• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Building Cleaning Suggestions

Jim Cooney

I went to bid 2 large 2 story buildings today. These buildings are less than 2 years old, tilt-up concrete constructed.

The main issue, which the following slide show will demonstrate, is the streaking. My assumption is that the problem is paint failure, probably a combination of poor pre paint prep, lack of sealer/primer before color coat, or possibly the concrete tilt slabs were never sealed.

The most constant issues are under most of the window frames, directly under the window frame weep holes. But there are also several places that less severe streaking has occurred.

The PM had another pressure washing contractor wash at least part of 1 building. In several places this contractor used high pressure and removed the paint.

Looking forward to the members feedback, suggestions and comments. I will be doing a test panel this weekend, trying a couple different products. I doubt a proper cleaning is going to resolve this issue. Regardless, these buildings will need a prep for paint wash prior to the painting contractor either repainting or 2 stepping with a primer/sealer followed by a color coat.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

http://photobucket.com/ASU_2030_2050?albumview=slideshow

John Orr

UAMCC Treasurer
It almost looks like either efflorescence or possibly run-off from silicone from the window caulking. If its efflorescence, I would use either SafeRestore or SureKleen 600, If it bubbles, its eflo. For silicone, a butyl cleaner or Simple Green and scrubbing.

I would give the folks at SafeRestore a call.

Jim Cooney

It almost looks like either efflorescence or possibly run-off from silicone from the window caulking. If its efflorescence, I would use either SafeRestore or SureKleen 600, If it bubbles, its eflo. For silicone, a butyl cleaner or Simple Green and scrubbing.

I would give the folks at SafeRestore a call.

Thanks John. I did some preliminary tests while onsite yesterday. Rules out efflorescence. Also tried some Simple Green at a 50/50 mixture. Took the white stain and the paint right off. Even tried just plain water on a paper towel, after some little rubbing the paint began to come off.

With tilt concrete construction the proper way to prepare the tilt slab is to do an acid wash once the forms have been removed. The acid wash releases the form oil and excess latent cement on the surface. This will open up the pores to allow paint to adhere.

I'm assuming either the acid wash was never done initially, or they did a sub standard job. That and/or the paint is failing.

Safe restore will most likely melt the existing paint off the wall. I will try a small section with Safe Restore this weekend, along with a couple other products I commonly use for building washed and prep for paint washes. Will post more pictures after the test panel has been completed then a couple days later when it has dried completely.

Thanks for your input John.

Lonnie Greenwood

I did a building like that last year and i used SafeRestore very good product do a small area to see how it works that what i did before i told the client that i could clean it because they were going to spend thousands to paint and i was able to clean it an they were very happy about the saving.

Tony Shelton

Environmental Consultant / Past Director
Jim, you're going to have two problems with this one. First You're going to spend a lot of time trying to figure out what is going to work. (Saferestore will probably do a great job) Second, without fixing the initial problem it's going to come right back the first time it rains.

This has happened on two buildings with us out here. Building washes out here are usually just dirt removal.

When we find stuff like this we tell them to call the contractor who built it and either ask them to fix it or file a claim.

When you clean it, and it just comes right back as soon as it rains it is a strain on the customer relationship.

James Foley

Looks like the incorrect caulking was used and its melting. Not just around the windows. I had an issue with windows once bleeding bad and they had a sealant put over the caulk. It made it bleed less so it took longer to look crappy.

Jim Cooney

Safe Restore will melt the cheap latex paint, I assume. I did several test spots already. 50/50 Simple Green melted the paint.

Has anyone used Safe Restore without experiencing paint failure ?