• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Where is this going?

Nick Campanale

Hey guy's, I have tremendous respect for some of the veteran pro's on this board. My question is, some of these BOD that were picked to lead the way are fairly new to the game, and some dont even do this full time.

How is it that the guy's that have been at this for over 10 years + dont get elected to lead an industry of mostly newbies? Mobile Contract Cleaning in itself is a fairly new profession maybe 15 or 20 years old at the most. Not only that but there are guy's on the Board that have never been out of their own city and have no clue as to the logistics involved with this type of work.

I am not saying that state to state is the only type of cleaning that you guy's are involved in but when you start getting hooked up with companies that are looking for people to do national accounts, most contractors on these boards dont do that type of service. The thing that I feel will suffer here is that if a contractor has been doing buisness with a company for a long time, and he has pricing in with them that actually makes him money, then along comes this national big guy and say's I will clean them all.

Then they contact the Uamcc and cut a deal with the BOD to cover this work for them at their price, which normally is well below what most guys are charging, how is this helping the industry? I personally think that all this free info and sharing amongst all the boards has lead to a price decline. Just the lurkers alone that come thru these boards that pick up trade secrets and know how that we veterans have busted our ass to fiqure out the hard way.

This is not directed to no one in particular I am just trying to see how letting large companies in and setting the pricing on national accounts is ever going to be a good thing. They should be able to come in to a BB and search for a qualified contractor in an area that they need work done and ask for a bid for service, not come in and tell us what they will pay us to do a job that is already price fixed.

Newbies will always be drawn into this because $25.00 an hour sounds like good money, but add in the logistics to cleaning multiple locations and that money is starting to look like minimum wages. just my 2cents:confused:

Mathew Johnson

Hey Nick,

I hear what you are saying and I too have a great deal of respect for you and the other veteran cleaners on the BBS. I have an equal amount of respect for the newbies and part timers that are in the industry who share the same passion for the industry and self employment adventure.

I dont work for beer money, not do I plan to. I see the UAMCC as an opportunity to educate the members on what it takes to stay in business and to do quality work.

Do I share the same concerns that you have? I think what you are saying can happen, but this is where I am at. The organization is in its infancy... In the few short months since it started taking membership is has done pretty well in my opinion.

Do I expect a perfect org, not at all. As long as the BOD is listening to tme membership that elected them, I am willing to tolerate any BOD stumbles that occur along the way. I looked at the experience level of the BOD candidates and suspected that there would be a balance of experience elected. There was.

On top of all of this, I am more interested and seeing the oversight committee that is put in place. These individuals will be place to monitor the activities of the BOD. I honestly feel that as long as the BOD actions are in the best interest of the contractor majority and carry out the vision of the TT Team, The issues will play out and the org will succeed.

There are many contractor members not on the BOD that will call foul if the decisions, actions or decisions warrant it.

As far as part time / verses full time. It doesn't matter to me. We work from March 1st through Thanksgiving and make a decent living... I guess that would make me a part timer. If I enjoyed washing in the snow, trust me, I would be out there. We spend the downtime marketing for the following was season.

I am willing to give them some latitude. If people (and myself) like what they see, it will be a no brainer writing the 2010 membership dues check.

Just my .02 cents

Matt

David Vicars

Nick and Matt, great post.

I think we have a good mix with the BOD. The service companies are something the board will have to deal with from the beginning.

As far as veterans, I would of liked for you to join and run for a BOD.
I have great respect for you and value your opinion. I will volunteer for the oversight committee.

I think the new BOD will do a great job and lead us with the industry as a whole as their main concern.

Mathew Johnson

Nick and Matt, great post.

I think we have a good mix with the BOD. The service companies are something the board will have to deal with from the beginning.

As far as veterans, I would of liked for you to join and run for a BOD.
I have great respect for you and value your opinion. I will volunteer for the oversight committee.

I think the new BOD will do a great job and lead us with the industry as a whole as their main concern.

I agree David.

I too would also be honored to serve and volunteer on the oversight committee

RMedbery

Your post has many parts and IMO have nothing to do with each other.

In the business world companies board of directors have little to NO experience in the field of the company they are sitting on the board of.

Your comment on the free dissemination of information I think is true. Ive personally seen this practice just about bring a company to its knees.

Jeff LeCours

Nick as for the election, thats what it was. The membership that chose to vote did. This is our first election in an org thats only 6 1/2 months old. As the Transistion Team there were questions about us. As long as the BOD works toward the betterment of the Org and the industry and takes advise from many and listens. I think we will stay on the right track. I wish Both Lonnie & Les got elected, but there wasnt the votes there for them.

