• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

I Need some help

Wesley Teston

Here are some shutters that were discolored during cleaning. Customer says our housewash streaked their shutters (this was on Friday). We have never had this happen in 9 years. I tell her I will be out on Monday to take a look. On Saturday she calls and says they applied new varnish to shutters hoping that would get rid of the discoloration but of coarse only made it worse.
When I got there yesterday, I asked what type stain is on shutters and she brings out a can of Minwax (interior use only). She then shows me the varnish they used, Toon-Brite?? It looks like you buy this stuff from a marine dealer but this is what the builder gave her to use. I take the shutters back to my shop and we use a brillo pad to remove some of the white haze but the shutters they applied new varnish on has covered this wtite haze.

What should I do?? I don't feel fully responsible for this but I do want to help them fix their shutters. Would you just strip this and start from scratch or sand(10 shutters in all)??? Or would you not put in anymore time????

Thanks,
Wesley

Attachments

• Shutter 1 (Small).jpg
    Shutter 1 (Small).jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 63
  • Shutter 2 (Small).jpg
    Shutter 2 (Small).jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 64

Tim Fields

Wesley,

Having already picked up the shutters from them, it seems unlikely that you could take them back without addressing the issue.

How about you contact them and suggest that the shutters appear to need stripped and refinished.

You'll be glad to take care of the stripping and return them so that they can refinsh them.

They have already shown to be the hands on type, so they should be happy with this offer. If not, then there is nothing that you can do.

The damage appears to be a result of a pre-exsisting condition and any effort on your part is simply a gesture of good will.

After they graciously accept your offer, run out and buy that soda blaster that you know you've always wanted.

Then start offering graffiti removal.

Wes,
Do yourself a huge favor and strip/sand them and restain/varnish.They almost appear to be cabinet grade wood and with the raised panel they will be a treat to get sanded correctly.
DO NOT power wash or soda blast.Getting them wet will cause the joints to fail.

If the varnish isn't wet or gummy still ;you may be able to skip the strip and just sand them to bare wood.Even better is find a local cabinet shop with a drum sander than will take them down with 80 grits then all you have to hand sand is the raised panel edge.

With minwax being used for the stain I'm fairly sure they were build by a cabinet shop.Maybe I should say build by a cabinet maker..who ever build them did quality work.

Chris Apple

Wes,
Do yourself a huge favor and strip/sand them and restain/varnish.They almost appear to be cabinet grade wood and with the raised panel they will be a treat to get sanded correctly.
DO NOT power wash or soda blast.Getting them wet will cause the joints to fail.

If the varnish isn't wet or gummy still ;you may be able to skip the strip and just sand them to bare wood.Even better is find a local cabinet shop with a drum sander than will take them down with 80 grits then all you have to hand sand is the raised panel edge.

With minwax being used for the stain I'm fairly sure they were build by a cabinet shop.Maybe I should say build by a cabinet maker..who ever build them did quality work.

It sounds like you know a little about wood.