• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Getting started... Pics!

AquaBlast

My name is Mike. I've seen how pressure washing is a great way to start off as a small side job. It can really blow up into a big thing and I think I've been bitten by the bug. Anyways, I've just found a trailer to haul all my gear on for $200 in pretty good condition, just a bit of rust, and right now I'm restoring it. Starting off, I had to keep in mind that I couldn't spend too much on the "business project" because we have a baby on the way. I've checked out my competition in my area and there are no actual pressure washing businesses, only equipment rental places and people that rent them and do it for a couple days (for real estate mostly...) I went to a couple of real estate places to see if I could get work, one said they might need a guy to pressure wash properties for them ;) I've got 5 jobs lined up at the moment. I've been studying and trying to learn about pressure washing as much as possible.

th_SANY0648.jpg

th_SANY0564.jpg

This trailer is around 20 or 30 years old... It has a name on it, says Ole' Reliable. Don't know anything else about it. It has been taken apart to remove as much rust as possible. I'm using a 40 grit wheel on my grinder to remove the paint and rust, then it will be ground smooth with a higher grit. It will be sprayed with rust protective primer, and then sprayed with 3 coats of fire engine red paint. I've still got quite a bit of work to do, but I'd give it another week or two.

After it's ready, I'll be hauling 2 33 gallon water totes, a Briggs & Stratton (Troy-Bilt made) 7.0 HP (which I cannot find anything on my particular model and nowhere on the machine does it say the model number, but it appears to be an older model.

DSCF5135.JPG

http://www.repocast.com/details.cfm?ID=3040# <------- for bigger pic

This is not the actual one I've got, but it looks just like mine.

A manual would be nice, but another good deal, I believed at the time ($100 dollars from a friend, rarely used it) 3000 PSI pressure washer that does 2.8 GPM (max rated), as much security as possible, and a truck tool box at the front, that I managed to snag for $50. I updated the hose, wand and sprayer before starting it. I checked the oil and gas and made sure everything was good to go.

This is how it's gonna look:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v...g Rig/?action=view&current=trailertoolbox.jpg

I've done some work in the driveway and on the sidewalk to get a feel of how to work with my equipment. First impressions on this particular pressure washer- good strong force. I liked it. I got out my nozzle tip chart and picked out the 15 degree nozzle and played on the concrete with it. It seems like I have hold the nozzle tip 3 inches away from the driveway to make a noticeable difference. As the water hits the driveway, bam, it was instantly clean!

I've picked up a few goodies for the pressure washing rig, such as a hose reel with wheels, but no handle for pulling. You have to grab it from the bottom piece going across, in order to pull it, and then 400 feet of industrial strength isn't exactly light... Sucks. I had to find a way to make one, so I drilled two holes on each side, and found an old children's bunk bed ladder, and drilled holes, and there I had a decent "more-mobile" hose reel. I also found a smaller hose reel and I attached it to the top of the pressure washer. Work's pretty good for now. Anything to make the job go faster, right? Pics up on the handle tomorrow.

th_SANY0568.jpg

Notice the LARGE size can of potato sticks (for a size reference).

I found a turbo nozzle here: http://www.tooloutfitters.com/3000lb-pressure-washer-turbo-nozzle.html

93650310-d798-4315-a244-b2551ccb8b23.jpg

It's about 19 bucks and I'm cheap, so this is a potential bargain for me. From what I've heard is that a turbo nozzle is definitely worth getting. Maybe you guys can provide a bit of feedback on this particular one?

I also have a 15" surface cleaner (Home Depot version).

Another thing too.. There's a small hose attached to the engine right behind the choke switch electrical that looks like its attached to the pump... It looks like it might be a drainage hose, but it has this weird bend at the end that looks like it might go to something... I looked around and found a hole right under the muffler. I just want to make absolute sure that I'm not going to damage my equipment. Is the tube supposed to be in there? It might have gotten knocked loose when I was moving my equipment today :confused:

I'm not sure if my stuff sucks but I'll find out in the long run, I guess.

Florin Nutu

My name is Mike. I've seen how pressure washing is a great way to start off as a small side job. It can really blow up into a big thing and I think I've been bitten by the bug. Anyways, I've just found a trailer to haul all my gear on for $200 in pretty good condition, just a bit of rust, and right now I'm restoring it. Starting off, I had to keep in mind that I couldn't spend too much on the "business project" because we have a baby on the way. I've checked out my competition in my area and there are no actual pressure washing businesses, only equipment rental places and people that rent them and do it for a couple days (for real estate mostly...) I went to a couple of real estate places to see if I could get work, one said they might need a guy to pressure wash properties for them ;) I've got 5 jobs lined up at the moment. I've been studying and trying to learn about pressure washing as much as possible.

th_SANY0648.jpg

th_SANY0564.jpg

This trailer is around 20 or 30 years old... It has a name on it, says Ole' Reliable. Don't know anything else about it. It has been taken apart to remove as much rust as possible. I'm using a 40 grit wheel on my grinder to remove the paint and rust, then it will be ground smooth with a higher grit. It will be sprayed with rust protective primer, and then sprayed with 3 coats of fire engine red paint. I've still got quite a bit of work to do, but I'd give it another week or two.

