• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Interesting read!

Carlos Gonzales

And the meter of private citizenship with wealth pegs one step closer to communism. Unbelievable.

I would have to agree with you on this one Fen...

I read this news article three times....as contractors all that I can say is stand by.

Looks like we will be putting our Environmental Consultant - Robert Hinderliter to work in the upcoming year.

Contrary to popular belief..the UAMCC has a very good track record thus far with Environmental Issues.

Tomdurbin

Contributing Member
Big Government. Its worked so well in California. What we need is the government to just run our lives completely. This way we don't have to think. The only thing is we should be responsible on our own. If you are washing keep the water from entering the storm drains and entering water ways. You have to turn negatives into positives. If they regulate this industry then we can weed out some of the fly by nights. Wash water recovery is not going to disappear. If it becomes the standard nationwide then we can get rid of these guys that are price droppers. Then when you quote .30 per square foot or more you won't have to worry about the .05 centers bidding on your projects. Make Lemonade.

James VanHandle

UAMCC-Member
Big Government. Its worked so well in California. What we need is the government to just run our lives completely. This way we don't have to think. The only thing is we should be responsible on our own. If you are washing keep the water from entering the storm drains and entering water ways. You have to turn negatives into positives. If they regulate this industry then we can weed out some of the fly by nights. Wash water recovery is not going to disappear. If it becomes the standard nationwide then we can get rid of these guys that are price droppers. Then when you quote .30 per square foot or more you won't have to worry about the .05 centers bidding on your projects. Make Lemonade.

You think just like I do!

Ken Fenner

I agree, but the problem has never been with regulations, its with enforcement. Very stiff fines for property owners/managers and a public awareness campaign with staffed hotlines and local law enforcement cooperation should do the trick. In the meantime, like with gun control, regulation only hurts honest people.

Michael Kreisle

Contributing Member

The problem with that is that it isn't enforced which allows the hack to continue getting the work as folks turn a blind eye to the cut corners to get a low price. And to boot, there are hacks (my definition happens to be guys with no business sense) with the equipment to reclaim, yet continue to price at $.02/sqft. Without the Business sense, it won't matter how well equipped you are or how much you reclaim.

The stance we as an industry needs to take (my opinion) is one of two things.. a) fight for lessening the restrictions as they hamper our ability to be profitable or b) fight for the enforcement of the ones already in place. Either way, I feel they will lead to the same end.. Less or no restrictions.

The issue we face as an industry is that none of us are willing to get on the same page. Some, like distributors that profit from the regulations, like the regulations. Then others that see no enforcement of regulations know it is damaging to our profit margins. Some Contractors like using it as a tool to trick thier way into a gig and some see it for what it is, a marketing gimmick and don't like the regulations.

There won't be any advancement as long as there are tug-of-wars going on within the industry. Hence the reason for a CONTRACTOR org that is free of outside influence. Free of pocket lining iterests from having a say as to what direction the Contractors take when deciding how to best deal with these stupid restrictions.

I will say this, if CONTRACTORS don't become a voice, other interested parties WILL and we won't like the outcome. CETA will push for what benefits them and thier members.(more equipment sales) Carwash industry will push for what is in thier best interest. The list goes on. The buck usually gets passed to the ones that just accept it. Right now, they way it has been in our industry, the ones that have been working the sytem have it so that we all just look like laborers with with Equipment. The equipment has been portrayed as being the hero. Not the Business owners with knowledge of business systems and methods for cleaning. Most of us on here have proven time and time again, that with the right know-how, we can accomplish clean with ANY brand or in some case no machine at all. The difference in success in a business, should NEVER be where or what equipment you have, but rather what you have done to build your base of Business knowledge. With that in place, you can sell widgets, hair implants or pressure washing services and still succeed.

OK off my box. I get all riled up when I see more of this crap about regulating us. Some think we want more of it to weed out competition, but it actually increases it and puts those of us that do right at an unfair disadvantage to be competitive as long as the customers still think we're all the same,.. Laborers with equipment. They will take low bid and close thier eyes when the low bidder violates the regulation. So, to be fair, MR GOOBERMENT, remove the regulations or friggin' spend to enforce them and find you're better off removing them.

plainpainter

I'm all about protecting the environment and don't mind regulation. But I do agree to a big extent - when government posts laws and the ensuing fines and sentences for breaking these laws. Yet in reality does not enforce - that drives me bonkers. Because there is always that chance they may enforce that one day. And all the lowballers have no morales whatsoever and do their work the dirtiest/cheapest possible.

If there was one thing I wished they changed about regulation - and it would make a dramatic impact. Every time someone does something wrong - the homeowner should be equally punished. I see it too often in the painting trades - I mean the understanding that 'lead' is bad is pervasive among our collective conscientiousness. Yet homeowner turn a 'blind' eye when they get a real good cheap estimate to paint their lead ridden home. Unless government punishes the customers along with the contractor - then regulation will never mean anything. A couple of homeowners that get fined/sued and trust me the word will spread like wild fire - homeowners have no capacity to gamble like bottom feeding contractors do.