• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Trailer Brakes?

Terry Miller

I seem to be eating brakes on my van. I believe I should add electric brakes? Any advise would be appreciated. Thank You.

Attachments

• 100_971825.JPG
    100_971825.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 58
IMO, it has to do with how heavy your trailer is and what your towing with. I tow with a 4 cyl. ranger but tow a small light trailer with no problems. Had the brakes done at 50,000 and towed for 45,000 of those miles. If I go to a bigger trailer (6X12) and still tow with the ranger I'll get trailer brakes. If I upgrade to an F150, I don't see the need for trailer brakes.

Terry,

Do you empty the water before you get on the road? If so you don't need electric brakes for your set-up. Anytime you are towing something your brakes will ware faster. If you don't feel safe by all means get the brakes. If is about the cost of brake maintance you should figure the cost and time to add the brakes on the trailer. Then you will have the cost of maintaining two sets of brakes.

Terry Miller

I tow our rig with a 2005 Savanah. Trouble is we may have a few jobs back to back. Our jobs are usually within 15 miles. That creates a lot of problems as we carry water from site to site. Thus eliminating fill time. I believe the cost of trailer brakes will pay for theirselves? I have a 6 X 12 with a 3500 Honda, Bandit, 100gal + 35 gal. This adds up. Thank You.

Attachments

• 100_972925.jpg
    100_972925.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 55

Rob Huffman

Terry,
I usually will only carry enough water to get me started on the next site. 50 gallons (sometimes less) to maybe 100 at the max. Never had a problem with brakes other than normal wear. We normally start using the fill hose as soon as we get to that site and are careful not to fill more than whats needed.

Rob Huffman
Aspen Contractors

Terry Miller

I just had the breaks repaired. $281.00! I will probably dump extra water between jobs? For trailer brakes it would be about $600. Maybe I could pay someone to ride in back of the trailer and drag their feet? LOL Let's see: $4.00 / hr. divide into $600. = 150 hrs.! LOL Thanks for your response.

Sal Panebianco

We Carry a 275 gallon water tank plus equipment on our trailers brakes are a must have. Besides after a certain gmvw brakes are required by DOT.

cleanhoods

I have a 6x10 enclosed and live in the mtns of nc.I put my own trailer breakes on bought them at northern 100.00 per side. Now i got the brakes because the toyota t 100 was lighter then what i carry,or near the same.Now my new truck dont need them its all about your pulling vehicle.My truck is a 2500hd and has the allison under it with a 496 big block.The alison controls the truck kinda like a jake brake controls a trackor trailer and the motor is the power and dont have issues on pulling and no issues on the braking side which i dont use on trailer and use very little on the truck.Get a bigger truck or van you'll have less issues on the hauling.You know instead of a half ton get a 3/4 ton with a 4:10 gear ratio you'll see.
Marko

Christopher Bunn

The way I look at it, trailer brakes will at least reduce stopping distances. In the event someone pulls out in front of you, that could mean the difference between having an accident or not. That is justification enough for me to spend the $600.00.

cleanhoods

I agree if you do any pulling when someone sees your hauling a trailer they have to pull in front of you so brakes and or a bigger vehicle is a pluss.Better to spend to money on the saftey then one day needing the saftey and dont have it and then out of work cause of damage to your vehicle and possably your equiptment.
Marko

Terry Miller

I don't believ we need Trailer brakes? It weighs less then 3,000 lbs. My truck pulling is the Silverado, 2500 HD. 6 liter. Do I need assistance? Thank you.

cleanhoods

I don't believ we need Trailer brakes? It weighs less then 3,000 lbs. My truck pulling is the Silverado, 2500 HD. 6 liter. Do I need assistance? Thank you.

brakes still help on your trucks brake life.I have the 2500hd 8.1 liter with the allison trans which has like a jake deal but when you have brakes on your trailer it stil makes a difference.Just because a rig just has a rare light oad doesnt mean he,ll not connect the trailer brakes.
Marko

Guy Blackmon

Terry, go with trailer brakes, your stopping distance will be cut by at least a 1/3 . Mine have saved my bacon more than I care to remember!!!

cleanhoods

Remember a pressure washer is a pressure washer but what type you get make the job go alot better.You can get a Lowes PW 3000psi 2.8 gpm, but man get an accual commercial unit with 3000PSI at 5+ GPM an the performance is alot better.
Marko

cleanhoods

What i did with my trailer went to Northern got the brakes for around 100.00 and installed them myself and they do fine.Remember the sayng on the prev. post you know a trailer is a trailer but a trailer with brakes is better.
Marko

Russ Spence

We have brakes on both axles on all trailers, maybe overkill for some but if you ever get in a situation you need to stop quickly you will be glad they are there, they are a must in my oponion, I love myself so I dont5 want to kill me because I was cheap.

Last edited:

John Orr

UAMCC Treasurer
This is an extremely serious thread. The likelihood of having a problem with a trailer (forgetting to lock the hitch, attach chains, raise stand/wheel, flat tire) rises exponentially with frequency of use. (This is true of most dangerous activities.)

If you are running a professional business, you should have professional tools - including your trailer. Even though you may normally not overload -or even load to capacity - your trailer, the day will come when you need to carry water to a site and every gallon weighs 8.33 lbs. I have a 300 gallon tank (8.33 x 300 = 2499 lbs). Add that weight to the actual weight of the trailer and all of a sudden, you could have almost 2 tons of extra weight to stop. Your truck/van will most likely stop, but it will stop sooner if your trailer has brakes.

(While we're on the subject, tongue weight should also be taken into consideration. Also, prior to leaving every job - or starting out in the morning - my company policy is to test the trailer lights.)

Scott Stone

GET THE BRAKES!!!

They are worth every penny. You will notice an immediate improvement in your drivng experience if you have them. (I did not know how toput it any other way.)

Ron Musgraves

Past President
Staff member
GIMME A BREAK!!!!!!!

I vote breaks, if you can have them it will be easier on your trucks brakes and handle better.

If your on hills? you will love them.

Trailer breaks are very cheap, I have very light trailers and i dont always use them when i pull with my one ton. I should and often I feel the difference when i get into a light duty with the brake for sure. :clap::clap::clap: