• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

What would you do?

Florin Nutu

I have a condo project that is supposed to start in two days. I was awarded this project towards the end of last year. It involves vynil siding wash of all buildings, all driveways and sidewalks on the premise. It is a $20,000 project.
I got a call today from a former board member of the complex today asking what my process for cleaning is and what solutions do I use. I explained my process for the vinyl siding of low pressure with the use of sh and Russ's BD200 as an additive. He asked how do I collect the solution water coming off the sides of the building and I told him that I dont and per regs it is allowed to go on landscape and let naturally filter in the ground while we wet alot to get chems under root line to not affect plants. He was irrate that "I will be spraying poison all over the property". He then asked for my procedure on the concrete cleaning which I explained to him that I will be plugging up the storm drains and diverting all the waste water and will sump it to landscape again. Again irrate that I will be poisoning the land. He then explained to me that he will make an example of me to the current board on how they made a bad decision on hiring me since he was booted off the board.
Later in the day I got a call from the city water bureau or something like that and they told me that I was reported by this guy. The said they will be there upon start of project and thruout the project to inspect my practices and make sure I am compliant thruout the whole job. I had to explain to him my procedures again and he made a mention that the vinyl wash practise is ok as long as it is a very mild solution..... this concerns me cause of what they will interpret as mild... what will they do when they get a good whiff of chlorine in the air required to clean properly. Second he said he was not sure but will look into the practice of letting wastewater on landscape via sump pump. But either way he is sure I can only do so much saturation and if it starts to runoff from area I am not compliant.

What would you do?
1. It will be a sure thing that there will be an enviromental guy there to inspect thruout a 2 week process
2. Any little accidental misshap of drain to stor drain will probably be an automatic fine since they will be there
3. ex board member will be there screaming to the community that I am poisoning their property.

Chris Tharpe

Edited after Florin cleared up the BOD part, originally stated an ex-bod and I thought from this industry not from the apartment association.

Last edited:

Jeff LeCours

I would contact the BOD and get more info about this guy. You may be able to use this info to explain the problem to the enviro guy. Check your laws well, you may have to postpone this project and really talk to the BOD, explain you are doing things right, but any mishap you could be liabale. You may have to make them liable

What a shame, there are some crazy people, real PITA's in this world

Good luck

John Tornabene

Member Guest
Hey Florin I would still do the job. There is a lady in Florida (Guys help me here) that post on PWI that sells a product from what I hear makes chlorine smell like Spice Apple. I would look into that. Don't let this guy scare you from making money on an agreed contract. I had a somewhat similar problem last year when were contracted to clean a condo complex and the ex Board member from that Condo complex was trying like heck to kill my deal so he could get his son in who lost his job at a bank.

End result it was the second time I cleaned that Condo Complex in the last 5 yrs and its the second time we got paid over $12,000 to do it. Stick to your guns and just be smart about it.

Good luck

Tony Shelton

Environmental Consultant / Past Director
I can see it now. Manufacturers lined up at city council meetings describing their latest gizmos like:

The "CribVac" - A vacuum system using power taken from the power panels of the house being cleaned and the two houses on each side to quickly suck up all runoff on all four sides of the house at once. It only costs $500 in electricity to be "environmentally compliant".

And

The "RoofJimmyHat" - a large latex cover that goes over the entire roof - the technician is forced to work inside where his lungs are used as a human filter leaving nothing but a harmless carbon dioxide residue (which will have to be offset with carbon credits of course)

Florin, having been on a couple of and HOA BOD's it's almost a guarantee that this guy is known for causing trouble. If it were me I'd ask for help from the BOD and ask for one of the members to accompany you on the first day to help you deal with the city guy and explain that this is all about competition and nothing to do with compliance.

Florin Nutu

They are definately on my side. They even offered to allow me to increase the price some due to the hassles and understand my labor will probably go up being extra careful on everything. And that is correct that the guy has a track record for being a jerk and is why he got booted off the board but they said he has never gone to extremes like calling city and such.

Does anybody have a copy of national bmp's on wastewater discharge (particularly where it states it can go to landscape) handy? The city guy actually asked ME for a copy cause I guess he cant find anything local?

