• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Need More Hose!

Carlos Gonzales

I am playing around on my set up and I am looking to add another 250+ feet of hose which means adding another reel. Right now I have 2 reels - one for supply to the tank and the other for the gun.

This may be dumb ? but can I add another summit reel and stack it on the existing one...plumb it so that both reels feed just one gun. I was looking at my set up for about all 10 minutes and couldn't see how this could be done but thought..."hey...I will ask the pros here on UAMCC"!! :redface:

Or do I just need to buy a reel that can handle 500+ feet? I was looking at the SM 30 ~ which I think holds around 600 feet but its base is wider and I dont have much room on the single axle due to the tank and tool box that is on it.

Any suggestions?

Carlos Gonzales

As a footnote to my post above...I am changing my target market to focus in on commercial primarily. My set up sufficed in the residential arena but I need to make some changes to my set up. :clap:

Jim Cooney

Couple things to consider. Friction loss is #1. The more hose, especially 3/8" hose, the more PSI and GPM you'll lose. Volume flatwork and maximum profit happen with high GPM and optimal PSI. And as Jim Gamble has taught me, high heat is your best friend doing garages. (All I wanted for Xmas was a 2.2 MILLION BTU burner)

The second thing I'm thinking of is I can't imagine hand cranking 500' of hose up several times a night.

Since I invested in my electric Hannay reels, I'll never consider anything else.

I'll post pictures of my set-up tomorrow.

Attachments

• H2O friction loss chart.pdf
    58.4 KB · Views: 42

Carlos Gonzales

Couple things to consider. Friction loss is #1. The more hose, especially 3/8" hose, the more PSI and GPM you'll lose. Volume flatwork and maximum profit happen with high GPM and optimal PSI. And as Jim Gamble has taught me, high heat is your best friend doing garages. (All I wanted for Xmas was a 2.2 MILLION BTU burner)

The second thing I'm thinking of is I can't imagine hand cranking 500' of hose up several times a night.

Since I invested in my electric Hannay reels, I'll never consider anything else.

I'll post pictures of my set-up tomorrow.

Yes the thought of cranking all that hose will be a pain in the ***

The electric Hannay is an option also...I never thought of that Jim. Thanks.

I am bidding on some large storefronts here in the Bay Area and if my estimates are correct...some of them will have to have at least 400' of hose on the deck!

Florin Nutu

I have my main reel that is plumbed with the spindle with 250' of hose and then I have 2 more reels that the hose is not plumbed in. It just has quick conects on each end and I just pull it off the reels and connect to main when needed. The other 2 reels are just air hose reels and I keep 100' on each.

Jeff LeCours

Carlos instead of stacking reels and buying the 2nd one, to accommodate more hose, why don't you just buy a bigger hose reel, take off the reel thats to small. I have some that hold 300 ft and I have a couple that hold 400ft
Commercial flat work, do you have at least 8gpm, it really makes a difference

Lenny Schrecengost

Contributing Member
Carlos,
Like Florin said use the extra reals and with them portable you can carry them out 200 or 300 feet to where you need them.
JL is right about the bigger machine. We bought a newer trailer last fall with a used 5gpm machine. We put our newer 5gmp on it and then we plummed them together for 10gpm. It walks right through the sidewalks. We have it set up for 10 gpm to use on the surface cleaner and then we can swithch it to 5gpm on 2 hoses so 2 guys can be rincing at the same time. We can go twice as fast now.
This will work good, I got a verbal agreement on about 15 medium to large shopping centers twice a year. I hope to get the signen contract this wek or next.

Greg Nash

The last job we had over 1500 hundred feet of hose out, thats not including low pressure hose. I dont plumb hose reels to machines I quick connect and pull out what I need its easier for us that way. I would say get the biggest hose reel you can get on the trailer and fill it up you can never have enough hose on your trailer.

James VanHandle

UAMCC-Member
The last job we had over 1500 hundred feet of hose out, thats not including low pressure hose. I dont plumb hose reels to machines I quick connect and pull out what I need its easier for us that way. I would say get the biggest hose reel you can get on the trailer and fill it up you can never have enough hose on your trailer.

Carlos,
If you have a 400ft lenth of sidewalk to clean you need two hose reels holding 250ft hose each. Park in the center of the job, work both ways, you need two machines or sometimes we run two surface cleaners from a 8gal min machine.

James VanHandle

UAMCC-Member
Carlos,
If you have a 400ft lenth of sidewalk to clean you need two hose reels holding 250ft hose each. Park in the center of the job, work both ways, you need two machines or sometimes we run two surface cleaners from a 8gal min machine.

Oh yah!!
purchase electric hose reels. They are worth every penny. After pushing around surface cleaners all night the last thing you or your guys want to do is crank.

Jim Cooney

2 Hannay electric reels with 250' of 1/2" hose on each. 6000 PSI stainless steel ball valves at end of jumper hose to enable the addition or removal of our Allison downstrean injectors, and same ball valves at the business end of 1/2" hose.

The reels on the left are top quality Cox reels with 220' of 3/4" supply hose on each.

HannayReelsandballvalves002.jpg

HannayReelsandballvalves003.jpg

HannayReelsandballvalves004.jpg

Carlos Gonzales

Great advice from everyone...thanks.

I will probably purchase a bigger reel. That will be my short term fix. Long term...mmm...I need to get a bigger trailer I think.

Jim...your trailer...2 axles...correct?

I like those reels bro..:clap:

Carlos Gonzales

Carlos instead of stacking reels and buying the 2nd one, to accommodate more hose, why don't you just buy a bigger hose reel, take off the reel thats to small. I have some that hold 300 ft and I have a couple that hold 400ft
Commercial flat work, do you have at least 8gpm, it really makes a difference

Naaa...I am at 5 right now at 3k psi but am considering bumping it up to a 8 or a 8.5