Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Trailer Brakes?

Default Trailer Brakes?

I seem to be eating brakes on my van. I believe I should add electric brakes? Any advise would be appreciated. Thank You.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Our Passion is Coatings,
    Our Obsession is Service!

Terry Miller COO
    Tegrey Family of Coatings inc.
    330-418-8955

Default Re: Trailer Brakes?

IMO, it has to do with how heavy your trailer is and what your towing with. I tow with a 4 cyl. ranger but tow a small light trailer with no problems. Had the brakes done at 50,000 and towed for 45,000 of those miles. If I go to a bigger trailer (6X12) and still tow with the ranger I'll get trailer brakes. If I upgrade to an F150, I don't see the need for trailer brakes.
    Chris Ragan
    Ocean City Power Wash
    Ocean City, NJ
    609.391.WASH
    oceancitypowerwash@yahoo.com

Terry,

Do you empty the water before you get on the road? If so you don't need electric brakes for your set-up. Anytime you are towing something your brakes will ware faster. If you don't feel safe by all means get the brakes. If is about the cost of brake maintance you should figure the cost and time to add the brakes on the trailer. Then you will have the cost of maintaining two sets of brakes.

Bobby Weir

Coastal HydroPower inc.

I tow our rig with a 2005 Savanah. Trouble is we may have a few jobs back to back. Our jobs are usually within 15 miles. That creates a lot of problems as we carry water from site to site. Thus eliminating fill time. I believe the cost of trailer brakes will pay for theirselves? I have a 6 X 12 with a 3500 Honda, Bandit, 100gal + 35 gal. This adds up. Thank You.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Our Passion is Coatings,

Terry Miller COO
    330-418-8955

Terry,
    I usually will only carry enough water to get me started on the next site. 50 gallons (sometimes less) to maybe 100 at the max. Never had a problem with brakes other than normal wear. We normally start using the fill hose as soon as we get to that site and are careful not to fill more than whats needed.

Rob Huffman
    Aspen Contractors

I just had the breaks repaired. $281.00! I will probably dump extra water between jobs? For trailer brakes it would be about $600. Maybe I could pay someone to ride in back of the trailer and drag their feet? LOL Let's see: $4.00 / hr. divide into $600. = 150 hrs.! LOL Thanks for your response.
    Our Passion is Coatings,

Terry Miller COO
    330-418-8955

We Carry a 275 gallon water tank plus equipment on our trailers brakes are a must have. Besides after a certain gmvw brakes are required by DOT.

I have a 6x10 enclosed and live in the mtns of nc.I put my own trailer breakes on bought them at northern 100.00 per side. Now i got the brakes because the toyota t 100 was lighter then what i carry,or near the same.Now my new truck dont need them its all about your pulling vehicle.My truck is a 2500hd and has the allison under it with a 496 big block.The alison controls the truck kinda like a jake brake controls a trackor trailer and the motor is the power and dont have issues on pulling and no issues on the braking side which i dont use on trailer and use very little on the truck.Get a bigger truck or van you'll have less issues on the hauling.You know instead of a half ton get a 3/4 ton with a 4:10 gear ratio you'll see.
    Marko
    CLEANHOODS formally S&M Cleaning Services since 1997
    call 24/7>>>>>>> (828)632-7688 office
    High quality exhaust system detailer...emergency services available...fair rates....guaranteed inspection approval !
    Owner: Marko
    Visit Cleanhoods at:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cleanhoods/186427068726 or http://twitter.com/ Or E-Mail cleanhoods2002@yahoo.com

The way I look at it, trailer brakes will at least reduce stopping distances. In the event someone pulls out in front of you, that could mean the difference between having an accident or not. That is justification enough for me to spend the $600.00.
    Indiana Hood & Duct Cleaning Services
    Christopher M. Bunn Sr.
    Bunn Cleaning Company
    765-419-0108
    www.thegreasepolice.com

I agree if you do any pulling when someone sees your hauling a trailer they have to pull in front of you so brakes and or a bigger vehicle is a pluss.Better to spend to money on the saftey then one day needing the saftey and dont have it and then out of work cause of damage to your vehicle and possably your equiptment.
    Marko
    CLEANHOODS formally S&M Cleaning Services since 1997
    call 24/7>>>>>>> (828)632-7688 office
    High quality exhaust system detailer...emergency services available...fair rates....guaranteed inspection approval !
    Owner: Marko
    Visit Cleanhoods at:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cleanhoods/186427068726 or http://twitter.com/ Or E-Mail cleanhoods2002@yahoo.com

• Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information