After it's ready, I'll be hauling 2 33 gallon water totes, a Briggs & Stratton (Troy-Bilt made) 7.0 HP (which I cannot find anything on my particular model and nowhere on the machine does it say the model number, but it appears to be an older model.

DSCF5135.JPG

http://www.repocast.com/details.cfm?ID=3040# <------- for bigger pic

This is not the actual one I've got, but it looks just like mine.

A manual would be nice, but another good deal, I believed at the time ($100 dollars from a friend, rarely used it) 3000 PSI pressure washer that does 2.8 GPM (max rated), as much security as possible, and a truck tool box at the front, that I managed to snag for $50. I updated the hose, wand and sprayer before starting it. I checked the oil and gas and made sure everything was good to go.

This is how it's gonna look:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v...g Rig/?action=view&current=trailertoolbox.jpg

I've done some work in the driveway and on the sidewalk to get a feel of how to work with my equipment. First impressions on this particular pressure washer- good strong force. I liked it. I got out my nozzle tip chart and picked out the 15 degree nozzle and played on the concrete with it. It seems like I have hold the nozzle tip 3 inches away from the driveway to make a noticeable difference. As the water hits the driveway, bam, it was instantly clean!

I've picked up a few goodies for the pressure washing rig, such as a hose reel with wheels, but no handle for pulling. You have to grab it from the bottom piece going across, in order to pull it, and then 400 feet of industrial strength isn't exactly light... Sucks. I had to find a way to make one, so I drilled two holes on each side, and found an old children's bunk bed ladder, and drilled holes, and there I had a decent "more-mobile" hose reel. I also found a smaller hose reel and I attached it to the top of the pressure washer. Work's pretty good for now. Anything to make the job go faster, right? Pics up on the handle tomorrow.

th_SANY0568.jpg

Notice the LARGE size can of potato sticks (for a size reference).

I found a turbo nozzle here: http://www.tooloutfitters.com/3000lb-pressure-washer-turbo-nozzle.html

93650310-d798-4315-a244-b2551ccb8b23.jpg

It's about 19 bucks and I'm cheap, so this is a potential bargain for me. From what I've heard is that a turbo nozzle is definitely worth getting. Maybe you guys can provide a bit of feedback on this particular one?

I also have a 15" surface cleaner (Home Depot version).

Another thing too.. There's a small hose attached to the engine right behind the choke switch electrical that looks like its attached to the pump... It looks like it might be a drainage hose, but it has this weird bend at the end that looks like it might go to something... I looked around and found a hole right under the muffler. I just want to make absolute sure that I'm not going to damage my equipment. Is the tube supposed to be in there? It might have gotten knocked loose when I was moving my equipment today :confused:

I'm not sure if my stuff sucks but I'll find out in the long run, I guess.

First off... welcome to the board.

Post a pic of the tube you are talking about and we may be able to better help you.

I started off the same way you did with close to the same equipment... So from my experience here is my recomendations. SELL EVERYTHING YOU HAVE SO FAR!!!

That machine is way under what you need for gpm. Also am sure it is not made to handle the long hours of use and will probably cr@p out on you within a month. You want to have the very least 4gpms. Whats the point of having reels and such to save time if the actual washing process will be too slow. The totes are useless for that machine as well.

If you have a truck already then I suggest for the same money you have in this just get a cold machine of 4gpm or higher and stick it in the back of the truck. You can hand roll your hoses and carry around back there as well. If you cant affor a machine like that then rent one until you have done enough jobs to get a decent machine and future real trailer.

Make sure you budget for insurance and marketing.

Jim Cooney

Welcome to the UAMCC Mike. Best of luck to you and your start-up.

You said you have a Home Depot 15" surface cleaner ? never heard of it. Can you post a picture ?

Lot of experienced pro's on this board. I agree with Florin, if you want to make money invest in a good quality starter set-up. Hot water is KING, and the more GPM the better.

Not sure what your budget is, but there are many quality manufactures out there. If you're in Georgia, check out the Allison equipment at Envirospec.

http://www.envirospec.com/

Roger Gothorp

Hi Mike.......