As for national accounts after the Jack In the Box account and using and passing on the JITB lead to a service company, we have as POLICY put on HOLD stopped taking on Service Companies. Many like and work for service companies and some Hate them as was stated in the uproar a couple months ago. We as the Transition Team and some that were BOD elects decided to NO longer just pass these LARGE National accounts on to service companies, for now we aren't taking any service companies on as members either, we actually turned 1 or 2 down in the past couple months. Is that the final say on this? No, there will be discussions in the future

The BOD never did and NEVER will be a service company, we the UAMCC are not going to ever Cover the price. We are NOT going to negotiate prices AT ALL, its not the job of the UAMCC

Nick the service company issue is a tough one. I would imagine there are good ones with good rates and there are bad ones. You know yourself because you worked for one or some. We take them in maybe a contractor benefits, but maybe many dont. WE ARE AIRING ON THE SIDE OF CAUTION and not going to go down that road. So we are not endorsing any with a membership to the UAMCC

What are our thoughts on these big National Service Companies? Neutral right now, but we aren't letting any more on

What our plans are starting around the end of the year is to build PHASE TWO of our website and list all member contractors, have a contractor listing on the website and when ANYONE calls the UAMCC we direct them to the WEBSITE
If the biggest fast food company in the WORLD calls today and says they want to hire ONE company a service company to handle 10,000 fast food joints we are ONLY going to direct them to our contractors website directory listing

All on the Transition Team and some of the BOD elect on a call decided much more research and thought needs to go into this whole thing, so like I said we put it on hold

We talked about educating Service Companies to try to explain to them lowballing and lowering prices is good for NO ONE

I think we made the right decision on putting it all on hold and taking a stand possibly in the future to educate them, they may not want to be educated by us the UAMCC or anyone, they some may continue to go the extreme lowball route we can't do anything now about that

I think and I would hope and I actually think the future BOD may feel the best way to handle that next National call, is to direct to our contractors and let them make the choice

some may say the JITB thing was a mistake, I say, ya it may of been but we learn from our experiences and that helps guide your thoughts in the future.

So basically Nick, the UAMCC is on the same page as you and others, Direct the Big Companies to our directory and that's it

As for new BOD, I say these contractors chose to go to be elected and volunteer their time, all I can say about that is Thank you and always try to do the right thing. Its tough being a volunteer in any national org, its WORK and no matter what you can't make everyone happy

Hope I explained it alright, another darn long JL post

Hey if you can get away, next Saturday, Lisa & I would like to hang, I know you said your probably busy, but if you aren't call me and we will party like rock stars LOL

Ken Fenner

Good reading. Some well thought out posts. It is a young org. As a result of that, the scope of contractors experience and business model is limited. I don't sell anyone short. I came into this industry with 15+ years of corporate and business ownership. Even while working for a corporations and being responsible for multiple states sales management, I always owned a side business. If the time I started in this biz was now and I ran for the board, I may look like a newbie but I would be qualified to sit in a chair. Pressure washing itself is not rocket science, the business side of it is where companies are made or broken.

These were the gentlemen that stepped forward to be BOD members. I stand up loudly and commend each one of them. This is no small task they have taken on. Its a demanding position with no pay and many sitting on the sideline waiting to take them apart. God forbid they make a worng decision or two and some will be ready to check into their personal backgrounds to start a smear campaign. It takes cajones to step up and lead.. and I don't mean lead from behind a computer screen like some may think they are doing.

There is a general business plan, there will be the oversight committee and there is currently an executive director in place currently that without whom, this org would not exist. Things will be fine. To you, Nick, and to other veterans with 10+ years I can only say.. watch the org.. join it.. help mold its future direction. I know you are an even keeled guy that is not swayed by antics. I hope you stay around and help us make this thing into what has been envisioned from day one.

Rick Petry

... These were the gentlemen that stepped forward to be BOD members. I stand up loudly and commend each one of them. This is no small task they have taken on. Its a demanding position with no pay and many sitting on the sideline waiting to take them apart. God forbid they make a worng decision or two and some will be ready to check into their personal backgrounds to start a smear campaign. It takes cajones to step up and lead.. and I don't mean lead from behind a computer screen like some may think they are doing. ...

Ken,

Well said. To the elected Board members, thank you for the fortitude and downright hard work you have willingly accepted.

Criticism and new ideas are certainly important, but only within an organized framework. Anything else is just small talk and noise. There are those that do and get things accomplished. There are those that don't, and rant.

Nick Campanale

Nick as for the election, thats what it was. The membership that chose to vote did. This is our first election in an org thats only 6 1/2 months old. As the Transistion Team there were questions about us. As long as the BOD works toward the betterment of the Org and the industry and takes advise from many and listens. I think we will stay on the right track. I wish Both Lonnie & Les got elected, but there wasnt the votes there for them.

As for national accounts after the Jack In the Box account and using and passing on the JITB lead to a service company, we have as POLICY put on HOLD stopped taking on Service Companies. Many like and work for service companies and some Hate them as was stated in the uproar a couple months ago. We as the Transition Team and some that were BOD elects decided to NO longer just pass these LARGE National accounts on to service companies, for now we aren't taking any service companies on as members either, we actually turned 1 or 2 down in the past couple months. Is that the final say on this? No, there will be discussions in the future

The BOD never did and NEVER will be a service company, we the UAMCC are not going to ever Cover the price. We are NOT going to negotiate prices AT ALL, its not the job of the UAMCC

Nick the service company issue is a tough one. I would imagine there are good ones with good rates and there are bad ones. You know yourself because you worked for one or some. We take them in maybe a contractor benefits, but maybe many dont. WE ARE AIRING ON THE SIDE OF CAUTION and not going to go down that road. So we are not endorsing any with a membership to the UAMCC

What are our thoughts on these big National Service Companies? Neutral right now, but we aren't letting any more on

What our plans are starting around the end of the year is to build PHASE TWO of our website and list all member contractors, have a contractor listing on the website and when ANYONE calls the UAMCC we direct them to the WEBSITE
If the biggest fast food company in the WORLD calls today and says they want to hire ONE company a service company to handle 10,000 fast food joints we are ONLY going to direct them to our contractors website directory listing

All on the Transition Team and some of the BOD elect on a call decided much more research and thought needs to go into this whole thing, so like I said we put it on hold

We talked about educating Service Companies to try to explain to them lowballing and lowering prices is good for NO ONE

I think we made the right decision on putting it all on hold and taking a stand possibly in the future to educate them, they may not want to be educated by us the UAMCC or anyone, they some may continue to go the extreme lowball route we can't do anything now about that

I think and I would hope and I actually think the future BOD may feel the best way to handle that next National call, is to direct to our contractors and let them make the choice

some may say the JITB thing was a mistake, I say, ya it may of been but we learn from our experiences and that helps guide your thoughts in the future.

So basically Nick, the UAMCC is on the same page as you and others, Direct the Big Companies to our directory and that's it

As for new BOD, I say these contractors chose to go to be elected and volunteer their time, all I can say about that is Thank you and always try to do the right thing. Its tough being a volunteer in any national org, its WORK and no matter what you can't make everyone happy

Hope I explained it alright, another darn long JL post

Hey if you can get away, next Saturday, Lisa & I would like to hang, I know you said your probably busy, but if you aren't call me and we will party like rock stars LOL

Hey all good answers also, I have respect for the newbies dont get me wrong we were all there!!I hope that all goes according to plan and all these org can get on the same page. That will only benifit the entire industry as a whole.

Perfect example of this org was me in a bind and calling out to one of your best members "Lonnie" thanks buddy and if you ever need me you have my number!! :coool:

Hey Jeff I dont know about Rock Stars but I will settle for Drunken Sailors!:yes: Doubt I can make it out but we will hook up soon.

I know that if this org takes on a positive path, we will all be walking it together....Damm that sounded good !! I'm a poet and didnt know it :coool:

Ken Fenner

Ken,

Well said. To the elected Board members, thank you for the fortitude and downright hard work you have willingly accepted.

Criticism and new ideas are certainly important, but only within an organized framework. Anything else is just small talk and noise. There are those that do and get things accomplished. There are those that don't, and rant.

And not to get into a Kodak moment of emotion.. right back at ya, Rick. Well said. I hope everyone in the industry that frequents these boards tries to remember there are human beings behind these screen names and list of BOD members. Looking forward to what 2010 has to offer. My friends on the TT already know and the future board will know.. You have my full support but not with bling allegiance. If the org goes in a funky direction, it will be business first and my big mouth will be open. Ask Carlos, I know I pushed his buttons a couple times. Its just who I am.

UAMCC, rock on!

Jeff LeCours

Hey all good answers also, I have respect for the newbies dont get me wrong we were all there!!I hope that all goes according to plan and all these org can get on the same page. That will only benifit the entire industry as a whole.

