• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Oil in pump sight glass, what's going on? Help

Jeff Jacobs

Contributing Member
Oil & water in pump sight glass, what's going on? Help

It looks there is oil and water in my pump sight glass,(TSF 2021) what's going on?
What do I do? From what I can find out it looks like the seals and packing have failed. How do I repair it? How much will it cost?
Do I have to take it to a shop. I've never taken a pump apart before. How much does a new pump cost?

Last edited:

Lonnie Greenwood

Re: Oil & water in pump sight glass, what's going on? Help

It looks there is oil and water in my pump sight glass,(TSF 2021) what's going on?
What do I do? From what I can find out it looks like the seals and packing have failed. How do I repair it? How much will it cost?
Do I have to take it to a shop. I've never talen a pump apart before. How much does a new pump cost?[/QUO

Call Bob at Pressure Tek im sure he will be able to help you

Jim Chesmore

Re: Oil & water in pump sight glass, what's going on? Help

Do I have to take it to a shop. I've never talen a pump apart before. How much does a new pump cost?[/QUO

Call Bob at Pressure Tek im sure he will be able to help you

Lonnie you took the words out of my mouth :yes:

Kory Finley

First off count to ten and relax....... Is your pressure ok? Have you drained the oil and added new oil? If it is seals its about $100 for the kit. I hope this helps till you can call a repair shop.

Tony Shelton

Environmental Consultant / Past Director
Sometimes that can be caused by a bad oring on the cap that has allowed condensation to form inside. Change the oil first. It's a cheap test.

Brian Wendling

I agree take a breath. You should always have a seal kit for the pumps you have and oil. It is not hard to replace some of the seals, take the head off and look at them some times it is only 1 or 2.

Jim Chesmore

I agree take a breath. You should always have a seal kit for the pumps you have and oil. It is not hard to replace some of the seals, take the head off and look at them some times it is only 1 or 2.

If you have it all apart, why not replace all of them?

Brian Wendling

If they are not in bad shape why replace them. It takes 10 minutes to take everything off and the seals are not cheap. I do them all the time, if you do not have many problems and it is a once a year thing then maybe you should do all of them but if they look good to me why not let them go on.

Russ Johnson

UAMCC Associate Member
Is oil leaking from the pump? Or is it water in the oil? Changing oil seals won't stop the water from getting in if you have bad water seals or cracked pistons.

Jeff Jacobs

Contributing Member
There is water in the oil and the pump is leaking water. I'm not sure where. I have found a parts list but can't find a repair manual. Does anyone have a link to one; it is a General Pump TSF2021.

Tomdurbin

Contributing Member
Russ is correct. If there is water in the oil most likely one or more of your pistons are cracked. They have orings on the piston bolts that could be bad causing this as well. If you have water only coming from the head and not oil then your oil seals are most likely good. The oil seals are made to keep the oil in not water out. Thats were the piston seals and pistons come into play. Take the head off and visually inspect the pistons. Pull on them and see if there is any play. If there is play then the backend of the pump is most likely shot. At least this with all of the other problems wouldn't make it worth fixing. The part number for the piston from General is 52040009 that is for one ceramic plunger. The bolt kit is not listed but I would guess a kit # 6 this gives you the bolt with seals. The water seals without new brass kit 160 one will do the whole pump. The kit number with new brass kit 166. Hope this helps.

Russ Johnson

UAMCC Associate Member
Seal kit #170, with brass #171, piston #66040009
Kit 6 will not fit this pump. The piston fastening is completely different than a 47 series (TS2021, etc)

Jeff Jacobs

Contributing Member
Thanks for all the help. I pulled the head and saw that the packing in the first cylinder has a dime size half moon shaped piece missing from it. Looks like an easy fix.