• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

What kind of wood is this?

Tonyg

Painting a beach house that has a screened in porch. The decking looks like tongue and groove maybe? It looks like it has a semi-trans grey of some kind. The HO is from out of town and couldn't tell me much.

Everything else around it is going white and it would look great with one of the AC "tone" stains on it. I'm trying to upsell it and they are interested and could afford it :clap:

The these are from the underside which is to be painted but I don't think it has a sealer on it.

Attachments

• 12012008 041.jpg
    12012008 041.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 11152008 052 (Large).jpg
    11152008 052 (Large).jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 12012008 062 (Large).jpg
    12012008 062 (Large).jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 35

Tonyg

Couple from the top

Attachments

• 12012008 057 (Large).jpg
    12012008 057 (Large).jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 12012008 056 (Large).jpg
    12012008 056 (Large).jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 31

plainpainter

That's just straight grained fir - over 70 years ago, that was the only building material used for decking - mostly roofed over front porches. And it's my favorite wood to paint - holds porch and floor paint awesome!

Tonyg

Well, the underside will get painted with the rest of the carport. A primer and a finish. The top side I was thinking about stripping and retsaining with an AC transparent.

It was built in 1940 on the beach and I have no idea how old the wood is. How would Fir be treated for restoring? I am assuming it is a soft wood. Would it be treated like Pine? I have already washed the house and porch and was worried about drainage effecting the wood. Would this swell or damage the wood because it is tight? Does it look like tongue and groove or is it just laid tight?

Ken Fenner

The 1 by 2's look T&G. Not sure about the rest. Fir is soft and its easy to raise the grain on it. I'd probably sand it.

Tonyg

So can or should I try to strip and restore Fir? If it might be a hassle I could definitely pass on the decking.

Damaris Sutton

Painting a beach house that has a screened in porch. The decking looks like tongue and groove maybe? It looks like it has a semi-trans grey of some kind. The HO is from out of town and couldn't tell me much.

Everything else around it is going white and it would look great with one of the AC "tone" stains on it. I'm trying to upsell it and they are interested and could afford it :clap:

The these are from the underside which is to be painted but I don't think it has a sealer on it.

I know this is a bit old, but the finish looks like what we call pickeling white. It is a thinned down oil to create a custom semitransparent finish. It is usually only used on woods like fir, oak and others with good character. I have done a ton of this stuff with my Grandpa.