Perfect example of this org was me in a bind and calling out to one of your best members "Lonnie" thanks buddy and if you ever need me you have my number!! :coool:

Hey Jeff I dont know about Rock Stars but I will settle for Drunken Sailors!:yes: Doubt I can make it out but we will hook up soon.

I know that if this org takes on a positive path, we will all be walking it together....Damm that sounded good !! I'm a poet and didnt know it :coool:

Ya, your a poet for sure Nick:coool:

Carlos Gonzales

Nick - thanks for posting this thread. Good stuff. I am literally knee keep in convention stuff but am "in tune" with your questions...questions that are legit and right on. Thanks for posting it.

Yea...Lonnie is a diamond and I consider him a valuable individual to the UAMCC and the industry. He is a good man!

Keep the thoughts coming you all.

Nick Campanale

Ken,

There will always be criticism in any org, thats what makes things come together, as long as its constructive!! The talk and noise are one and the same as criticism. Try not to be so negative about nay sayers who are professionals in your own field, we all have our opinions and just because some don't & rant dosen't make them wrong, I beleive thats how problems are solved.

If any org is going to be successfull and effective its leadership will always put 1st things 1st , and management will always mean discipline, carrying it out!!

Mathew Johnson

Professional feedback from yeasayers and naysayers are integral to the advancement and success of the UAMCC.

What I have an issue with is feedback and criticism that attacks individuals and comments that are put out there to generate turmoil and discontent.

I have watched what has gone on around the industry and there are individuals that have a constant issue with the UAMCC on everything the leadership says or does. The BBS represents such a small percentage of the industry.

If the people out there making some of these comments are so anti-org or dont agree with the decisions and direction of the UAMCC, I wonder why they don't or haven't started their own Organizarion.... a real organization, one with bylaws, one with a clear business plan, one with tangible return for its membership.

I think the answer is pretty clear... It takes a lot of work, a lot of time and yes.... money. But more importantly, it takes a group of individuals with a fair amount of intelligence that can work together.

I have been down that road of "Org bashing and BBS debate" and of all the things I have accomplished since I started my business in 2003, that is the single thing I consider a huge mistake and would take back in a minute... In point.... nothing good came out of it - for me, for my company or for all of the others involved in it.

The one thing I did learn from looking back at that experience.... Be patient and give this TT and BOD a little breathing room. They dont even take office until January.... I will start worring about and looking at their progress in March.

John Orr

UAMCC Treasurer
... Its a demanding position with no pay ...

WHAT? No PAY! :eek: Now you tell me. But seriously, the main reason I decided to get involved with the UAMCC is because it represents my goals and vision for our industry. I don't profess to have all the answers, but even those that disagree with the direction our org takes show they care. As long as folks remain civil, dissenting opinions can be quite valuable. No one wants yes-men telling us how wonderful our new clothes are. The true test of the success of the UAMCC will be the renewal rate in the second and third year.

I look forward to meeting many of you in Orlando. IMHO, this is going to be one awesome event! (It will be a hard act to follow. gulp!

Lonnie Greenwood

Thank you Nick and Carlos for the kind words.

Even though I wasn't elected to the BOD, I still intend to give the organization all that I can. Since joining the UAMCC, I have met many good men and have alot of respect for them. It's been a pleasure getting to know you all and building not only a web of networking relationships, but friendships as well.

Damn, I shouldn't have drunk so much Crown Royal tonight...getting a little mushy on here. LOL

But I do mean what I said. Thank you for all the knowledge and friendship you have given to me.

My wife is telling me to go to bed so I can get rest....Nick tried to kill me the other night with all that work. LOL

We can't wait for the convention. It's going to rock. Hopefully we can get a nice little poker game running one night and drink some Crown.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Mathew Johnson

Thank you Nick and Carlos for the kind words.

Even though I wasn't elected to the BOD, I still intend to give the organization all that I can. Since joining the UAMCC, I have met many good men and have alot of respect for them. It's been a pleasure getting to know you all and building not only a web of networking relationships, but friendships as well.

Damn, I shouldn't have drunk so much Crown Royal tonight...getting a little mushy on here. LOL

But I do mean what I said. Thank you for all the knowledge and friendship you have given to me.

My wife is telling me to go to bed so I can get rest....Nick tried to kill me the other night with all that work. LOL

We can't wait for the convention. It's going to rock. Hopefully we can get a nice little poker game running one night and drink some Crown.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Bring some chips and cards.... there are some card players attending