Jeff LeCours

They are definately on my side. They even offered to allow me to increase the price some due to the hassles and understand my labor will probably go up being extra careful on everything. And that is correct that the guy has a track record for being a jerk and is why he got booted off the board but they said he has never gone to extremes like calling city and such.

Does anybody have a copy of national bmp's on wastewater discharge (particularly where it states it can go to landscape) handy? The city guy actually asked ME for a copy cause I guess he cant find anything local?

Call Robert Himderliter, he might be able to help you. maybe the PWNA, UAMCC could give this city guy a call

John Tornabene

Member Guest
Hey Florin--call Pete Marentey or Tracy from www.sunbritesupply.com They used to do a certification course on Environmental cleaning. They may even still do that. They might be able to send you something that says what you can and can not do when it comes to being compliant when there are environmental concerns.

Rob Huffman

Florin,
The city offical is asking you most likely because they dont have BMPs in place. Look up BMPs per city ordinance and if nothing comes up then go to county or state. Call your state reps and ask. I would also file a threat with the police department for the ex bod member saying what he did. Be nice to the city officials, even if they use the term mild lol, tell them that mild for your typical usage. Use examples of homeowners washing their own houses and wasting a ton more water then you, as a professional, knowing how much DETERGENTS and using less water even diluting the DETERGENTS...

Good luck my friend

Trevor Steel

Wow stick to and yes I would raise the price. I would also speak to Robert h. or Larry. Maybe the uamcc bod can consult them and right an official letter head to the poa bod and city officials. What do you think Florin?

Florin Nutu

If thats the case their should be no issues at all.

Maybe you are seeing it but I cannot see where I am allowed to sump onto landscape. The building washing is not really an issue anymore.... the only one is when I will have to use some chems to spot clean oil spots on driveways and what to do with the water.

I rescheduled all work that had lined up for tomorrow so I have all day free to visit with the city guy, search and gather info and rewalk the property to see if any different options arrise

cleanhoods

Florin if the buildings isnt an issue do them at your quoted price.Now since the walks and drives are a issue contain your waste since your basically doing so and haul it off, of course the price goes up for the time of containment and the time it takes to haul and dispose of what you contained.Now the BOD of the HOA can use that against the old BOD member showing how much more he costed the HOA and the headache he caused by being so sore.
Marko

Russ Spence

Maybe you are seeing it but I cannot see where I am allowed to sump onto landscape. The building washing is not really an issue anymore.... the only one is when I will have to use some chems to spot clean oil spots on driveways and what to do with the water.

I rescheduled all work that had lined up for tomorrow so I have all day free to visit with the city guy, search and gather info and rewalk the property to see if any different options arrise
I feel this is a gray area where you need to read between the lines, they say it cant go down the drain, pumping wash water runoff to a grassy area is a preventive measure and the soil acts as a natural filter as well.

(Thats my simplified version)

Ron Musgraves

Past President
Staff member
I recommend you see what the EPA says about materials washing off buildings? Do they consider it hazardous material????

We all know that beyond the water leaving the property your ok.

However if they have a convern for the polution or other materials you might be washing into the soil to contaminate the Ground then you have a real issue.

I have to ask, is this community on well water? I know thats a long shot but have to ask.

Florin Nutu

No well water.

Update: Finally started the job on Monday. Plugged up all storm drains and firehose/sandbagged area just before water can leave property, been sumping into landscape the little water that pooled up because I have it traveling so far that most evaporates before it gets to the bottom of the property. When I start doing the concrete there will be more water pooling up and this property is on a steep hill and the water might run and will be hard to control and have it filter thru the ground so am prepared with 2 - 250gallon totes to sump into and dispose into sanitary sewer on property.

The city guy came today and inspected and was very happy with our methods. He praised us for what we were doing on being compliant and mentioned that he knows and understands there is not too many companies in my area that are.

I want to thank you Robert H for the CD and epa info that you sent me which I provided for the city guy which clarified alot of things for him.

Thank you Trevor and the UAMCC for taking interest into my dilemma and helping walk me thru this.

GO UAMCC!!!!