• As of January 1, 2018 The brand new logo that was created and released in 2017 will be the only official logo in affect and allowed to be used on any electronic media however, any such media like truck wraps, stationary, and postcards will be grandfathered in. Contributing Members will be allowed to use the UAMCC logo in any advertising. Permission to use the logo otherwise must be in writing. Logos used in electronic formats (ie: Websites, forums, etc.) must be linked back to the member’s profile in the UAMCC directory. Contributing Members are members that are paid and current with their dues. Please contact info@uamcc.org with any questions.

Reefer Trailer pricing

somepressure

I know some people aren't going to like this (asking about pricing, due to the 100's of variables) but I apologies, I just really need some advice!

I have been putting my name out and about to potential commercial clients and although the response has been ...**yawn** so far I have had one person come back to me. They very (un)helpfully provided minimum details in asking for a quote for cleaning reefer trailers.

They haven't told me how many trailers (not more than a couple I would think, knowing the outfit) or anything about whether this would be a regular clean, or a case of cleaning 5 years of dirt off an old trailer that has been sitting idle in the yard!!! I'm guessing this is point A in deciding on pricing, but still, please bear with me.

This minimal info I can provide right now is not very helpful I know.. but any thoughts on pricing would be appreciated (and how this might vary once I do get more details) as I just really don't want to go straight back to the client, open my mouth and immediately look like I have no clue what I'm talking about! (technically true at this point, but not good for business....) Thanks :redface:

Chris Tharpe

Fill out your signature and you may get some help but personally I cannot give you input as the main factor in my pricing is based on HOW OFTEN & HOW MANY, nothing to me is more important in fleetwashing

somepressure

I tried to fill out the [pointless] signature for you, and got...
Fatal error: Class 'vBCms_Route_List' not found in /home4/theuamcc/public_html/forum/member.php on line 567

Trevor Steel

Some people are not comfortable sharing pricing info, and not knowing who you are or where you operate doesn't help. You could be in direct competition with some of the members here.don't be discouraged people will help if you full in your signature.hope this helps.

somepressure

So what, because the site wont let me do it your going to ignore me mobilewashpros? How mature. My 'point' was, does it really matter if my sig is filled out, you can see from my username my company name, and I'll happily provide you with the rest of the info. It's not like I'm hiding anything (?!?)...

Given that you are southern US and I am East Canada I doubt we have many competition issues...

Cameron
New Germany, NS B0R1E0

Last edited:

Chris Tharpe

So what, because the site wont let me do it your going to ignore me mobilewashpros? How mature. My 'point' was, does it really matter if my sig is filled out, you can see from my username my company name, and I'll happily provide you with the rest of the info. It's not like I'm hiding anything (?!?)...

Given that you are southern US and I am East Canada I doubt we have many competition issues...

Cameron
New Germany, NS B0R1E0

nothing more to add to this thread. I actually had a long thought out post that had good pointers on pricing in it but after a quick re-read of your comment back to the request for a signature I see I am done here. You join the forum on 7-9 then get upset 6 days later when you post a thread about pricing. Best of luck

Last edited:

Scott Stone

I am close to Chris in pricing. I like weekly washes myself, though. By the way, you are probably a bit foolish to complain that someone does not want to help you on pricing. He has no idea if it is one of his accounts that you are trying to undercut. Silliness abounds sometimes, every where.

somepressure

And to think that all I was politely asking for was a vague, ballpark guide on pricing... I get scolded, ignored and mildly abused - not to mention called 'silly'. Wow.

Last edited:

Scott Stone

You need to stop and think about this. Put it this way, a guy calls you on the phone. Says that he is from California, tells you he is going into business, and wants your pricing. What do you do? You don't know for sure who the guy is, and if he really is from California. Do you give him general information, or do you give him exact information?
I have had that scenario happen. Had a competitor call me saying that they were from somewhere else to get my pricing. I knew they were lying because of caller ID. Imagine my lack of surprise when a contract I was bidding on came up with their bid, 5% lower then the price I gave them.

somepressure

Ok I get the idea... so how am I supposed to prove I am who I say I am? All I asked for was very general guidelines on pricing a trailer... is it a $50 or $500 job, what sort of range and what would affect the range, do you charge extra for insides or price inclusive, that sort of stuff.... Anyway, my mistake - guess I'll just enter the business working with pure guesswork.

I know it'd probably take me an hour or so to clean a dirty trailer, so $5 gas for my machine, say $10 for detergent, $3 for a bottle of pop in case I get thirsty.... I'll email the guy with that breakdown, tell him I'll charge him $19 for it and see what happens. All being well I'll make $1 profit on it.. not bad considering I have no clue what is a reasonable price and what is going to get me flat out laughed at.

Thad Eckhoff

According to the posted BBS rules, all posters are to have a signature with their name and company name. A phone number is optional.
However, if you really want answers to your questions you will include all info including your location. You don't have to include it, but remember that other users don't have to answer your questions.

Chris Tharpe

Ok I get the idea... so how am I supposed to prove I am who I say I am? All I asked for was very general guidelines on pricing a trailer... is it a $50 or $500 job, what sort of range and what would affect the range, do you charge extra for insides or price inclusive, that sort of stuff.... Anyway, my mistake - guess I'll just enter the business working with pure guesswork.

I know it'd probably take me an hour or so to clean a dirty trailer, so $5 gas for my machine, say $10 for detergent, $3 for a bottle of pop in case I get thirsty.... I'll email the guy with that breakdown, tell him I'll charge him $19 for it and see what happens. All being well I'll make $1 profit on it.. not bad considering I have no clue what is a reasonable price and what is going to get me flat out laughed at.

It shouldn't take you an hour per trailer maybe 6-8 per hour. Just remember the general target $100 per hour, and start building your business around that. YOu will soon find out what works for you and if you make money @ $19.00 per trailer. I have some trailers that are washed at $16.00 per trailer and others that are @ $25.00 per trailer. The variables that mean the most are the intervals of washing, as well as the location and its relevance to other stops we currently make. If the account has 50 pieces the pricing will generally be lower than a stop that has 10 trailers.

somepressure

Chris: Thank you! That is very helpful and I appreciate it.

Clean Image / Thad: Please read the start of this thread and you will see the error message I get continually when I try to access my account control panel. You will however also see all the info I WOULD happily put in my sig in one of my posts, including my phone number. here it is again....

SOME PRESSURE
Pressure Washing Services
541-9571 / some_pressure@yahoo.ca
New Germany, NS B0R1E0

somepressure

UPDATE... you guys are going to be really happy because guess what, my account control area is working today and I filled in my sig for you with exactly the same info I posted earlier in this thread. And there was much rejoicing.

Trevor Steel

yayyyyyy! lol thanks for hanging in there. My experience is similar to Chris. There are many things that can affect the price. I like to start high and then find ways to lower my price to beet the competition and in this field of work you almost always be assured there will be other bids. Number of pieces of equipment, will there be any aluminum brightening, Reclaim?, and frequency of wash. I also like to provide two quotes whether they ask for it or not. One is for a bi-weekly service (higher price) and the other for a weekly service (as low as I can get it ) Like chris said everyones prices will vary the goal is to streamline your cleaning process and become the fastest and best at what you do so you can get away with charging less than your competition. Hope this helps.