Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Oxalic Acid

Default Oxalic Acid

What's your average dwell time using Oxalic Acid ? Has anyone experienced a problem if/when the Oxalic dry's before it is rinsed ?

I'm doing a 3000+ sq ft driveway later this week with some rust stains. Unlike others I have done in the past, the original sealer applied soon after the concrete was poured (maybe 5 years ago) is starting to fail. I'm hoping either the pressure and heat will remove the remaining sealer that is failing, or the Ox will assist.

As always, your feedback and suggestions are much appreciated.

Default Re: Oxalic Acid

I do not know if the ox. Will do anything to the sealer but we do not rinse the acid
    Lenny Schrecengost
    Lenny's Power Washing
    Toano, VA, east of Richmond
    757-810-1957

I usually apply the Oxalic acid then let dwell 10 minutes and rinse with the ball valve. Allows me to see if the rust stains have disappeared.

Not sure what, if any effect it will have on the failing sealer. I have already explained to the customer about the failing sealer, and have made no guarantees to the condition of the sealer once my scope of work has been completed. The HOA is only concerned with the rust stains.

Thanks for your input Lenny.

Not sure what your surrounding areas are but I did a drive with red sealer on and I just put strong s. hydroxide and heat and it took most off. Then applied ox to nutralize and in your case to remove rust.
    Florin Nutu
    ALL WASHED UP EXTERIOR CLEANING LLC
    206-380-4555

Seattle Roof Cleaning and Pressure Washing
    email--- allwashedupexterior@gmail.com

Rinse?? whats that?? After we clean the driveways, we pray down a light coat of ox and leave. I just tell the customer not to drive on it, or walk on it until it dries.
    Aqua Clean Pressure Washing

Houston Pressure Washing Houston Roof Cleaning

713-825-8895

John Aljaz

Well, just as I suspected, the job turned into a disaster. Got the rust out after several applications of Oxalic, and did the entire driveway with 1 application of Ox. But when it dried these stains are left. I'm left to assume it's the crap sealer that I saw was failing. Only in the couple ares the customer had heavy rust and hard water stains did this aftermath happen, the same areas I applied several (maybe 3) applications of Ox.

Of course the customer is mad, and I'd probably be also. It is stated in the proposal that they signed that I pointed out to them that the sealer appeared to be failing.

I want to make this right for the customer, since customer satisfaction is always my goal. If it is/was the original sealer that failed, is the answer to remove the remaining sealer ? Or will SH help in this case ?

This is all new to me folks, never experienced an end result like this before. As always any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

The resolution doesn't appear too good on the forum. I can email you better resolution pictures, just shoot me an email.

GrimeBustersPressureWashing@msn.com

Am I reading your post correct that the discoloration/stain is only where you applied 3 times the ox?
    Florin Nutu
    206-380-4555

Quote Originally Posted by FLORIN View Post
    Am I reading your post correct that the discoloration/stain is only where you applied 3 times the ox?

Yes, only in the area(s) where I needed several applications of OX.

Hmmm. Only speculating... maybe etching due to the 3 apps instead of 1 of the rest of the drive. Getting further into the "fresh" concrete
    Florin Nutu
    206-380-4555

Quote Originally Posted by FLORIN View Post
    Hmmm. Only speculating... maybe etching due to the 3 apps instead of 1 of the rest of the drive. Getting further into the "fresh" concrete

That was my assumption, hoping to hear more feedback from others.

I did state verbally when I did the proposal that the sealer appeared to be failing and I could not guarantee what effect, if any the ox acid would have on the failing sealer. It is also stated in my proposal.

Worse case scenario would be, I assume, is that all of the remaining sealer would need to be removed.

I have contacted my insurance company, just in case.

Thanks for your reply FLORIN.

• Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information