm.

Plungers are costly to replace. They are typically made of ceramic and are fragile and expensive. Not to mention replacement parts for Cat Pumps tend to be priced higher than other brands. You will need a model number for your pump to get an exact price. Typically they are worth replacing though, depending on the age and overall condition of the pump.

Brian Wendling

I have done a lot of them and they are not to expensive and very easy to replace just do not tighten them to much when screwing them back on.

Brian Wendling

A new 300 4 gal. pump cost that much. All you do is unscrew it and it comes off or breaks off and a long screw with some washers hold it together. I would like to get a picture of one(maybe I have 1 in my shop and will take a picture tomorrow) if someone can to show if we are talking about the same thing.

MarieMwa

A new 300 4 gal. pump cost that much. All you do is unscrew it and it comes off or breaks off and a long screw with some washers hold it together. I would like to get a picture of one(maybe I have 1 in my shop and will take a picture tomorrow) if someone can to show if we are talking about the same thing.

The biggest difference is going to be brands. Cat is a more expensive brand all around. There are cheaper brands out there that perform well, it's all about personal preference.

RMedbery

Ive been running a cat pump for over a year now, no hot seal kit. I run HOT water through it on every job. A few locations dont have water heaters they have boilers......VERT HOT water. I had to take the thermal relief valve off of it because it would blow in seconds. That pump hasent missed a lick. IMO you cant beat a cat pump. In contrast I had a general pump that I accidentally ran hot water through once (outside spigot was hot). From that point forward it had a hard time building pressure.

I like cat pump but when you have to replace the plunger you are told that the plunger alone is over 200 you have to replace 2 of them cuts in to my walet deep. I donnot do hot water mostly cold all the way. other problem is that I had to take my pump to retailer that deals with pumps I would not know were to start to rebuild it.
Shop said they have an AR pump for 400 but that does not include labor but need to find out how much the guy has done. Does any one own of video or book on how to repair you PW.

MarieMwa

To replace your pump should not require a lot labor but that depends on the unit. If they are using a direct replacement for the pump you have or if they have to do any modification to get the new pump to fit are all things you'll want to know and will obviously affect labor charge.
Repairing a pressure washer requires understanding of how the unit works and knowing what looks normal and what looks out of place. There used to be a great comprehensive book available, I have one in my shop but have been unable to find more copies. It really boils down to understanding what does what on the machine.