• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Startup looking for some feedback

buildingbath

I would love to hear from anyone that can give some feedback for absolute minimum equipment requirement for a small pressure cleaning startup. I am supposed to be getting a quote on a ready to go trailer with 13hp Honda (Not belt driven) hoses and a water tank but will have to get the specs from him then will post here. I also want to clean gas stations and walkways of grease and gum and know hot water needed for that.

Could you guys guide me to the best equipment for something like this and where you would suggest I look?

Nice to join you and look forward to your responses!

Ben Navarre

Ken Fenner

Ben, you have chosen probably the toughest type of business in the industry. Runoff from a gas station is strictly regulated. In addition to a surface cleaner, and a higher flow (5 gpm+) hot water machine, you will need to be certain you can adhere to reclaim standards for each job. Properly setup and not including vehicle you can easily drop over $20,000. Keep in mind that the equipment is only one part of the equation. Equipment does not make your phone ring. You will need some budget for advertising.

Chris Tharpe

Hot water is a must as you stated, doing flatwork you will need a minimum of 5.5 gallons per minute so skip the 13hp idea and go with something larger (18-24hp) right now Lori at Pressurewasherproducts.com is selling several different machines at great prices. You may want to speak to them and see what they can offer you.

Starter list (condenced)
5.5gpm-8gpm hot water machine
200-300 ft of 3/8 hose (spare 100-150 ft as well)
hose reels
200 ft of garden hose with spares
Buffer Tank (at 8gpm i would recommend a 350 gallon or larger)
Chemicals
Surface cleaner (our current favorite is the 24' steel eagles) extremely durable

that should get you started with something in mind. Can concrete be cleaned with less gpm sure, however you are starting in a overly competitive market that does things for little money meaning you have to move fast to make a buck. I strongly suggest talking with contractors in your area and other parts of the state on what they can advise you of about the FL market

buildingbath

Chris, you are a gentleman and a scholar. Thank you for both posts, man, I really appreciate it. Thank you to the other gentleman as well.

What would you recommend to have when I want to approach a business about cleaning their traffic area of gum and grease? What have you found works the best and most efficient?

Ben

Chris Tharpe

Chris, you are a gentleman and a scholar. Thank you for both posts, man, I really appreciate it. Thank you to the other gentleman as well.

What would you recommend to have when I want to approach a business about cleaning their traffic area of gum and grease? What have you found works the best and most efficient?

Ben

There is no one set method that works, you may use 20 different methods to get in an account and then again you may only need one quick email or phone call. It all depends on what works for the customer. One quote I would recommend is " Fake it until you know it"

Guy Blackmon

Ben, My advise is STOP!!!!!!!! And start reading and learning about the business you want to start. Pressure Washing is easy, running a (Profitable) Pressure Washing Business is hard.

Listen to Chris, gas stations are his business, he knows what he is talking about!

Ken, is a very smart Businessman, his advise is Gold!

Friend of mine just picked up a Hot Water rig used (80 hrs) for $3500.00, trailer, tank, ready to go (I'm so jealous)!!!!!

Want to know how he got a $12,000 rig for $3500????

Because someone didn't do their homework, and jumped the gun. It cost the guy $8500.00+ to learn that lesson, I hope you won't be that guy!

Marketing, Market Saturation, Demographics, if you don't know what these 3 words mean in your area, you're in for a rude awakening.

I don't mean to scare you Ben, I've seen too many guys start their business with equipment first. Start with knowledge first!!!

If I can help in any way just call! Good luck Brother!!!!

buildingbath

Thank you, Guy!

I, on a small scale was one of those guys a few years back. I would definately be approaching it more from the standpoint of learning before jumping in. I am very intrigued by the business but dont want to get burned the way you described.

There are some nasty gas stations around here that I truly want to clean just out of pride and the challenge but did not know about the regulations associated with it. That blindsided me.

I cant tell you how invaluable I find everyone's feedback and how much I hope you are successful beyond your wildest goals.

Your new friend,

Ben Navarre
Tampa