Another GREAT opportunity - and close to you is the Sun Brite Supply Grand Opening & Networking Event coming up in a couple of weeks!

You will not only get good direction on your equipment needs from Sun Brite, but this event is offering some excellent classes and demonstrations, not to mention the networking with many of your colleagues. Attending round tables, etc... offers so many benefits!

Celeste

AquaBlast

First off... welcome to the board.

Post a pic of the tube you are talking about and we may be able to better help you.

I started off the same way you did with close to the same equipment... So from my experience here is my recomendations. SELL EVERYTHING YOU HAVE SO FAR!!!

That machine is way under what you need for gpm. Also am sure it is not made to handle the long hours of use and will probably cr@p out on you within a month. You want to have the very least 4gpms. Whats the point of having reels and such to save time if the actual washing process will be too slow. The totes are useless for that machine as well.

If you have a truck already then I suggest for the same money you have in this just get a cold machine of 4gpm or higher and stick it in the back of the truck. You can hand roll your hoses and carry around back there as well. If you cant affor a machine like that then rent one until you have done enough jobs to get a decent machine and future real trailer.

Make sure you budget for insurance and marketing.

As I do small jobs and earn enough to pay off what I spent on the equipment, which was not much at all (around $400), I've tried to do the best I can to get a start. Stuff may break and it may be crappy but at least I will learn from my mistakes. I should have mentioned, but this is only a temporary rig. As for the trailer, I don't see a need to change it unless I got a 275 gallon tote, or something of that size.

Here is the style of trailer that I have.

images

As for a vehicle, I'm using what I've got, which is a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport, so not exactly very roomy in the cargo area. I started with $1500 cars, fixing them up a tiny bit, and then selling them for a bit more, working my way up to a nicer car each time by doing the same thing. With the same idea, of adding craftsmanship and hard work into my equipment, I do believe that I can move up as well as learn the basics of pressure washing.

The purpose of the hoses and reels is for distance, organization, taking care of hoses, and quicker setup time. I don't want to end up 20 feet short of where I need to pressure wash if I'm running off a spigot, or even 100 feet. I want to be able to get the job done. If I learn that I can't get a job done due to equipment restrictions or realizing that I've got to drag this 200 pound hose down a flight of concrete stairs, and across a football field to get to where I need to be, chances are that I would probably regret not having something that could have saved me from going through a whole lot of trouble, and only took 5 minutes of imaginative thinking, and 20 minutes of work. Also, I've read that hose reels keep your hoses in better condition.

I can snap a few pics of the amount of difference my pressure washer makes tomorrow, as well as a picture of the hose problem.

I noticed that lot of people have surface cleaners, so I came upon this one...

shrink.jpg

I read what other people thought of it and how it performs. They seemed pleased with this product, and so I bought it. It was $36 dollars and before I bought it, I checked out the build quality and it seemed put together well and sturdy, but we will see how that goes.

The good thing about this surface cleaner is that it can be used on vertical surfaces since it's only five pounds, while many rolling surface cleaners are much heavier.

Here are a couple of reviews directly from Amazon.

Great surface cleaner!
5 star rating
by Ablewash from Middle Tn. on August 29, 2009 at Home Depot
"I own a small PW business. I run this surface cleaner with a 3000psi/4.5gpm machine. Works fantasitic!I've price professional 12" surface cleaners at $150+.This one is wider and built better! I've cleaned THOUSANDS of sq. ft. with it!A REAL time saver! Great product!"

Amazing
5 star rating
by craignc from charlotte, nc on October 20, 2009 at Home Depot
"I bought this product to clean a large cement driveway and a stone pool deck. I had high expectations based on other reviews and the fact that this is the type of product that the pros use to cut out labor and uniform cleaning. The product exceeded those expectations. I had two neighbors stop me and ask what it was and wanted to know where to buy one. I would have to describe this product as "infomercial good""

Here is a video of it as well.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLgwL0Gdm2A[/ame]

As for budgeting for insurance and marketing, I've found a lot of good information over on PressureNet, but that's where I'm still learning... I keep a receipt book. Will that be good for charging people or is there a better way? I can budget fairly well with Excel. I plan to set up an LLC for my business and get liability insurance.

I've actually been following the guidelines from this helpful guide on getting started.

http://www.pressurenet.net/gettingstarted.asp

So, any feedback on that turbo nozzle?

Florin Nutu

As I do small jobs and earn enough to pay off what I spent on the equipment, which was not much at all (around $400), I've tried to do the best I can to get a start. Stuff may break and it may be crappy but at least I will learn from my mistakes. I should have mentioned, but this is only a temporary rig. As for the trailer, I don't see a need to change it unless I got a 275 gallon tote, or something of that size.

