• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Explain roof cleaning

Jeff LeCours

Does anyone have an explanation sheet/flier or anything that you give customers. I had something written up fairly detailed explaining what is on roofs and the benefits of roof cleaning but I switched computers and I now don't have it. I would just like to copy it or some of it for a bid I am doing for a couple complexes, I hardly ever do roofs now

Anybody have anything I can use, sort of asap

my email is jl9055@sccoast.net or if you have it on your website, if you don't mind me copying it

Thanks
jeff

The Cleaning Doctor

Contributing Member
You ask your self why should I spend money cleaning my roof? Well there are several reasons you should do this.

The most obvious reason is for curb appeal. Your home is a big investment and you will want to show off that home. You are proud of all your hard work that it took to get that home and if you have the best curb appeal on the block. You can dramatically increase the bid prices if you are attempting to sell your home. The prospective buyer will not think that the roof needs to be replaced. They will think WOW that looks like a new roof and will probably not even ask about the age of the roof.

We all know from our school days that light colors reflect heat and dark colors absorb heat. Well that still holds true. What is the color of the algae growing on your roof? Oh yea, it's black or dark brown and it is absorbing heat. When it does this the temperature in your attic can rise dramatically. As you know proper attic cooling is essential to keeping your home cool. A rise in the attic temperature is going to require that your air conditioning unit run longer and more often to maintain a comfortable temperature. This over use can lead to a premature air conditioning unit failure.

You have a virtual buffet on your roof for these organisms to thrive. The shingles that are produced today have crushed limestone embedded into the asphalt (not the granules you see on top). These shingles hold moisture and organic "bacteria food" material longer than the shingles of 20 years ago. Additionally, these particular algae enjoy the limestone as a food source. Experts within the subject area conclude the bacteria to be harmful, if left untreated, as the growth holds moisture within shingles causing premature aging, rotting, and/or granule loss.

Once the algae/bacteria appear and become noticeable, the problem spreads year after year if left untreated.

Carlos Gonzales

You ask your self why should I spend money cleaning my roof? Well there are several reasons you should do this.

The most obvious reason is for curb appeal. Your home is a big investment and you will want to show off that home. You are proud of all your hard work that it took to get that home and if you have the best curb appeal on the block. You can dramatically increase the bid prices if you are attempting to sell your home. The prospective buyer will not think that the roof needs to be replaced. They will think WOW that looks like a new roof and will probably not even ask about the age of the roof.

We all know from our school days that light colors reflect heat and dark colors absorb heat. Well that still holds true. What is the color of the algae growing on your roof? Oh yea, it's black or dark brown and it is absorbing heat. When it does this the temperature in your attic can rise dramatically. As you know proper attic cooling is essential to keeping your home cool. A rise in the attic temperature is going to require that your air conditioning unit run longer and more often to maintain a comfortable temperature. This over use can lead to a premature air conditioning unit failure.

You have a virtual buffet on your roof for these organisms to thrive. The shingles that are produced today have crushed limestone embedded into the asphalt (not the granules you see on top). These shingles hold moisture and organic "bacteria food" material longer than the shingles of 20 years ago. Additionally, these particular algae enjoy the limestone as a food source. Experts within the subject area conclude the bacteria to be harmful, if left untreated, as the growth holds moisture within shingles causing premature aging, rotting, and/or granule loss.

Once the algae/bacteria appear and become noticeable, the problem spreads year after year if left untreated.

+10...thanks for sharing Pat

Jeff LeCours

Jeff, what ever happened with your bid?

No decision yet. I really think they won't be able to afford it, its an older not so well kept place, but I may be surprised or it could go to some hack like the last one I bid on and the guy blasted it with pressure

This is some of what I sent them. Thank you everyone

[FONT=&quot]Let's face it...your tired of seeing them. Yes, I am talking about those ugly roof stains. Are the buildings in your complex covered with [/FONT][FONT=&quot]black streaks or stains? [/FONT][FONT=&quot]If so, then you may be surprised by what the staining you see actually is. It is a form of algae called [/FONT][FONT=&quot]"Gloeocapsa Magma" [/FONT][FONT=&quot]which feeds on crushed limestone used in common asphalt shingles. The good news is it can be removed using the right roof cleaners and cleaning technique. Many people don't realize what causes the stains on your roof. We have heard almost everything...from residue of jet fuel to the shingles rotting from the inside out.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The truth is shingle roofs are manufactured with different degrees of quality. Most roofs applied by builders and roofing contractors are in the low quality range with few, if any, fungus fighting elements like zinc or copper. Higher quality roofs are generally found on expensive custom homes and where the owner has taken a special interest in the quality of the roof.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Contributing Factors: - [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Black fungus requires three things to grow: heat, moisture, and a nutrient. Nutrients can be found within the shingle themselves while other variables contribute to and hasten fungus growth. The north side of the roof is usually the first to exhibit staining because the moisture remains there longer.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Add to that, the type, grade and manufacturer of the shingle, the age of the roof, the close proximity of trees, pool, or lake, how hot and humid the weather is and if there are leaves accumulating on the roof. Now, you have most of the answer to the question why your roof turns black.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]What Can You Do?: - [/FONT][FONT=&quot]If you do nothing, your 25-year roof will most likely last less than 15 years and your homes will remain an unhealthy eyesore. Roof stains will increase energy costs, can cause health issues and its just plain UGLY. You can clean your roof yourself or hire an unqualified contractor, both are a risky proposition, or you can hire a professional like JL Pressure Washing. Roof stains can be easily removed with a NO PRESSURE washing and proper safe cleaning chemicals. NEVER let anyone use high pressure to clean your roofs. If you have any questions about getting the roofs of your complex clean, just give us a call.[/FONT]