• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Direct Drive Machines

Don M.

I have a 13 hp 5.6 machine I bought from Paul a couple of years ago and I love it. I've had the typiical stuff done to it (change belts once a year, a unloader, etc) but overall I am very pleased.

I am thinking about buying this next year just to become more efficent with houses and decks. But I know nothing about direct drives. Do they hold up well? Thanks

TNT1014H
13 HP HONDA
5.0 GPM @ 2,800 PSI
UP TO
10.0 GPM @ 1,400 PSI

5.0 GPM @ 1,400 PSI
EACH GUN

Homer

The machines you are referring to are not direct drive machines.

A direct drive pump is one that when directly coupled to the engine will rotate at the same speed as the engine. For example: if the engine RPM is 3400 then the pump is also turning at 3400 RPM. These a great pumps but are ideally suited for operators who will use them only a few times a week and for shorter runs.

Direct Drive pumps are always less expensive because they are small and considered more disposable than lower RPM pumps by the manufacturers. I have always tried to paint this picture with my customer. If I am a NASCAR driver - I want an engine that will run 'wide open' 100% of the time and will last at least until the end of the race. If I am a truck driver I want an engine that will not run wide open but will give me power and performance for many years to come.

Direct Drive, 3400 RPM pumps are for NASCAR drivers.

Gear Drive Pumps (the ones found on the TNT series) will allow the pump to turn at 1450 RPM will last for years and years. At this time about 90% of all the systems we build are Gear Drive when once, not to long ago, the preferred set-up was belt drive.

Hope to see you at the UAMCC Convention. We will have many of your machines there and can answer other questions you might have.

John Allison
EnviroSpec

John Orr

UAMCC Treasurer
I agree about gear drives. I replaced a 3500psi/4gpm direct drive pump with a gear drive that runs about 2600/5.5 a few years ago on my back-up machine. I gladly give-up the psi to get the gpms.

As for direct drives, if 4 gpm is enough (never is!) then a direct drive may make sense. As long as the oil is changed regularly and you don't leave it in bypass too long, and you're not trying to draw from a tank - then they may make sense. Since the engine runs at full speed, even with a belt or gear drive, the only issue is the pump. I've had AR's last for 2 years running almost every day before they needed a rebuild.