Here is the style of trailer that I have.

images

As for a vehicle, I'm using what I've got, which is a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport, so not exactly very roomy in the cargo area. I started with $1500 cars, fixing them up a tiny bit, and then selling them for a bit more, working my way up to a nicer car each time by doing the same thing. With the same idea, of adding craftsmanship and hard work into my equipment, I do believe that I can move up as well as learn the basics of pressure washing.

The purpose of the hoses and reels is for distance, organization, taking care of hoses, and quicker setup time. I don't want to end up 20 feet short of where I need to pressure wash if I'm running off a spigot, or even 100 feet. I want to be able to get the job done. If I learn that I can't get a job done due to equipment restrictions or realizing that I've got to drag this 200 pound hose down a flight of concrete stairs, and across a football field to get to where I need to be, chances are that I would probably regret not having something that could have saved me from going through a whole lot of trouble, and only took 5 minutes of imaginative thinking, and 20 minutes of work. Also, I've read that hose reels keep your hoses in better condition.

I can snap a few pics of the amount of difference my pressure washer makes tomorrow, as well as a picture of the hose problem.

I noticed that lot of people have surface cleaners, so I came upon this one...

shrink.jpg

I read what other people thought of it and how it performs. They seemed pleased with this product, and so I bought it. It was $36 dollars and before I bought it, I checked out the build quality and it seemed put together well and sturdy, but we will see how that goes.

The good thing about this surface cleaner is that it can be used on vertical surfaces since it's only five pounds, while many rolling surface cleaners are much heavier.

Here are a couple of reviews directly from Amazon.

Here is a video of it as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLgwL0Gdm2A

As for budgeting for insurance and marketing, I've found a lot of good information over on PressureNet, but that's where I'm still learning... I keep a receipt book. Will that be good for charging people or is there a better way? I can budget fairly well with Excel. I plan to set up an LLC for my business and get liability insurance.

I've actually been following the guidelines from this helpful guide on getting started.

http://www.pressurenet.net/gettingstarted.asp

So, any feedback on that turbo nozzle?

OK. I get why the need for a trailer now. I still say save up till you get a better machine but it sounds like you are chomping at the bit to get started with what you got.

I am not sure if I read your reply wrong....but you really need to get insurance before you do any jobs. If you are having trouble with funds for a startup then I am sure you will have trouble covering a broken window when a tip flies or medical bills when somebody trips over your hoses.

I am interested in your report on that surface cleaner though. For 36 bucks it might be worth buying one and throwing it out every couple months if it breaks. I have alot of stair and sidewalk jobs that I can put my helper on that while I use my main surface cleaner.

I am not sure about that brand of turbo nozzle. For mine I just call up my vendor and say " send me one for this machine" and never look at the brand. Do be careful with the turbo... It can do some serious damage.

Roger Gothorp

No disrespect to the PressureNet website, but there are MANY users there that have no experience in business and are asking questions as opposed to providing answers. The articles that are on that site were put up quite a few years ago and by someone with limited experience in the industry then.

INTERACT with people with experience and knowledge.....you will never have a better teacher. And if you look close enough on the forums at pressurenet - you will see many familiar names that have posted solid information who are still in business and active here and other forums.

AquaBlast

No disrespect to the PressureNet website, but there are MANY users there that have no experience in business and are asking questions as opposed to providing answers. The articles that are on that site were put up quite a few years ago and by someone with limited experience in the industry then.

INTERACT with people with experience and knowledge.....you will never have a better teacher. And if you look close enough on the forums at pressurenet - you will see many familiar names that have posted solid information who are still in business and active here and other forums.

Well then I'll just get all my information and direct all my questions to this forum :biggrin:

Ken Fenner

Hey AquaBlast.. that's a helluva an intro! Your enthusiasm is contagious. Just like everything in life, it has to be tempered with experience. Glad you found us. Welcome to the forum.

AquaBlast

Well, I finally got me a turbo nozzle. I've been waiting for decent weather to try out my new gear. Hopefully tomorrow will be nice and I'll snap a few shots of my newest additions and some before and after pics of my work.

Randy Borio

Hey Mike welcome to our world. When it is time for an equipment upgrade check out a local equipment rental company. The bigger ones (R.S.C. & Sunbelt) will have great equipment for sale at very decent prices, and they have all the maintenance records for them. Also the insurance really should come before the rig leaves the yard. Like Florin said what happens if you break something or worse yet someone gets hurt? Anyway you seem to be headed in the right direction, and this is a great place to learn. Best of luck.
Randy