Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Custormers "after thoughts"

Default Re: Custormers "after thoughts"

Dan

I'd encourage to consider size of jobs. For my model, there is a threshold of size at which they start to become worthwhile...can be sold and delivered profitably. Anything below that point is not really worth doing.

Scott Burt
    Topcoat Finishes, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by topcoat View Post
    Dan

I'd encourage to consider size of jobs. For my model, there is a threshold of size at which they start to become worthwhile...can be sold and delivered profitably. Anything below that point is not really worth doing.
    Tell that to the lady who starts asking me to break down the bid in 8 different ways! I don't even know what to do when they start asking me to do that?

A job I did a couple of years ago was master bedroom repaint, master closet room {a room with a further 3 closets within}, a master bathroom, and another bathroom. All were remodeled - so I had to take them from raw plaster and raw wood to finish. I bid $3,600 - and the next highest bid was $2,500 - and it got cheaper from there! I was able to sell the job, but that was '07 and the writing was on the wall. I worked my azzzz off - and just barely made $40/man-hour after materials. And I was huffing and puffing doing like 2,400 SF of cutting and rolling a day!

I hate the painting trades now - I think the only way to be successful is somehow hook up with a designer, start your own design firm, or somehow incorporate commercial painting and forget residential altogether.
    Daniel Tambasco
    Just Plain Painting
    Gutter Cleaning MA
    Deck Restoration Contractor
    978-749-9808

Talk about painting going to bust,,,My Father in Law has a painting company in Myrtle Beach and like three or four years ago had over 80 employee's,,,,now he's down to I think 4 and one of those is his son...
    Randall Brooks
    EvenTide Power Wash
    843-991-1324

Quote Originally Posted by MudDuck View Post
    Talk about painting going to bust,,,My Father in Law has a painting company in Myrtle Beach and like three or four years ago had over 80 employee's,,,,now he's down to I think 4 and one of those is his son...
    I hate hearing that stuff. But on the other hand I know a half dozen residential landscapers that do design and build as well having record years, what's up with that? Where did landscapers come from? And how come they're all doing like 500-700k of business off the backs of about 6-7 employees?
    Daniel Tambasco
    Just Plain Painting
    Gutter Cleaning MA
    978-749-9808

It does always seem to be the "price conscious" people that are the most critical. Critical is one thing, condemning is another. Mud, this is a textbook bad customer. If the check cleared the bank, its perhaps wise to delete her from your database and move on.
    Ken Fenner
    PressurePros, Inc
    House Washing
    Pressure Washing Companies

We had a customer this summer, one of the sikkens strips we did, where on the final walk around, the customer pointed out an upper window that we had "spilled oil on, and it was not like that before."

Difficult window to access, but I sent an employee up to clean it and it turned out that the mess was on the inside of the glass and had enough fly poo and spider webs on it to indicate that it was at least several months old. We hadnt done any interior work on the house, but I asked for access and made it clear that we were willing to clean the inside of the window because it detracts from the exterior visual quality of our work. No charge. Worth it to see the appreciation for going above and beyond. When something small is a big deal, it is always best to just handle it.

Scott Burt
    Topcoat Finishes, Inc.

This is exactly why I hate ServiceMagic. But only < 5% of our business is residential.
    Michael Tessaro
    Centex Pressure Washing Service
    P.O.Box 1432
    San Marcos,TX 78667-1432
    512-396-4511

Hood Cleaning Texas

Quote Originally Posted by PressurePros View Post
    its perhaps wise to delete her from your database and move on.
    Ken - I did a drive by of a bunch of homes recently that I washed this year. At least a half dozen have 'for sale' signs in front. What happens to my database?!?!? That's it - I am getting that T-shirt that that says 'Screwed for life' LOL.
    Daniel Tambasco
    Just Plain Painting
    Gutter Cleaning MA
    978-749-9808

Quote Originally Posted by plainpainter View Post
    Ken - I did a drive by of a bunch of homes recently that I washed this year. At least a half dozen have 'for sale' signs in front. What happens to my database?!?!? That's it - I am getting that T-shirt that that says 'Screwed for life' LOL.
    Dan

Whenever I feel this way, I ask myself: "What would DJ do?"

In this case I think of a half dozen things right off the top of my head that DJ would do that you and I and even Fenner himself wouldnt do. He would approach the homeowner with a complete report of what all comps within a 50 mile radius have sold for in the past 6 months, relate that to their asking price, show them that an average walls only interior paint job costs $2500 and yields an immediate ROI of 87% while speeding up the sale of the home on avg by 3 weeks. Sold.

Then, he leaves his card with the Realtor, and keeps track of when the house sells. At which point, he sends the new homeowner a housewarming gift, which includes $20 Starbucks gift card, a 15% off coupon for a custom paint job in the kitchen or master bath, and an Easy Pro magnet for their fridge, among other things like room fresheners etc. He then follows up and explains to them the benefits to them of having Easy Pro handle all of their interior and exterior home maintenance needs going forward.

Then, he goes to work on the neighbors. Meanwhile, the other half dozen houses you described that are also for sale, he has the same thing going on. He ends up hiring a satellite crew to deal with this stuff, while he expands his marketing business. Which, by the way, he has pitched to all 12 realtors he encountered in your customer base sample (6 seller and 6 buyer realtors). He gets orders for 4000 pens and designs letterhead and brochures for 2 real estate offices, who then refer him to their appraisers, mortgage bankers, closing attorneys...

Meanwhile, you, me and Fenner read it on here and go: "Right on, DJ."

Scott Burt
    Topcoat Finishes, Inc.

You don't read your Parables, Scott, the tortoise eventually wins the race. LOL.
    Daniel Tambasco
    Just Plain Painting
    Gutter Cleaning MA
    978-749-9808

• Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information